Polar heart rate monitor

Options
Hi I was just wondering how many people use heart rate watches reason being there can be a big difference in the calories you are burning and the calories MFP says you have I know you can change it but just wondered if people were changing it.

Replies

• kerryjudson
    kerryjudson Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i always go with the heart rate monitor reading, ive noticed on the equipment i use down the gym (DW) that the readings are more or less the same and mfp estimates are not that far out for me.
    the times to watch out for are over estimating eg. logging walking at 4mph when actually i was more likely doing 2 or 3mph.
    if you've got a heart rate monitor then log that reading
  • asayer
    Options
    Any recommendations for cheap but decent ones? not sure which one to buy!!
  • amohamy
    Options
    Any recommendations for cheap but decent ones? not sure which one to buy!!

I'm also looking for a HRM, and need a cheap-ish one but don't wanna sacrifice quality and end up with an equally innacurate reading!
  • katiepatati
    katiepatati Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This one is mine and I love it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polar-WomensFT4-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B005O9JJVI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339099328&sr=8-3

I find MFP overestimate my kcals burns so much so it is easy to eat more than what you should if you havent got a HRM.
  • alfie1313
    alfie1313 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I second the polar FT4 :-))) I love it :-))) I did try the Lloyds chemist one first but it kept missing my heart rate so it wasnt picking up the entire workout which was frustrating, not sure whether it was just mine that was faulty or whether they are all like that... but i took it back and then got my FT4 when i could afford it :-)))

Hope that helps x
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    I second the polar FT4 :-))) I love it :-))) I did try the Lloyds chemist one first but it kept missing my heart rate so it wasnt picking up the entire workout which was frustrating, not sure whether it was just mine that was faulty or whether they are all like that... but i took it back and then got my FT4 when i could afford it :-)))

Hope that helps x

mine has just started doing this, lasted about 3 months, for a £12.99 bit of kit its lasted well.

i have a bluetooth polar H7 en route to log using my smart phone, should be interesting.. i find that i spend too long in the anerobic zone these capture a full data log and can be viewed grapically..
  • Snazmeister
    Snazmeister Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me - I cycle more than run. I use the Polar CS600x with cadence, speed and GPS as well as the HRM. I do however use Runkeeper on the iPhone in tandem with the Polar. The latter always says I travel a greater distance and at a greater speed then the Polar, which I find perplexing.

Either way, I log on MFP with what the Polar says for kcal rather than Runkeeper and of course edit the MFP suggested values.

That is my thoughts on this anyhow... :)
  • LadySylvanas
    LadySylvanas Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been using Polar FT4 - with no problems at all, absolutely loving it x