MN Hike - Lets Do This - Oct 6/7

Options
Hey everyone -

Its time to get together and hike a part of our gorgeous state! Its fall and my fav time of the year here and a few of us thought a hike and MFP meet-up would be a great way to enjoy this time of year -

so we will see who all can and which day/time of day works best (Im thinking early pm to avoid morning chill - but please share your preference!) and from where everyone is coming (How far are you willing to drive?

We will pick the most popular day and time and a central location to the peeps that want to come - if you have any suggestions/places you like to hike want to hike etc etc - Post here or PM me and we will get something going!

Rhondalynn3

Replies

• morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Does anyone live around the Coon Rapids Dam? It is a nice place to walk. Taylors Falls too, but I was just there.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!!! I can do either day (I really need to get a life). Early afternoon would be great, since I like to sleep late on the weekends. :smile: I live in Minneapolis and would be willing to drive an hour outside of the metro.

The only place I have ever been hiking in Minnesota is Afton State Park. I went there this past summer and it was nice, though I didn't find it very challenging. I want to feel my legs burning!!!

I did some research on trails earlier this summer and thought Frotenac State Park's Bluffside Trail, Barn Bluff in Hastings, Hay Creek in Red Wing, and Murphy-Hanrehan Park Reserve in Savage all sounded like they could be good ones. I'm down for whateva though.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    awesome! I agree with early afternoon! all of those look awesome
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Avoid morning chill? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ......wimp. You would think you would be used to it by now:huh:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Oh, that would be SO fun........but I'm going to a retreat in the MacGregor area that weekend. Wahhhhhhhhhhh...............

(and I like morning chillll!)

I'll hike around the campground in your honor :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • OkieinMinny
    Options
    Avoid morning chill? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ......wimp. You would think you would be used to it by now:huh:

^^^ I will NEVER get used to that!!
  • StarryOne
    StarryOne Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Those days aren't good for me, but I did the Surly Loppet trail run in Theodore Wirth Park today and there were some great trails there. Frontenac has the most challenging hiking I have done in a MN Park. Beautiful scenery too.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hiking, I'm not sure I have the right gear for it (I wasn't much of a walker before I started trying to lose weight) but as long as it's somewhere a good pair of sneakers and a jacket would be good for, I'm game. =)
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of fun but that weekend doesn't work for me at all. :sad:
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to join in, but thought I'd add some info.

Barn Bluff is actually located in Red Wing and is challenging because it's all uphill! Frontenac is also very challenging if you take the stairs down the hill next to Lake Pepin; it's beautiful, though.

If you're looking for other options, I'd recommend Wild River State Park (between North Branch and Taylors Falls) because one side of the park is very easy hiking and the other is very difficult hiking; something for everyone. If you're looking to go a little more west of the cities, Lake Maria is a good option; I've heard the trails are nice. To head to the southern Twin Cities, Schaar's Bluff in Hastings is nice because there are easy and more difficult options and it's a free park. All of the State Parks require a $5/day/car permit, unless you have the $25/yr annual pass.

I've been to all of the State Parks in the southern half of the state, so feel free to send messages if you'd like more information. Otherwise, the DNR has good info at www.dnr.state.mn.us/

Lastly, the DNR Facebook page is posting updated fall colors information every Thursday, in case you want to make sure you're getting an eyeful of some beautiful colors!

Whichever location you decide on, have fun! Hopefully I'll be able to join in sometime in the future (perhaps a winter snowshoeing outing?).
  • OkieinMinny
    Options
    Looks like so far that weekend only works for a few of us (3 is what I have so far - Me, Melissa and Tim) BUT that others want to join in and so what if we throw a couple more dates out:

Oct 20/21 or Oct 27/28??
  • eduardo_d
    eduardo_d Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump for my Pals!

October is in flux for me right now, so not sure which weekend(s) I'm open. That said, I will make every attempt to join you guys whenever something is decided!
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So far the 6th is out for me, but I am open for the 7th!
  • sarahthecamper
    sarahthecamper Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Richard T Anderson Conservation Area is a great hike right in the cities and not so well known. It's just past (1/6 mile) the Lion's Tap on Hwy 212 in Eden Prairie. Nice trails through the woods, pretty hilly, up to a scenic overlook that gives a great view of the river valley below (Shakopee, Valleyfair, etc.). It's a nice option that doesn't require an entire day for those of us in town.
  • babytis
    babytis Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This sounds like so much fun!!! I've never gone hiking, can you believe it? I am currently planning a cycling trip that same weekend with one of my MFP friends. We are riding Cannon Falls to Red Wing on the 6th, so I don't know if I could swing it, but I would sure try!! Is this the first time you've had a group activity?
    :heart: Jenny
  • babytis
    babytis Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    20/21 work for me and the 28th as long as I know in advance so I can take off work. What an awesome idea! :)
    Looks like so far that weekend only works for a few of us (3 is what I have so far - Me, Melissa and Tim) BUT that others want to join in and so what if we throw a couple more dates out:

Oct 20/21 or Oct 27/28??
  • klowinger
    klowinger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a lot of fun. My October is just settling down from a crazy September, but I will try to join whenever it is decided on.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Right now I'm thinking the 20/21 would work for me. Especially if it was mid morning to mid afternoon.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I could do the 21st....it would be a great relief from celebrating my son's birthday the day prior. I would just have to be home by 5 to bring the other one to Football practice...otherwise, I may be able to swing the 7th.
  • aj_31
    Options
    I'll be hungover on the 7th so I'm out that day. :drinker: