staying positive on race week

Options
Why is it I can finish my practices and feel great and the next day I'm thinking...what can I do to be faster? Should I go practice the hill? Should I go swim yet again?

I need to focus on staying positive this week. I'm on track to shave 33 min from my last sprint tri last year.

What do y'all do to keep yourself from pushing yourself for a better time on race week? How do you turn off that voice in your head that says go run again and make it faster?

ughhh I want to enjoy it not stress over it. LOL

Replies

• vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! The voices in my head always make me feel guilty for not doing more. During the summer i was able to work out at two different times during the day, but now that school is in full swing, I often can't do that due to night commitments with my kids (soccer, meetings, etc). I am always beating myself up for not getting in the second workout. Now, if I think about it, I am getting in the same workout. I get up earlier so that I can do it all before work, but just the fact that it is not two times makes me frustrated. I am trying to be positive with myself, but it is hard.

I am not sure if I have any good advice for you, but I always believe that acknowledging a problem is a good first step. Tell yourself that you have done enough. Tell yourself that you are ready. It might not work....but it might?!

Good luck. I know you will be great.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Honestly you just have to know that come race week the training is in the past and it's time to get focused on racing. There is NOTHING you can do to make your time significantly faster at that point. Taper as you see fit and get rested to push as hard as you can race day.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I get a little worried about getting hurt, straining something or crashing my bike. The close I am to race day, the more I worry about it. I guess that keeps me from pushing to hard. And, like the more experienced guy above me said, there's really nothing you can do at this point to improve your time this weekend. You have done the work! Trust your training!
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Honestly you just have to know that come race week the training is in the past and it's time to get focused on racing. There is NOTHING you can do to make your time significantly faster at that point. Taper as you see fit and get rested to push as hard as you can race day.
    ^^ this - great advice!

You'll be even faster on race day than you have been in training because it is a race and your adrenaline will be going. Don't worry about it and keep to your schedule. You'll do great!