RCIA?

Options
penrbrown
penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
How many of you have been through RCIA or ARE going through RCIA now? What was your experience like?

Mine was painful in a lot of ways. I'd go into detail but whenever I talk about it I get really irritated and then I feel guilty because I know they did what they felt was best. :{

Replies

• perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear your story. My husband teaches RCIA, but I've never been through it as a participant.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Sure!

Let's see. I was a convert from Protestantism. My cousin was a convert from Mormonism and the others in our class were converts from varying Christian denominations. We had to wait nearly six months before classes started so I studied independently prior to attending (something which was discouraged by our Director. She said I would be 'ahead' of everyone else).

Our first three-four classes were all about journalling! And introductions. That's three/four hours spent just talking about how to write in a journal... it was BRUTAL. After the fourth meeting I told the Director straight up that I wouldn't be journalling. I don't journal. I make comics. I don't journal. The next week she finally dropped the subject.

We then moved onto who Jesus is and who the Apostles were. Our table was nearly dead silent when it came to 'question time'. What questions could we possibly have? We were all Christians and/or raised in Christian homes. There wasn't any new or shocking information in this segment.

The next meeting after that one of the instructors started asking simple pointed questions like: "How can Jesus be both God and man?" None of the candidates were even REMOTELY interested in this topic but we would end up spending HOURS diving into the most SIMPLEST points of Christianity (that one being an example). It was brutal but I didn't know if the others at the table knew these things so I held my tongue and toughed it out.

Then they started in on the personal digging. How do you FEEL? How can you use this passage in your life? What does THIS make you feel? We would state our opinions and even if the opinion was not in line with Catholic teaching NO ONE was challenged or corrected. EVER. The CLOSEST the Director ever got to 'correcting' someone was to say; "Well, that's not my personal opinion."

Throughout all of this my cousin refused to speak. She just doesn't like speaking in groups. Until one night they started babbling about how all suffering is good and once it's over we'll look back and say: OH WASN'T THAT WONDERFUL! To which she snapped. She was sexually molested as a child and she informed them that she would NEVER see it as a good thing. That pretty much inspired the most awkward pause ever. Poor thing was so distraught after class that she didn't want to go back.

She DID go back. And we were subjected to week after week of Bible gazing. "Look at this verse. Read it. Read it again. Tell us how it makes you feel. Wonderful. Right, see you next week." Except the 'how does it make you feel' part would go on for two hours. Two very painful hours.

FINALLY we hit the sacraments. They explained that if we don't know something is a sin we're not sinning. If you don't know it's a mortal sin when you do it, you haven't sinned at all!

They skimmed over Baptism, marriage, holy orders, the eucharist and anointing of the sick as quickly as they could and went right back to Bible gazing.

We never once discussed morality from a Catholic viewpoint. What we learned about the sacraments was so superficial that my cousin left RCIA not knowing that she couldn't receive the Eucharist if she had committed a mortal sin (but she also left believing that as long as she doesn't know it's a mortal sin she's not committing any sin at all - so she's opted never to read an Examination of Conscience. She figures if she starts reading about sins this whole Catholic thing will get 'too hard' for her) and really not knowing anything about the sacraments except that she can name what they are.

Because I did all my research on my own, despite RCIA, I felt ready to join the Church when Easter rolled around. They did NOT tell me I had to go to Confession. I approached the priest myself to arrange for that a week before I was received because I had read that it was required (as I was baptized prior to converting). If I had not studied on my own I would not have been prepared to join the Church because all I learned is that Catholic's really have no idea how to do a bible study ;) .

After we were accepted into the Church we had two more classes where we engaged in more Bible gazing (usually we would discuss that week's coming Scripture reading).

Oh! And I forgot the best part. Every week she would make us read a poem or listen to a song and then we had to go through it LINE BY LINE and share how every single line made us feel. That part made me hate Dan Schutte (do believe that's his name).

I know we were a tough class in a way because no one ever wanted to ask questions but the few times I DID speak up I was dismissed and told: "That's too theological." and then the subject would be changed.

PHEW! RANTY! But that was my RCIA experience. All in all highly disappointing in many ways BUT on the plus side I made lovely Catholic friends who check in on me even now. :D

