meatless mock meats

Options
sphyxy
sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
I know processed isn't good for you, blahblahblah, but when I am cravings meat, I make some!

What are your favorites?

I love the Tofurky Bologna for lunch, and everything I have tried by Gardein so far is stellar. I must also add that the trader joes pulled chickenless chicken is AMAZING. It reminds me of pulled bbq pork!

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've got a stash of Garden Burgers in my freezer, I also like Boca Burgers. I'm pretty new to this, so I haven't tried too much. I did have Gardein Pulled BBQ shreds last week that was pretty good too.
  • dyskras
    dyskras Posts: 54
    Options
    I love Gardein so so much.

But my favorite thing lately has been Vegetarian Plus ( but it's vegan) Citrus Spare Ribs. Oh my god. So so so so so good.
  • mlssanne
    mlssanne Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also like the Gardein Pulled BBQ shreds!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love Tofurky brand kielbasas! My boyfriend loves them too and he's not even a vegetarian. Boca spicy chik'n patties are good. Morning Star's fake meat crumbles are good too, I made biscuits and gravy with them a couple of times and it was so delicious
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the Tofurky Kielbasa, but I love the Italian flavored. It is delicious on pizza, in pasta, so many places. Even my daughter likes it. Gardien is new to those of us in the south, but Winn Dixie is carrying it and Publix and I like the Mandarin Chicken. I buy something new each trip to the grocerty to try.
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Everything Gardein. I don't know how they do it, but everything of theirs I've had has been simply amazing.

I'd like to learn to make seitan though, so I can begin making my own (healthier) meet substitutes.
  • jebreject
    Options
    I also really like the Hickory Smoked Tofurkey deli slices, but they're really high in sodium
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burgers (they are vegetarian but not vegan). To me they can go Tex Mex or Middle Eastern/Greek depending on what you serve them with. When I am craving breakfast "meat" I also like their Maple Flavored Sausage Patties. I like most Gardein products as well, though I recently tried their "chicken" scalloppine-style cutlets in a recipe and thought they were just kind of blah.

Veggie Chik'n nuggets tossed in buffalo wing sauce are 'da bomb!

Have you tried any of the Quorn products? Their crumbles are pretty good, too - I made taco filling with then a few nights ago.

I use tempeh on occasion as well. The trick to tempeh is to make sure you cook it thoroughly first, otherwise it can be kind of bitter. I usually marinate it and then bake it for 10-15 minutes (or saute) before using it in a recipe such as a stir fry.

I too, would like to learn how to make seitan!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I keep the Morningstar chik'n strips in my fridge. I'm not much of a gardein fan. Last night, we had the Amy's Sonoma burgers for dinner and they are pretty good. I've fallen out of making seitan but it is so easy.
  • jebreject
    Options
    I don't know if the quality has changed or it's just me, but I used to really like Quorn, but not so much any more.

Really good tempeh tip there! Marinading is key!
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't really like Quorn either. My absolute favorite is Worthington Fri Chik - to use in stir fry, especially with lemon and garlic and other veggies. Unfortunately, it isn't available everywhere. Seventh Day Adventist book stores usually sell it and Apple Valley Natural Foods. I try not to use to terribly often, but it is a nice treat!
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yeah---the mock meats are now considered my "junk food'--but I hear ya girl. Sometimes a big messy Boca burger wards off the meat-monster. Also- Burger King makes a great messy flame broiled veggie burger
    Or ---Morning Star Sausages or their bacon? Yum

But the best
    The Boca Spicy Chicken Burgers---I broil (used to broil) them crispy. Cut them into big chunks mixed with onion,mayo and grapes.
    Serve on a bed of romaine, tomato,thin sliced cukes
    Hello Chicken Salad! :love: Addictive!

Also bean curd sheets at Chinese Veggie restaurant tastes like duck
    (salivates!)
  • jennsea
    jennsea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Morningstar bacon strips ... Best fake meat product I've had so far!! Trader Joe's soy chorizo is yummy too!
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    field roast <3 best vegan meat ever
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have to go Trader Joe to get their pulled chickenless chicken.
    My favorite burger is morning star Griller.
  • jodmend
    jodmend Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Definitely Field Roast--all of them. So very good!
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Field Roast is definately my favorite
    and Gardein (But I do not like their beef--a-likes) Also, on a road trip I will make sandwiches with LightLife Bologna, yum!
  • tinkerbek
    tinkerbek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I realize no one has talked in this thread for a few weeks now but i just saw it and thought i'd chime in! I'm just discovering the gardein products and just love them! most of them, anyway. i do like quorn for their "chicken" pieces, naked cutlets and patties. there's also, at whole foods, a product called Delight Soy Patties... mock chicken. SO GOOD. I chop them in my food proccesor and make chicken salad out of it. yum! interesting hearing everyone's favorites!
  • DinahCakes
    DinahCakes Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Am I mistaken, or aren't all the fake meats high in sodium (which is why I luuuuuuuuv them too much)?
  • baypeach
    baypeach Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love trader Joe's chicken less mandarin orange morsels