I tri'd again!

Options
sonyachan
sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
Did my second tri (which was supposed to be my first, but then that other one happened) yesterday. I met my goal of NOT coming in last! there were about 50 racers and 3 behind me, so I'm definitely moving up! ;) My 1/2 mile ocean swim went well, I'm just slow as molasses still. Got out of the water with another racer and there was one still in the water, so that was my first realization that I would not have to be last! Passed 2 people on the bike...Woohoo! Did my 5k in 30 minutes, about as fast as I've ever done it. It was really fun this time! I had friends and family there cheering me on and taking unflattering pictures of me. I almost ran over an alligator....No kidding! I had seen the big guy the day I went down to ride the bike course, the day I went to pick up my packet, and as I drove in on race morning. I was looking for him as I rode over the causeway over the marsh where he lives, when all of a sudden I looked in front of me and there he was crossing the road! I about soiled myself and swerved to pass behind him! Whew, talk about adrenaline! I was going to leave before awards were given out since I had to get to my son's football game, but some new friends I made said I should stay, that maybe I actually placed. And dang if I didn't! I was the only woman in my age group and got a trophy! Hey, I'll take it! I'm very happy with how far I've come, and I deserved that trophy! :) Can't wait till next year! Total time was 1:50 for 1/2 mile swim, 14 mile bike, 5k run. Time last time was 1:45 for 500 yard swim, 13 mile bike and 5k. Good enough!

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! That's a pretty good time for your first and second tri. You should be proud of yourself. Sounds like you've caught the tri bug :)
    That alligator would have seriously freaked me out!!!!!!!
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Congrat's !!!!- that's Fantastic!!!!
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Sounds like you had a great race. I certainly think that you are only one of a few triathletes in the world who can make the "I almost hit an alligator" claim, so you are already in a class of your own. Great work.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Awesome, did the aligator make you pedal faster ... I doing a tri in FL next week ... hope I dont see any aligators
  • csm1021
    csm1021 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your second Tri!

Love reading race reports, this has to be the first with seeing an alligator while on the race route!
  • TriClaudia
    TriClaudia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should get some kind of award just for having an alligator on the course! And that's so cool about the award!
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and wonderful race report!!! I would have totally freaked out about the alligator. Sheesh!!!!!
  • dewell2
    dewell2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So awesome! Congratulations! I cannot imagine swimming in the ocean. I struggle enough just swimming in a lake.
  • sonyachan
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • alaliberte
    Options
    I am sooooo surprised that you were the only one in your age group...where did you race? Are you racing with elite athletes or something? Because with those times where I live and race, you would be no where near the rear of the pack...at all.

Congrats on your successes!
  • sonyachan
    Options
    I am sooooo surprised that you were the only one in your age group...where did you race? Are you racing with elite athletes or something? Because with those times where I live and race, you would be no where near the rear of the pack...at all.

Congrats on your successes!

Yes, both races have been with serious triathletes, especially the first one. Not a lot of interest in Myrtle Beach for some reason. There were some newbies on this race, so I didn't have to be last. I'd like to do a big tri with lots of other newbies. I'd feel a lot better about myself. :)