Midwives and birth plans

Options
VelociMama
VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
Hi ladies,

I would like to know if you have a birth plan set yet. My husband and I have been talking about how we want things to go, and trying to make some decisions about where we want to be and what we want to do.

Also, I'm leaning towards going for a natural birth. I like the idea of being able to move around and not confined to a bed for the whole labor and delivery if possible. However, I'd like to do this in a hospital if possible or birthing center so that if I or the baby need emergency medical attention, we can get it immediately. I'm giving some serious thought to using a midwife as the person who would be doing most of the delivery with a doctor there to supervise in case of a serious complication.

Has anyone done this type of delivery before? Did you have a positive experience or a negative one?

Replies

• mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I haven't (I got an epi and stayed in bed the whole time with my first). But our hospital did offer that.

The hospital had big birthing suites with a huge soaker tub, medicine balls to sit on, an indoor track to make laps, a certified prenatal massage therapist on site, and 2 midwives that worked out of the hospital. It looked like a great option, but with my medical conditions going into labor I didn't want to take any chances.

Good luck!
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a midwife too, in a hospital setting. This is my first, so no prior experience. I haven't made a firm decision yet on whether I'd like to be medicated or not. So far, the only thing on my birth plan is: let the baby's cord stop pulsating before cutting it. I don't think I'll write anything out for the midwife, I'll just tell her.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Well, I posted on your profile a happy little novelette (sorry!), but long story short, I had a hospital birth with my awesome OB with an epidural. I didn't mind being confined to bed after the epidural because I felt AWESOME afterwards. People say you don't enjoy the birth experience if you get it, but I totally disagree. Birth was literally completely painless, and I was fully aware of everything around me and could focus on pushing appropriately because I wasn't in pain. If you want to go natural, good for you, though! To each his own, and no one is a martyr or a jerk for doing things one way or another. My labor was about 11 hours start to finish, but I had contraction after contraction without a break, so the epidural was the right thing for me at that time. Next time may be different, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I have a close relative who really looked down her nose at me because I had an epidural (while she was pregnant with her first), and she finally broke down and got it (after I told her there was no shame in it nor would she get a special trophy at the end if she didn't get it). She did awesome with it, and her labor progressed much more steadily after it (which is what happened with me). She confessed that she was sorry she hadn't been more open-minded about getting it earlier because she was in pretty bad pain for quite a while. It was the right decision for her at that time, and she says she will at least be willing to get it if need be on her next go-round.

Anyway, the best advice I got was just to be open-minded about everything. Things rarely go to plan, even with complication-free births, but remember that you need to be your own advocate. Your husband may be too stressed out to speak for you, so you have to be able to count on yourself to speak up if something makes you uncomfortable!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am going the OB/hospital route, and am not afraid to admit that I am 100% for an epidural because I don't like to be in a lot of pain. I am also the type of person that really needs adequate rest. If I don't get enough rest I get run down and sick quite easily, and I hope the epidural would allow me the opportunity to get a bit of sleep. I know I will be tired after the birth regardless of how things go, but I'd still like to try to be as rested as possible!

While I trust that the doctor will do what is right for the baby/myself, I want to avoid forceps and the vacuum. I know an adult who has permanent nerve damage to one whole side of his face because he was delivered using forceps, and while it is rare for that to happen, it freaks me out. But, if the doctor really feels these tools are needed, I trust her.

I know with birth you have to go with the flow and not everything will go as planned, but here are the things I am NOT flexible with (assuming healthy baby/vaginal delivery) - I want my baby passed to me right away when it is delivered, and I want to try to breastfeed ASAP. I also want myself and/or DH to be present during all of the baby's tests/exams, and the baby will stay in our room overnight. My doctor and I have discussed tearing and episiotomies a few times. I know a few women with tearing horror stories (ie. require follow up surgery), which my doctor has assured me are rare. She has also told me most women do tear and that it is better than being cut. However, if she sees a tear going towards the front of the body she always make a cut at the back end because front tears are near impossible to fix correctly (too many nerve endings). She has my full permission to do an episiotomy in that situation!

Anyway, I agree with RBX that it is good to be open-minded with the birth plan. I think I'm going in mostly open-minded and flexible, with a few non-flexible requests. :laugh:
  • RBXChas
    Options
    While I trust that the doctor will do what is right for the baby/myself, I want to avoid forceps and the vacuum. I know an adult who has permanent nerve damage to one whole side of his face because he was delivered using forceps, and while it is rare for that to happen, it freaks me out. But, if the doctor really feels these tools are needed, I trust her.

