Anyone training for Boston or to Qualify for Boston?

Options
klwtrask
klwtrask Posts: 20 Member
Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who will be running Boston in 2013 or who is trying to qualify for 2014? I ran Boston this year in the ridiculous heat and would like to do it again with a more respectable time :-)

Hope to here from some of you!

Kristen

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I am training for a BQ attempt in less then 4 weeks at the Baystate Marathon in Lowell, MA. I need to run 3:25 to qualify. My PR from last Fall on the hilly Baltimore Marathon course is 3:26. So, barring any weird *kitten*, I should be good to go for 2014. :smile:
  • klwtrask
    Options
    Keep me updated if you don't mind.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Only in my dreams............

I'm planning on running the Ottawa Marathon next May (it's a Boston qualifier) but doubt I'll even come close to a qualifying time.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My goal is 4:00 which is the OLD qualifying time. I am not ready to cut that by another 5 min ... yet. Maybe for 2014.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'm going for a BQ on 10 Nov. I need a 3:30 and feel pretty good about it having trained for 12 months with that goal specifically in mind.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    My goal is 4:00 which is the OLD qualifying time. I am not ready to cut that by another 5 min ... yet. Maybe for 2014.

It could happen. You never know how you'll respond on race day!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I'm going for a BQ on 10 Nov. I need a 3:30 and feel pretty good about it having trained for 12 months with that goal specifically in mind.

You have put in a ton of miles and your previous race performances indicate that you are right there in the ballpark.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I'm staying hopeful. My training runs have been slower than normal... but it was hotter/more humid than normal. So who knows? Guess I'll find out in less than 2 weeks. Thanks for the encouragement btw. :)
  • klwtrask
    Options
    How was the Steamtown Marathon? I've heard that is a good BQ race, but I've never been to that area.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I'm staying hopeful. My training runs have been slower than normal... but it was hotter/more humid than normal. So who knows? Guess I'll find out in less than 2 weeks. Thanks for the encouragement btw. :)

Don't let training runs, especially ones done during the summer months, be an indicator to you. Many of my training runs are 2:00 per mile or more slower than my MP. The most accurate indicator is a recent race performance plugged into a calculator like this one. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am running Boston 2013 and it'll be my first.

My goal spring race will be Shamrock Full so I can hopefully requalify there and do Boston a month later for fun :)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to qualify next year. I am for sure going to run Grandma's Marathon (June 2013) but also am considering finding another marathon a bit earlier in the spring. I need to run 3:40 to qualify, my PR (set this year at Grandma's) is 3:50. Going to train hard over the winter and hopefully get it done next year!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to qualify next year. I am for sure going to run Grandma's Marathon (June 2013) but also am considering finding another marathon a bit earlier in the spring. I need to run 3:40 to qualify, my PR (set this year at Grandma's) is 3:50. Going to train hard over the winter and hopefully get it done next year!

come do Shamrock

3/17 in VA beach. Great flat course and a fun party afterwards. You also get 4 beers with your bib!
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I live on the route and I will be cheering and waving profusely. (Cleveland Circle! Wave back!)

Boston's one of my long-term goals, but.... loooong term.