Trying to stay healthy in healthcare

Options
Hi all, my name is David I'm new to this group :smile:

I'm a second year medical student and ironically have found that the more time I spend learning about and trying to help the health of others, the worse my own seems to be getting!! I've been up as much as 40 lbs since college, and have been trying to slowly work it off since then -- but with fluctuating success. I'm hoping MFP will help me stay more consistent.

I was inspired recently by signing The Patient Promise (www.thepatientpromise.org), an oath of health care professionals trying to practice healthy lifestyle behaviors similar to those they would suggest to patients. I encourage anyone who wants to, to check it out and sign as well!

But as I said, I'm hoping to friend a few people to help stay consistent with, and would love to be able to ask advice about trying to stay healthy within a healthcare setting. Thanks!

Replies

• Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Since I moved from patient/facilitysetting to a position that involves a lot of yakka quakka (I am an old guy now!), I have had difficulty keeping weight off. Difficulty means I didn't pay attention to calories in/calories out. Logging all food has made me make choices as to what was worth working off and what wasn't. Take the time to log and it will guide you.

Even with your schedule/duties and maybe even not enough time or energy for workouts, diet control works. Lost 40 to date and 28 to go. You can do it!
  • jdgatz
    jdgatz Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi and thanks for the encouragement! And congrats of making so much progress; that's fantastic. And I agree, logging everything has been helpful, particularly in turning down those random times free food is being offered. I used to always end up eating when I wasn't even that hungry.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The only legal thing we can accept is food! God bless the folks who are appreciative with it,(especially if they give fresh, not leftovers for night shift)).Makes it hard some days.
  • mjwardone
    Options
    It is so so hard to eat healthy studying/working > 100 hrs a week. That 4th meal seems like a good idea on 30 hr call. Skip it. Pack your own lunches, pack your own snacks. This helps so much, and saves you money in the end too. Skip the creamer with coffee cup 5#. Take a quick few block walk every hour between books. You will feel better about yourself, you will be able to remember what you are studying more easily. And you won't feel like a hypocrite when you talk to your patients.

Just remember, your are working towards the best job in the world!
  • cait287
    Options
    I bought a fitbit, which definitely helps inspire me to take the stairs when I'm on call. It's amazing how motivating a number can be (especially to med students like us, who are typically so goal oriented!!).

I also second the packing lunches. It's so much easier to budget food when you have a set amount in your bag. And bring LOTS of baby carrots - and switch to milk and sweetener in your coffee. You WILL get used to it.