I know with birth you have to go with the flow and not everything will go as planned, but here are the things I am NOT flexible with (assuming healthy baby/vaginal delivery) - I want my baby passed to me right away when it is delivered, and I want to try to breastfeed ASAP. I also want myself and/or DH to be present during all of the baby's tests/exams, and the baby will stay in our room overnight. My doctor and I have discussed tearing and episiotomies a few times. I know a few women with tearing horror stories (ie. require follow up surgery), which my doctor has assured me are rare. She has also told me most women do tear and that it is better than being cut. However, if she sees a tear going towards the front of the body she always make a cut at the back end because front tears are near impossible to fix correctly (too many nerve endings). She has my full permission to do an episiotomy in that situation!

Definitely ask your doctor if she uses the forceps and/or vacuum. Supposedly they've both gone out of style, so to speak, according to my OB. You may find that she will really hesitate unless it's truly necessary.

But yes, DO insist upon spending time with your baby right away! I really think that messed us up for nursing, and I was preached to by so many people about not having him room in with me so that I could rest. In retrospect it was a horrible idea and made coming home a HUGE lifestyle shock, so I had a really, really rough time when we got there. So being in the mindset of rooming in but having the option to change your mind is definitely the way to go.

Oh, and I did tear a tiny bit. (I had one stitch, and my OB wasn't even sure it was necessary but did it to be safe.) She doesn't cut unless, like you said, it appears that a woman is about to tear upwards. My sister had an episiotomy by the same OB, and she healed fine. Her OB told her that it would likely have been much, much worse if she hadn't cut her. Some doctors do it as a rule, though, which I think is terrible. I mean, I had so little tearing that an episiotomy would have been much worse.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Most of the births here are midwife led, unless there are complications.

With birth plans, remember that it is a rough guide of what you would like to happen. Its not set in stone, so will change according to your circumstances. It gives the professionals some guidance with regards to your preferences regarding feeding, cutting the cord etc.

Keep an open mind about everything, especially pain relief. I think until you are in the throes of labour it is very difficult to know how you will cope with pain. So have pain relief as an option. I ended with zero pain relief as I was induced and the birth progressed very quickly and my daughter was back to back! ouch! the only pain relief i had was my own tens machine which was my saviour. Did i want an epidural? heck yeah! but i was in active labour for 3hrs so not enough time for anything really. I learnt that day how high my pain threshold was!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was sure I wanted to do an unmedicated birth with midwives. Then, a few weeks ago, I changed my mind. I hate being in pain, and I don't know if I could endure the labor without an epidural.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I was sure I wanted to do an unmedicated birth with midwives. Then, a few weeks ago, I changed my mind. I hate being in pain, and I don't know if I could endure the labor without an epidural.

You never know; you may be able to do it without! Just keep an open mind.

I was told that if you said you didn't want it and then changed your mind, you'd have to wait longer to get it because it would not be set up for you :noway: That scared me into being very vocal about the fact that I was happy to have it if the pain got unbearable.

Just remember that you always make the call. No one can force it on you, but if you really want it, don't let anyone talk you out of it, either.
  • VelociMama
    Options

I'm not afraid of pain. I've dealt with a lot of physical pain before (dual kidney infections that went untreated for a week - never took any pain meds for it). Plus, I think with a good midwife as a coach, I can work through any discomfort.

My main concern is being immobile for hours and hours and hours on end. That would drive me insane.
  • RBXChas
    Options

I'm not afraid of pain. I've dealt with a lot of physical pain before (dual kidney infections that went untreated for a week - never took any pain meds for it). Plus, I think with a good midwife as a coach, I can work through any discomfort.

My main concern is being immobile for hours and hours and hours on end. That would drive me insane.

Eek, that sounds awful! I'm so sorry you went through that :frown: But yeah, if you did that and didn't have any pain meds, you might be in your element if you're moving around and being encouraged, especially knowing that it is truly temporary and that the outcome is so good!
  • keyalus
    keyalus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am planning a natural birth in the hospital. I'm sticking with my OB for now, but planning a switch to a midwife (w/OB backup) later in my pregnancy. I really want a VBAC so long as everything is OK and I'm not confident that my OB won't pull some sort of bait-and-switch on me later. I don't need that kind of stress in my life when I'm 36 weeks pregnant.

