Plans made to be broken?! UH HUH..no!!!!!!

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Hey, my challenge for you today is not necessarily for today but for the future so you are making PLANS.

How do you plan to challenge yourself this winter to stay active especially once it gets cold, starts to snow and bitter winds.
It is easy to get in hibernation mode and lose your mojo!

How do you want to stay on top and actually GO to the gym, bootcamp, class or get up from covers and do the exercise dvd?!?!?
Think now because winter is approaching some of us sooner then later.

I am going to take some classes at the recreation center because once I pay money...I got to go!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I plan on keeping the same diet as long as it still works.

For exercise I plan on bundling up until it's just too cold. Then I'll hit the hamster wheels (treadmill/ellyptical/lifecycle) and if I'm REALLY motivated I'll try and hit a spinning class or the weight room. A monthly YMCA membership is only $35 a month.

*I should be able to get in some good reading on the hamster wheels that I've been neglecting.
  • fionafancypants
    Options
    Yup, mojo totally lost last year! I'm in Seattle so cold is not as much
    An issue as is the wet. I have my plan set though, I have a bike, stationary, and a step climber, so on
    The days I wanna bail on myself, I'll make sure to give each machine some attention! I've
    Learned I bail on the gym very easily. Easier to get up and get to work!!

Or so my intentions are
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    I always had SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) when I lived in Washington. The best anti-funk I've found is sunshine. If you can replace a florescent light at work with a UV, or hit a tanning bed every once in a while it can help get the funk out.

Here's a wiki article on treatment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder#Treatment
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I live in Houston, Texas. Winter? lol! Late September-March is bike riding season and I got me a new road bike!
    Bike trails here I come! :)
    I'm sorry for people who are in cold areas, but also jealous of your snow.... :( will you mail me some?
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    Just crush up all that hail you seem to get every year down in Texas.
  • jpiane
    Options
    The issue for me with Winter is not motivation, its time. Everyone is trying to get together and there so many places you're expected to be. 'I need to go to the gym, first' never seems to be an acceptable excuse for some people. The other issue is Holiday treats. Everyone is baking. Sometimes it feels rude not taste it. Other times, you want to once a year treat. Either way, it all seems to add up.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's plan.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm with the person from Texas! Arkansas does not get that cold either. I just recently purchased some cold-weather athletic gear for the mornings that are under 40-45 degrees - a pair of compression pants, a long sleeved tech shirt. Throw on a toboggan or some earwarmers and I'm out the door. If its rainy and cold, I have plenty of DVDs I can do instead. Maybe get back on 30DS or Powersculpt, or bellydancing - which I need to do anyway. :)

And on the issue of time - I usually go first thing in the morning. My feet hit the ground and I get dressed and get outside.

Sweet treats and casseroles can be my downfall. But I can get around it by planning to have a small serving of it and have something low calorie like soup for lunch - cuz I can't bring myself to eat salads when its cold out. I know I'll have treats this winter, but if I workout and watch my calories every other meal, those treats won't hurt me.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Ms Whitney I love the Beastly Amazonian attitude way to go girlfriend! Rah!!!!!!

Hey Aakaakaak you crack me up....always! LOOOL!!!!! Crush up hail!

Plans are good and sometimes need to be tweaked but if you have no plan or goal then often times we are left in the 'grey' zone and how dangerous do we all know that zone is!!!!!

Ms Jpaine.....There are many ways to get around the 'treats at parties' or have your treat and be healthy too! I remember Weight Watchers gave us great tips...I have to look them up again.
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Although in Michigan we definitely have winter and I do become a hermit, my issue is not with cold icky weather. I have that covered, I have a workout room, a bike in my bedroom, DVD's galore, and printouts for strength training. My issue is what to do when I get home too late and cannot do my end of day kill those calories workout. This week I missed 4 evening workouts. I have got to get my eating under control. It is not always feasible to burn off the overage.
  • Butler018
    Butler018 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm in Winnipeg (or Winterpeg as we are often called) and it gets very cold here in the winter. For any US people who aren't familiar with all of Canada, Wpg is right in the center of the continent on the prairies. Just think of the movie "Fargo" and you have an idea (it was not an exaggeration); we are just north of the border from Fargo.

Anyway, winters are long and it's dark when you go to work in the morning and dark when you leave work at 4:30. And you're right we have to plan for action or it's too easy to go home, turn on the light, grab comfy pants and spend the evening cozy in front of the tv. So this year, I've joined the YMCA and it happens to be on the same bus route as I take going home... except it's PAST my house so I plan to pack my bag in the morning and wave to my house on the way by and go to the Y after work at least 4 out of 5 work days.

I'm taking a trip home to BC at xmas so that will give me incentive to work out and look great before my trip. Plus the trip will break up the winter into two parts and maybe I will set new goals and new challenges for January-on. The "Post-trip" winter months.
  • pcyoung
    pcyoung Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My plan is to walk at least 2 miles a day, except on the very worst of cold/snowy/icy days, which are rare. Cold is no reason not to be active.
  • archangel9902
    archangel9902 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    my plan is to work out at home to youtube videos which we stream to our big t.v. in the living room. I have enlisted my husband to help give me a gentle nudge if he sees me slacking. It shouldn't be too hard where I live to continue walking/jogging during the winter (live way down south) the summer time is more of a problem for me. You step outside and all the heat and humidity hit you and just sucks the motivation right out of ya!
  • vicslick59
    vicslick59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    san diego winters rock! can get outside yearlong without any problem, would like to surf on christmas day like before...
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with what to do in the winter, do I get a gym membership for a few months or try working out in the living room and do shorter walks with the dogs for the cardio? I want to keep up the running that I have been doing, but with previous injuries I am really scared of slipping on the ice and falling.....any ideas?
  • Butler018
    Butler018 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can buy slip on tractions for your runners. I think even Avon sells them! They work really great. I actually prefer running in the winter (as cold as it gets here!). Some people don't like the cold dry air, but I prefer it to the hot, humid summer air. Minus 30c is better than plus 30c for running... imo of course!

I do know how you feel about being scared of falling. I had a 3rd degree sprain on my ankle two years ago and I still watch myself when I step off a curb! Fear of falling is a natural thing! But coming from someone who runs in the winter through LOTS of ice and snow, it's not as bad as you anticipate it to be!

Good luck!