1x a week programming?

Options
So, I'm trying to get my girlfriend into weight training, and she's willing to train with me in my garage gym, but she hates gyms and won't go to one on her own or with anyone. So the problem is finding the time. She goes to school full time, works two part-time jobs, and has an internship she goes to twice a week. She usually has 1-2 nights off per week.

I'm wondering if there's a way to program 1x a week lifting. I know I've read from some credible people that 2x a week can work, but I'm guessing this may be a bit of a stretch. Can a Squat/Press/Pull 1x a week be enough frequency to slowly increase strength?

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. It's actually similar to Max OT training. (however I believe this works better for trained individuals). But something is better than nothing.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    I was thinking something along the lines of the Starting Strength or Practical Programming set up.

Workout A:
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Workout B:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    BB Row 3x5 or Chinups (band-assisted) 3xfailure

Sound good?
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Maybe take the 5/3/1 2 day programming and split it into one each week. Something like you mentioned should be fine too. Could always throw in some body weight stuff like pushups on off whenever there are a few extra minutes.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    assuming she has some sort of other cardio activity sometime during the week.

I'd simple do the following routine every workout.
    squat 3x10
    SOHP 3x8
    row 3x8
    bench 3x8
    SLDL 3x8 (or conventional DL seeing as it's only once a week)
    bb curl or chin up 3x8 (or working towards chins)

Same rules as SS. Add weight every workout, deload 10% if fail to progress 3x in a row.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Why 8-10 reps? Call me a Rippetoe cultist, but I always thought 5's were the happy medium of strength and muscular hypertrophy.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I agree with Chris, something is always better than nothing. However if you are going to be lifting only once a week, I don't think you can consider anything other than a whole body routine.

As for the amount of reps, generally <5 for pure strength training (focuses more on neuro-muscular adaptation) and it is generally accepted that 8-12 is best for size gain (muscle hypertrophy).

Something around 8 reps as Chris is suggesting is a good middle ground. He puts in higher reps for squats as he has an unhealthy relationship with them :laugh: .
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    haha true.

TBH the rep range for a total beginner is not even that important. What is important is adding either weight or reps per workout. That is the PTC beginner program and basically if you add weight each workout you aren't going to go too long until you won't the 8 reps anyway. Typically people will make their 8x3 for a while and then start to go 8,6,5 for example.

And the issue with only doing 5 reps is that, being that it is more about total strength, beginners are quite often simply not used to anything "heavy". (especially women if they are in the commonly accepted high reps for toning group :laugh:)
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    I'll probably stick with 5's, but I think we have the same principles for how it should work. Progressively adding weight to the bar.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    yep, that's how to progress for sure.
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    So, I'm trying to get my girlfriend into weight training, and she's willing to train with me in my garage gym, but she hates gyms and won't go to one on her own or with anyone. So the problem is finding the time. She goes to school full time, works two part-time jobs, and has an internship she goes to twice a week. She usually has 1-2 nights off per week.

I'm wondering if there's a way to program 1x a week lifting. I know I've read from some credible people that 2x a week can work, but I'm guessing this may be a bit of a stretch. Can a Squat/Press/Pull 1x a week be enough frequency to slowly increase strength?

I think getting started and keeping reguler routine is the key - even if once every other week! Once in a routine, can then start defining it

My wife is the same, not much time spare due to work and other activities - once it becomes part of their daily routine, can alter course along the way, but starting and keeping it reguler was the key
  • p_hanks
    p_hanks Posts: 10
    Options
    Here's an article with some science supporting working out once a week.

"Less Is Less"

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/strength-training-frequency.php
  • p_hanks
    p_hanks Posts: 10
    Options
    The article title is "Less Is _Not_ Less" :wink: Sorry.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    assuming she has some sort of other cardio activity sometime during the week.

I'd simple do the following routine every workout.
    squat 3x10
    SOHP 3x8
    row 3x8
    bench 3x8
    SLDL 3x8 (or conventional DL seeing as it's only once a week)
    bb curl or chin up 3x8 (or working towards chins)

Same rules as SS. Add weight every workout, deload 10% if fail to progress 3x in a row.

I'd have her do body weight workouts 2 days after that. Push ups, body weight squats, lunges, pull ups etc...