I plan to try to go natural again, but I'm open-minded about the epidural. I got it at 9cm last time after being stuck there for a while. It seemed like a C-Section was coming (it was) so I figured that there was no need for me to "suffer" any longer. I was managing fine without the epidural. I definitely felt better with it though - except for that darn uncomfortable catheter.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask your doctor if she uses the forceps and/or vacuum. Supposedly they've both gone out of style, so to speak, according to my OB. You may find that she will really hesitate unless it's truly necessary.

But yes, DO insist upon spending time with your baby right away! I really think that messed us up for nursing, and I was preached to by so many people about not having him room in with me so that I could rest. In retrospect it was a horrible idea and made coming home a HUGE lifestyle shock, so I had a really, really rough time when we got there. So being in the mindset of rooming in but having the option to change your mind is definitely the way to go.

Oh, and I did tear a tiny bit. (I had one stitch, and my OB wasn't even sure it was necessary but did it to be safe.) She doesn't cut unless, like you said, it appears that a woman is about to tear upwards. My sister had an episiotomy by the same OB, and she healed fine. Her OB told her that it would likely have been much, much worse if she hadn't cut her. Some doctors do it as a rule, though, which I think is terrible. I mean, I had so little tearing that an episiotomy would have been much worse.

I asked my doctor about the forceps and vacuum at my last appt, after hearing about a friend of a friend who's OB used forceps during a c-section (!!!) at the hospital where I'm delivering. My doctor said she doesn't use them unless absolutely necessary.

I don't know if all hospitals in Canada do it, but where I'm currently living (and where I'm from) your baby is kept in the room with you during the night. I doubt any nurses would come in in the middle of the night and take the baby, but just in case, I've included it in my birth plan.

I think episiotomies were the norm back int he 80's, but I still hear about the odd one today. Just like forceps and the vacuum, it all depends on the circumstances. I've started perineum massage, hoping to decrease the likelihood of a tear, but who knows if it will actually work. :ohwell:
  • VelociMama
    Options

Eek, that sounds awful! I'm so sorry you went through that :frown: But yeah, if you did that and didn't have any pain meds, you might be in your element if you're moving around and being encouraged, especially knowing that it is truly temporary and that the outcome is so good!

It feels more natural to me to cope with pain than to drug it out.

I also want to be clear here that it's my firm belief that EVERY woman should make a decision based on her own needs and that I am not passing judgement on anyone for their choices. As long as mom and babies are all healthy, more power to you all.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

You could ask for a walking epidural; helps with pain but a lower dose so you can still move around. That's the route I'd go if I decided I needed something. My appts are with a certified nurse midwife, but the baby will be delivered by the OB in the military hospital as I don't have a choice on that matter unless the baby comes really fast and there's no time to get to the base 35-45 mins away depending on traffic. I'm initially going for a natural birth and will have a doula present to help advocate my wishes to the OB at the hospital, but knowing that not everything may go the way I want I'm open to deviations in my plan.

I've found a few birth plan templates online and have talked with a coworker who's expecting her second. Since her first birth is really fresh in her mind she's helping to explain the items I don't quite understand, and I'm also doing research to decide if it's right for me. I plan to go over my plan with my doula & husband to make sure we're all on the same page come delivery day, and I'm making sure it's written down so it's not forgotten during the moment.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I also want to be clear here that it's my firm belief that EVERY woman should make a decision based on her own needs and that I am not passing judgement on anyone for their choices. As long as mom and babies are all healthy, more power to you all.

I don't think you sound judgmental in the least :happy: Everybody (and every body) is different, as is every L&D.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used a doula? One of my friends swears by hers and says it was the best money she ever spent. Just curious about other people's experiences.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used a doula? One of my friends swears by hers and says it was the best money she ever spent. Just curious about other people's experiences.
    A coworker will be using a doula for the second time and I'll be getting one as well. It's about $400 with 3-4 pre-delivery appts, on-call starting week 39 and available 24/7 during labor, and 1-2 visits post delivery. I'll be meeting with two this week to decide while doula I'll go with, but my coworker has already chosen hers and has 2 visits and loves her doula as does her husband!