How long did you wait??

Options
rachelrb85
rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
To tell people you were pregnant? Family, friends, co-workers/boss?

I just found out yesterday we are expected our 1st child! I want to tell the world but of course I won't just yet :)
I had to tell a few of my closest friends, but I'm wondering how long everyone waited to tell others??

Replies

• jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    We waited until our 12w ultrasound to even tell our parents/siblings. ILs are the type who like to bring things up over and over, and I didn't want them to re-hash it several times if I miscarried. It was hard not to tell my parents, but again, I was worried about m/c, and given that this is their first grandchild I didn't want to call later to say, "Sorry to disappoint, but it didn't work out". I was worried about letting them down! We made them wait until 13w before telling extended family, and we told friends when we were home to visit at 15 weeks.

I told my work around 14 weeks because I felt like they would notice the weight gain (which looking back at old pics, I still wasn't showing at 20 weeks!), and a few of my coworkers are on my Facebook and I didn't want news to leak out via a friend while we were home and have work discover because of a FB slip-up.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We told our parents at 5 weeks, grandparents/siblings/close friends at 8 (after our first doctor's appointment), my boss at 10, and everyone else/facebook at 12. I *wanted* to tell everyone immediately, as it's a hard secret to keep - but I'm glad I waited to make sure everything was okay!
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    moms and dads we told the next day or so after i got the posittive. Then the rest of the family and friends found out after my 1 ultrasound to make sure all was well. ANd shared the news at around 8weeks..
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We told parents & siblings at 8 weeks. Then we told everyone else (friends, grandparents, coworkers) at 11 weeks when we got a sonogram.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    We told our parents, siblings and my best friend at 5 weeks. We just moved to another country and I need the support :)

Waiting to make it public (and tell work friends/ husbands boss) until after the 1st trimester.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I told my parents, sister, and a few close friends when we found out. Told everyone else around 12 weeks after the u/s so we knew everything was good!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    We told our parents/siblings around 7 weeks, grandparents/extended family/friends at 11 weeks (after our first doctor's appointment w/ultrasound), my supervisor/work around 15 weeks. I found out week 5, and told a very close friend immediately because my husband was out of country for work and I have to have someone to talk to LOL. I surprised him when he got back week 6, and we were going home week 7 so we waited to tell them in person. Grandparents we made phone calls to, but everyone else found out via FB when we posted the u/s pics. Worked out well for us.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My husband told his family the second I came out of the bathroom with a positive test even though I asked him not to. He did the same with some friends even though I asked him not to. I told my family parents/grandparents/siblings after my 1st appt so around 9 weeks. However I was a chicken and did not tell my work till 26 weeks. Do not wait that long I would do it no later than between 12-16 weeks. I am paying for it now that I did not tell them sooner. I work with all men and we are a small company and all of their feelings are hurt that I did not tell him sooner.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I told family almost immediately at 5 weeks and then I told my boss at 9 weeks, and the rest of my co-workers at 11 weeks. It was SO HARD to not tell people but I felt like I was going to jinx myself if I told any sooner.

Congratulations!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    To tell people you were pregnant? Family, friends, co-workers/boss?

I just found out yesterday we are expected our 1st child! I want to tell the world but of course I won't just yet :)
    I had to tell a few of my closest friends, but I'm wondering how long everyone waited to tell others??

Congratulations!

It will be two weeks this coming Sunday since we found out, but so far only my husband and I (of course) know. I would have told my sister, since she and I are super close, but I literally have not seen her in person, which is really unusual for us. We usually do a Spin class together on Saturdays, but the past couple of weeks she has had schedule conflicts. I was expecting to tell her this Saturday while we drive down to it, but she just texted me that he husband's tennis tournament scheduling precludes her from going :( So I may just end up telling her over the phone if I don't see her in person for some other reason. It's killing me that I haven't told her.

Otherwise we plan to tell other family members after the first doctor's appointment, at which point I will be 7.5 weeks pregnant (October 9th). We will see some of my in-laws the following weekend and more of them at a party the next weekend, and so I don't want to have a secret from them (nor do I want them to question why I'm not drinking). Though my MIL has a big mouth and will probably blab about it to others at the party (whom I don't want knowing). However my husband may be able to drill it in her head that they are NOT to say a word about it. Plus the party is for my niece's first birthday, which should be about her anyway.

Facebook announcement will probably be at the beginning of the second trimester, depending on whether or not I'm starting to show. Reason being, I will be tired of hiding it from non-family people whom I see in person (who are also on Facebook) and will appreciate being able to be open about it.

My husband and I own our own business, so telling the boss isn't a problem - however, we intend to tell our two staff members just before our first doctor's appointment so that we can both go without raising any eyebrows. They're two women who are dying for us to have another baby, so I would bet they already know based on the fact that it's been over a month since I put feminine product wrappers in the bathroom trash can.

ETA that I'm terribly verbose, and I'm sorry. I am stressing a bit about sharing the news, in case you can't tell.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    However I was a chicken and did not tell my work till 26 weeks.

When I was pregnant the first time, I told my boss at 22 weeks. (I was heavy to begin with, so I just looked extra fat.) Reason being, I didn't tell my extended family until I was almost 20 weeks* and didn't want any co-workers spilling the beans on Facebook, and we took a vacation when I was 20 weeks. I didn't want to tell my boss and then disappear. I wanted to be back in the swing of things and working hard because at the time I intended to return to my job after my maternity leave.

He was happy for me, but it was horrible trying to hide it at work. Just awful. I don't recommend it. Tell them as early as you can!

*I was trying not to "steal the spotlight" from my sister, who had a baby during my pregnancy. She didn't care (and she knew), but I was just trying to wait until a couple of weeks after her son was born before I said something.

Edited for clarity.