Hubby was diagnosed yesterday with Hypertension - HELP!

Options
My husband (MFP - Pepetheworldcat) was diagnosed yesterday with hypertension - HELP! The new awareness has made me realize how much sodium is in EVERYTHING!!!!! the doctor just said he needed to be on a low sodium diet - how much is considered "low"? What is the deal with potassium? Could he take a potassium supplement? I need a lot of information so FEEL FREE to just share with my anything and everything you can think of! Thanks!!!

Replies

• zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try to get sodium at 1500mg. Mostly that means avoiding fast foods since they are loaded with sodium. I also find most processed foods are too.. Like soups and frozen dinners although there are some that claim to be low sodium. The best for me is to do my own cooking and don't add salt Or only a minimum. I'm told fruits and veggies have potassium which is one of the reasons I think that they are recOmmened for highBP.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Potassium helps keep sodium in check and can help lower blood pressure. It's been terrific in lowering mine (was 109/76 this morning down from 145/95 a year ago) It's strongly recommended to get potassium from food rather than supplements (you can get too much potassium) and I would only take K supplements if doctor recommended. Fortunately, potassium is abundant in a wide variety of yummy foods. Check out: http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/.

Good luck!
  • ChrissieNer
    ChrissieNer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypertension just over 2 weeks ago too (163/96) and put on HCT (Hydrochlorothiazide). Even though it runs in my family on my mother's side, it still came as a shock. I came to this forum and listened to the wonderful advice of "themedalist" regarding sodium to potassium ratios in one's diet, and also did a little online reading about it and found lists of potassium rich foods.

At the advice of my mother (an RN for 42yrs who is very fit, but also suffers from high BP) I try to keep my daily sodium intake under 1000mg - between 850-950mg. Some days are harder than others, but even when I go over - I'm still under 1400mg! By taking the medicine, increasing my potassium intake through foods and restricting my sodium intake, I got my BP back down to normal in 10 days. This morning my BP was 111/80 - I take my pressure every morning with an Omron 7 series BP monitor from Walgreens. You and your husband can friend me if you'd like to see my food diary. Best of luck to your husband!
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I agree, no fast foods, no added salt. If you take a diuretic like HCTZ you need to eat foods high in potassium as you loose it when you loose water from the pill. Potassium is important to help keep your heart going. Try and spend time relaxing and lower stress, have more fun! Some people find yoga helpful, I personally can not sit for that long.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm on an ACE inhibitor (trandolapril).
    I set my sodium on this site to 1500 mg./day.
    Because ACE inhibitors can make you retain potassium (K) in your blood there is a chance of hyperkalemia (high K values in blood)
    which is very serious. For that reason one on ACE inhibitors and potassium sparing diuretics should keep an eye on their K levels, and not take K supplements or use "No-Salt" or K-based salt substitutes (KCl) .
    The US govt. sets K daily intake levels to 4700 mg.
    I read a post from a doctor that those on ACE inhibitors should limit their intake to this number (4700 mg.)
    This site sets them by default at 3500 mg. which is where I set mine.
    I have also read here that a 2:1 ratio of K to Na is a good balance. Still reading up on that.
    That said, there are many common foods that have high K levels, but it is failrly easy to stay near or below that level daily.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    Here is a link to the DASH Diet. Almost everything you need to know about sodium/potassium and high bp is in here.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

Don't view it as a diet... it is a way of life. It is how everyone should eat, even those without high bp.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link.

BTW, my initial BP reading was 180/115 !! (I was almost 200 lbs. @ 5'-7" and devoured salty foods)
    It has been consistently at or below 120/80 for 2 months now. (currently 173 lbs.)
    It took about a month of meds and reduced sodium and weight loss to get there.
    Oh, I basically quit drinking alcohol as well. I liked a lot of beer and some booze/wine/mead.
    I do 2 miles minimum on the treadmill walking at 5 deg. incline and 3 mph every night.
    I'll soon weigh less than I did in high school. My target is 162 lbs.