Chippy tea anyone? Urgh...

Options
dididede
dididede Posts: 61 Member
So just as I'm getting into the swing of things, the OH has just dropped a bombshell. He wants to go the chip shop for dinner tonight. I should probably say from the outset here that this is not an every day occurance, more of a once a month treat. Of course I don't have to go along with it, I can quite easily say you and the kids enjoy and I'll russle something up for myself, but oooosh as Keith Lemon says, here's full on temptation staring me straight in the face.

So I find myself thinking, if I was to embrace the chance of a night without cooking, what would be the healthiest option for a chippy tea? A single fish with the batter picked off and a plate of salad? A chicken kebab perhaps? I see there's a baked potato with tuna mayo on the food listings for 688 cal from Wetherspoons, mmmm could maybe go for that.

Or there's a portion of homemade soup in the fridge, I could just have that with a roll, although I did have that for lunch already today!

Any suggestions folks?

Replies

• the3rdwife
    the3rdwife Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    fish with the batter off & chips, just go for a long walk after ?
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If we decide to do the fish & chips, we just get 1 medium fish & chips & share it! That way we get the treat, but not all the calories - generally don't eat all the chips either! Guess your OH may not be up for the sharing a portion? Maybe with the kids?
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Chippy tea for the WIN! Have whatever you want then go for a walk after and have sex before you go to bed... the extra calories from the chippy tea will have been burned!
  • heidibannister
    heidibannister Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh dangerous stuff, although a friend of mine who lost about 30Kg did have fish and chips and just counted the calories into her allowance, the extra exercise could help but have to say the soup and roll sounds a better option from where I am sitting, you'll only regret it
  • lalacroft25
    lalacroft25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    look at it this way. why are you changing your eating habbits in the first place? its because you want to be healthier and slimmer. that doesnt mean to say you have to stop living. everything in moderation. get the fish supper but sit down to eat it and eat it slowly. it will give your brain time to register when your are actually full instead of eating it all and being stuffed after. :)
  • dididede
    Options
    Chippy tea for the WIN! Have whatever you want then go for a walk after and have sex before you go to bed... the extra calories from the chippy tea will have been burned!

Love this post! I am blushing a bit tho, it's not Christmas yet you know hehe x
  • dididede
    Options
    Thanks for all your lovely replies. I went for the baked potato in the end but OH forgot to ask for tuna on it so it was just a plain baked potato with coleslaw, not bad eh? I fair enjoyed it to, even more so with my halo intact. What did you all have?
  • lalacroft25
    lalacroft25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    well i was going to have curry flavour savoury rice but it was horible so settled for some crackers with tomato and ham on. no cheese and to be honest didnt really notice the difference. and since its cut my cals im gonna have another options before bed :)
  • amateurdude
    amateurdude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If it's a decent chippy then they're not actually that bad for you. I'd have just gone for it tbh.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If it were me I'd have gone with the fish and chips but...make sure you plan for it which means eat light for breakfast and lunch, no snacking between meals and plan in some good calorie burning exercise for the day. I also find that the portions at our local chippy are far too big and I share a portion. As a family of 4 we usually order two medium size fish and chips, hubby and son (teenager) get the larger half of each portion, daughter and I get the smaller part of each portion. If this is a lifestyle change then you need to be able to take part in all family eating activities so that you don't end up feeling deprived, just that you need to plan in advance for it and make sensible decisions about how much of it and how often you're going to eat it.
  • GuineaMother
    GuineaMother Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh god I could so go for that. But it's one of the worst things you could have- all fried in oil, batter and it's always MASSIVE portions. I say go for whatever you have at home and just nick a couple of your OH's chips to make you feel you haven't missed out too much!!
  • dididede
    Options
    Well, it got me back in the end. Woke up during the night thinking I was going to be sick - you know that way when your mouth fills up with saliva and you keep swallowing? Urgh. The good news is I've been a bit reluctant to eat today with still feeling a bit dodgy, must've been that coleslaw on the baked tattie. Should've gone for the fish supper after all lol! Actually I'm not all that keen on fish n chips, my choice for a chippy tea always used to be a pizza but I wouldn't dream of ordering that now since I've started on here.

What's your favourite healthy dinner since you've been doing this?
  • Deka61
    Options
    If we decide to do the fish & chips, we just get 1 medium fish & chips & share it! That way we get the treat, but not all the calories - generally don't eat all the chips either! Guess your OH may not be up for the sharing a portion? Maybe with the kids?

This is what i do, get one and share it, still a treat but half the calories, about 350-500 depending on the portion size.
  • glenncomiskey
    glenncomiskey Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I've really got into chicken/turkey salads for lunch. Lettuce, spring onion, tomatoe, a bit of feta and some beetroot mixed with diced chicken or turkey - tastes great, especially if made the night before so all the flavours fuse together. Typically only around 220cals.

In the evening, tuna, lime & coriander fish cakes (Sainsbury's) with salad and a spicy tomatoe salsa. The fish cakes taste great, though a bit high calorie wise (456) but this is offset by having a salad and tomatoe salsa which in fact really complement the fish cakes.

You've got me all hungry now! :-)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

This is what i do, get one and share it, still a treat but half the calories, about 350-500 depending on the portion size.
    This!! Not done a Chippy night in ages!! It was never a regular thing in our house, but where once I could happily have chomped a medium fish and chips all by myself, I now can literally only manage half.
  • dididede
    Options

I've really got into chicken/turkey salads for lunch. Lettuce, spring onion, tomatoe, a bit of feta and some beetroot mixed with diced chicken or turkey - tastes great, especially if made the night before so all the flavours fuse together. Typically only around 220cals.

In the evening, tuna, lime & coriander fish cakes (Sainsbury's) with salad and a spicy tomatoe salsa. The fish cakes taste great, though a bit high calorie wise (456) but this is offset by having a salad and tomatoe salsa which in fact really complement the fish cakes.

You've got me all hungry now! :-)
  • dididede
    Options
    Meant to say, love the sound of these meals!
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You dodged a bullet there honey! I decided that just for once chips from the chippy would be ok and oh my gawd was i ill after! I think my body has gotten used to eating healthier and it was making me pay big time for eating greasy chips! NEVER again I tell you! LOL
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    I've had a chippy Friday all the way through my regime.. It finishes off the week :)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I've had a chippy Friday all the way through my regime.. It finishes off the week :)

Glad to hear that, and it seems to have no big affect judging by your "loss" sticker

There is a new chippy opening near me soon so may jsu venture in once I get down a bit more