weightloss challenges for type 1 Diabetics?

Options
Hi everyone.
I was diagnosed 34 years ago. I am a 37 year old woman trying to lose 20 lbs. I have to admit that once I got on Lantus and Novolog as my fast acting insulin, all I have been doing is carb counting and not really paying attention to ratios or a diet plan of any kind.

Now that I am watching what I eat, adding lots of protein and snacks in between meals, my blood sugar are excellent, but I do need to lose weight.

What have your successes been with trying to lose weight?

Replies

• stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi! Well, ummmm.....so far I haven't had much luck losing weight, BUT I'm not sure I can blame it on my T1. I'm on a pump, which gives me a lot more flexibility with what/when/how much I eat, but I'm a foodie and am having a really hard time adjusting my food intake down. So my revised goal is to stop trying so hard to lose weight, and instead to focus on being as healthy as possible and making better choices about food. For me it's about moderation and being realistic about my body type and shape. Easier said than done, but I don't want to live my life beating myself up because I'm not perfect. :)
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hey! I was diagnosed 43 years ago when I was 11. I pump Novolog. I've had pretty good success as I've lost 15 lbs in 13 weeks. Most of this 15 lbs was put on with sloppy control due to stress, overeating, etc. When I tightened my control, I quit using nearly as much insulin and the weight came of systematically. Now I sit at the top end of my 'healthy' BMI, but would still like to loose another 13 lbs. I've been plateued for the last couple of weeks.

Up to this point I've been active but not had a formal exercise program. Think I'm going to have to implement one to get the rest of the weight off. I'm strongly considering the C25K program as there's nothing like running to burn calories.

HTH and good luck to you!
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been diabetic 12 years and so far I've lost 6lbs. With my blood sugars, I was going low alot in the beginning but I now make sure to check my blood sugar well before I workout to know if I need to make an adjustment before going to the gym. I also do the elliptical for an hour with my heart rate between 60-80% of my max. It's not really a hard workout so it doesn't make my blood sugar drop.
  • hotlilteacher
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad we're here to swap notes!
  • FurryLittleBunny
    FurryLittleBunny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! Friend me and share what you learn. :)
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would like to share something with you :) Please visit http://www.rippedusa.com/diet-stabilize-start.html and it also explains it. Also note - I printed this off and asked my dr if there was anything truth to it and i was told there was. When your Blood sugar goes above 120 and below 80- your body goes into "fat storing mode" When your blood sugar is inbetween 80 and 120 its in Fat burning mode. So the better control you have over your blood sugars, the easier it will be to lose weight! As a type 1- I know I've struggeled with blood sugars alot in the past. It is not always easy, but I too have been noticing WAY better control of my blood sugars since I joined MFP. Be patient though. I joined a lil over a month ago. So far I've lost 8 lbs, which is a 2 lbs week average abouts ( I weigh in Thursday mornings) but I didnt lose it like that. Week 1- nothing, same with week 2. Week 3 I only lost a half a pound. I was starting to get really discouraged-- almost stopped coming on here, but figured it was helping my blood sugars so I kept at it, as it wasn't a total waste. Week 4 ( last week) I lost 7.5 lbs! That was just crazy to me! But everyone's bodies work differently. Whatever your individual goals are- I think we'll all get there. Having T1 just makes it a slower process for most. :)
  • mamamadusa
    mamamadusa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been T1 for 10 years on Novalog and Levemir shots...I didn't like the pump. Exercise definitely helps to lose the weight and lowers blood sugar...but sometimes too much which ends up with me having to eat to bring it back up. Then I feel as though it is defeating the purpose!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Type 1 here for about 22 years (MDI - Novolog and Levemir).

I've been successful with weight loss but it has taken what seems like eons - almost 40 pounds over the course of a couple years. It's easy to blame on diabetes/insulin resistance/whatever since I feel like it's mathematically *wrong* that I hadn't lost weight at a more rapid pace, but in the end, I'll never really know.

What I do know is that logging my food and *regular* exercise has helped me all around - I'm taking less insulin these days and have slowly (but surely) lost weight..
  • jjuullzz
    jjuullzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    32 now, diagnosed at 17...Type 1. (Currently taking Humalog and Lantus.)

At first, I gained about 20 pounds. Just didn't care much, and loaded up on insulin to eat whatever I wanted. A few years ago, I really started feeling bad about myself, and tried to diet. A long, hard road and weight loss was slooooow. I was finding it hard to stay on track.

But joining MFP has really help put things in perspective. It was shocking for me to see exactly how much I was consuming! I started logging EVERYTHING. From my Diet Pepsi, to a squirt of ketchup. I joined a gym, and forced myself to go. After a couple weeks, I felt bad if I DIDN'T go! Even if the scale doesn't change much, I changed. I feel better...I feel different!

And people are right...try not to focus so much on the scale itself. It should be about your blood sugar levels, your energy levels, and how you feel about yourself overall!

Good luck!!!
  • shep1397
    Options
    @Canderson5805,

You are absolutely right about the stabilizing of blood sugars for weight loss. I was an athlete in college, and the only way I could perform well and feel at my best was when my blood sugars were normal for 4-5 hours before every workout. It is so important to keep blood sugars stable during the workout. If you workout longer than 45 minutes, you will need some source of fuel--Sir Steven Redgrave is an Olympic rower and his website http://www.steveredgrave.com/diabetes.html recommend eating some source of protein/carbs every 45 minutes during intense workouts. As an athlete, I was constantly fueling myself, eating every 2-3 hours.

If your blood sugar is very high and you can't seem to get it down, go for a brisk walk or bike ride. It will keep you from feeling so drowsy with the high blood sugar, and it gets it back down quickly.
  • cardigan__
    Options
    I have lost around 10 kgs (22 pounds). It took me probably a bit over a year. I used to eat really bad and never exercise - my sugar levels were pretty terrible. They are still not great. But I have found smaller portions of carbs and even just exercising 3 times a week has really helped both my diabetes and weight loss. It can be frustrating not seeing results straight away, but I think focusing on being healthy is more important and you will see the results eventually.
  • kithalloyd
    kithalloyd Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time seems like I only loss when I was not on my best behavior. Insulin is a helps our body keep fat thus we will not lose weight like everyone else. Often my friends lose 20lbs and Im still stuck at 5 lol. yet I learned that with exercise it does help. I have been doing zumba now for about 1-5 months and have lost 40 lbs. my weight goes up and down by 4-5 sometimes but when I see this I just get a tighter grip. increase your water and add exercise. Be patient cause it wont fly off sometimes I lose nothing then I look and 4 lbs is gone. You can add me as a friend if you like we can make this journey togeher. Oh I have been a diabetic type 1 for 20 yrs and counting lol