PS: I FORGOT THE ABSOLUTE BEST PART! We were encouraged NOT to read the Catechism because it was 'too complicated'. >.<
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    That sounds like a horrible class!!!! Not at all how my husband teaches it. In fact, it's a requirement to own and read the Catechism for the class. They use that book quite a bit. Too often parishes are lacking the right people to teach these courses. It's really a shame!
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I was an RCIA sponsor about 20 years ago, and the RCIA program was "light weight" in my opinion, but nothing even CLOSE to how bad your sessions were. Skip forward 20 years: January, 2012. What a weekend that was: my college-age daughter went with Catholic Campus Ministries to the March for Life in D.C. for the first time ever and that same weekend my husband of 27 years decided to join RCIA! Was I ever on Cloud Nine!!! He didn't hit it off with the program to begin with -- there was a lot of Catholic terminology that he didn't understand, so he was getting very frustrated. He asked if I could be his sponsor and, with me explaining the Catholic "speak," it all started clearing up. And, it is a wonderful program in our Parish. He is in his 10th month of preparation. Since he has already been baptized, he doesn't have to wait for Easter, so we are trying to figure out a date that will work this Fall, when our daughter and the rest of the family can be there. The program at our last parish was "light weight" but good. Our current parish has a REALLY good RCIA program; it is orthodox and in depth. My husband wants to continue with the sessions for a full year, even though he will be received into full Communion before then. So, it sounds to me like you got the short stick, but thank heavens you had studied on your own. When God calls, and you are open to the Holy Spirit, even a very poor DRE can't get in God's way. Eventually, your relative will be open to continuing her journey, and at the very moment she is open to the Holy Spirit, He will overflow into her heart and she will move forward in her faith journey. Plant seeds, if God chooses to use them, He will make them bloom. If not, He has another plan to bring her the rest of the way.
  • Self_Control_Freak
    Options
    We're interspersing Fr. Robert Barron's "Catholicism" series with some instruction on various points that he doesn't have time to get to. We aim at orthodoxy and a broad overview, and we know that we might miss some of the finer points. After all, being Catholic really is a lifetime project and your not "finished" at Confirmation. I'm hoping it works out.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I completed RCIA and certainly didn't get a PHD in philosophy. Its designed for people with no faith background. In the end you have become Catholic and God loves you. Just look at is as a period of suffering. I think I still value communion more than cradle catholics because I had to wait so long to get it.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    We enjoyed the "Catholicism" series, but not sure how you can have a successful RCIA program without the Catechism.
  • Self_Control_Freak
    Options
    We're not leaving out the Catechism. We're just using Fr. Barron's series to frame the topics of the class, since the scope of the series is so vast. But you're right, the Catechism is truly essential.
  • Self_Control_Freak
    Options
    Also, before I arrived a year ago, the parish didn't really engage in the RCIA. This is my 2nd year here, I'm new to being a pastor, and we're building a program from scratch. Since I'm not a convert, I haven't gone through it from that end either. We'll see what works and what doesn't. We're a really small place, and we don't have adequate classroom space and the whole thing is such a challenge. But the 5 who showed up last Sunday for our first session seemed like a great group. I'm excited.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    I'm a fan of Father Barron! I've been to Rome a couple of times, Assisi once, and loved seeing all the places I visited in his series.
  • Self_Control_Freak
    Options
    How many of you have been through RCIA or ARE going through RCIA now? What was your experience like?

Mine was painful in a lot of ways. I'd go into detail but whenever I talk about it I get really irritated and then I feel guilty because I know they did what they felt was best. :{

I'm sorry your experience was so poor. I recommend making friends with G. K. Chesterton or St. Therese of Lisieux.

And since your parish is a little light on how to do Bible study, maybe you could lead one? I'll bet it would be awesome. Catholics love to learn about the Bible from former Protestants!
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Some of the younger folk in our parish started a 'young adult group' for ages 18-35. We just started Father Barron's series! :D

And I look back at my RCIA experience with bemusement. It was a really weird experience. The good part was learning patience, and meeting people who I still have a relationship with. So that was nice. :)

I have thought about helping out with a Bible Study or some such but when I brought it up I was pushed aside so now I just do what I can where I'm allowed to. I'm okay with that. :D
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to do some Bible study on your own, you could look at Scott Hahn's free scripture study on his website, Savation History. I think another great way to study the Bible is to just follow the lectionary, if you can dedicate some time each day Start with Year A and work your way through day-by-day. You get the Old Testament reading that gives you God's promise and the New Testament reading that shows how the promise was fulfilled.
  • Self_Control_Freak
    Options
    I would not presume to do an end run around your pastor, since I myself am a pastor, but there is no reason why a small group of people couldn't get together and start their own Bible study. If you have friends, you could make it happen.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I would not presume to do an end run around your pastor, since I myself am a pastor, but there is no reason why a small group of people couldn't get together and start their own Bible study. If you have friends, you could make it happen.

:) I'm all right. I'm perfectly happy with self study.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    I'll send you some names of good books!
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Nicole, maybe you can start a small group to go over Catholic Christianity by Peter Kreeft. Have you read that one yet?
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Nicole, maybe you can start a small group to go over Catholic Christianity by Peter Kreeft. Have you read that one yet?

We do have a group going! They're doing Father Barron's series. I'll suggest Catholic Christianity when we're done that. :)

As for me I'm working my way through some Scott Hahn books (Understanding the Scripture), The History of the Church (from the Didache series), and I'm STILL working on the Catechism (two years! And I'm not done! Haha).

And you know what my 'light' reading consists of. :D Aristotle and Confucius. I think I'm pretty good but I ALWAYS love more book recommendations. I'll add them to my list for when I'm done the others.