Literary folks?? Anyone there??

Options
Ok, I'll admit it. Much as I love the gym and try and squeeze some cardio/strength/pilates every day, a rather large part of me (maybe my chest, or that slowly shrinking muffin top - still large enough) loves to curl up with a bl00dy good book. And no, sorry to all those out there that loved it, but I don't mean the atrociously written '50 shades' (I read the opening 3 pages of my mum's copy and the total lack of even one decent sentence put me off - but then I'm guessing most women don't read it for the prose style!). I mean great, sometimes groundbreaking literature. Contemporary and classic. The Booker Prize is fabulous this year - forgoing the populist 'readability' criteria to shortlist Will Self, and recognising the amazing feat of Hilary Mantel coming up with a sequel that's just as good as 'Wolf Hall'.

Anyone fancy sharing their book choices with a UK-based group? I'm sure it's fine if we just remember to stand up and move around once in a while; a few bicep curls with 'Ulysses' perhaps? A tricep dip with 'Moby ****'?

xx

Replies

• primrosehill
    primrosehill Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Melville had his whale censored!! Ok, I'll make it 'Anna Karenina' in light of the new film adaptation. Surely sitting on my backside at the cinema will make me look like Keira Knightley - no?
    x
  • CelticHippo
    CelticHippo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have to say my preference is for a good book as well, especially if its a Mr Pratchett..however I have been known to take my book to the gym and sit on the recline bike while reading.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    About to start The Woman who went to bed for a Year' (Sue Townsend) my bookclub' s choice- wonder if she gained weight and who cooked her dinnner? :)
  • Gelly_Bean
    Gelly_Bean Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Did I hear you mention Ulysses? I haven't finished it yet - the brothel chapter is tough. Have you finished that literary marathon yourself?
  • hopperem
    hopperem Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness had me weeping. Quite brilliant book.
  • Murf1968
    Murf1968 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am a book fiend, hence my full bookshelves:

tkAQa.jpg

Loads of Stephen King, Terry Pratchett, John Grisham and autobiographies too.

I bought a kindle last year and am currently in the process of filling that! :explode:
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love curling up before bed with a good book! I am going through a period of re-reading some favourites at the moment, American Gods, by Neil Gaiman currently, then i think i'll read The Book Thief again.
    Definitely gonna read Will Self's latest one too after that, i loved The Book of Dave!
    Also, i know kindles are great and all that, but i am yet to be converted, my books make me happy. Seeing them on my shelf pleases me no end. In fact, if i go to someone's house and they have no books, it worries me!
    Also, a friend of mine bought me all those 50 shades books for my birthday. Oh dear. I didn't have the heart to say "What are you thinking???" i'm no prude, but decent writing skills are a must!!
  • Murf1968
    Murf1968 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The last three books that I have bought for my kindle, I have also bought hardbacks to put on my bookshelves unopened.

Is that weird? I think it's weird.
  • ruthio77
    Options
    Highly recommend The Fault in our Stars by John Green.

It's a teenage book really, but so beautifully and cleverly written. I curled up in bed one Sunday morning and read the whole thing in 3 hours. absoulte roller coaster of emotions. Wonderful!
  • ruthio77
    Options
    The last three books that I have bought for my kindle, I have also bought hardbacks to put on my bookshelves unopened.

Is that weird? I think it's weird.

Lol, it's not weird, makes perfect sense to me!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Bibliophile here! Having fun with Mr Coetzee and 'Summertime' at the moment. Somehow I missed it.
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Love books.
    Kindle full of quick reads, shelves (and floor stacks) for "proper books".
    Sebastian Faulks, probably favourite but will try anything - except the 50 shades trilogy- also liked Neil GAimon "American Gods" which was recent gift.
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm a massive bookworm! I have around 2000 sci fi titles in the house ! Love it!!
  • murmuration
    murmuration Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Another devoted reader here! Re the Booker, I haven't read any of them yet, but have bought The Lighthouse and Bring up the Bodies for my kindle, so will read them soon.
    I bought a kindle last year because my books were threatening to take over my tiny flat. I still buy paper books and always will, but I needed to stem the tide a bit before I'm found hidden under my collapsed book cases :laugh: One of my dreams is to have a house with enough space for a booklined room(s).
  • primrosehill
    Options
    Did I hear you mention Ulysses? I haven't finished it yet - the brothel chapter is tough. Have you finished that literary marathon yourself?

I read Ulyssees when I was 17. Tried to read it again a couple of months back and struggled!
  • primrosehill
    Options
    There are some great recommendations here! And so nice to know that in the quest for the body beautiful we're not prepared to let our cerebral sides down!

Keep 'em coming book-lovers. I must get me some Gaiman....
  • Jackie80taylor
    Jackie80taylor Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i was on the search for a good book... NOT 50 shades lol... but when i couldn't find exactly what i was after i decided to write my own, self publish it and feel like i had achieved something :-)