Any PCOSer's on the Paleo Diet?

Options
Leeny01
Leeny01 Posts: 48 Member
Hey ladies,
Just wondering if anyone is on the Paleo Diet? It makes sense to me but I'd love to hear if anyone has had success on it. Right now I'm struggling between whether I should count carbs or just eat the right carbs, in moderation of'course. I don't want to waste my time doing something that won't help, though I know everyone is different and it's trial and error sometimes. xo

Replies

• SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Paleo but following a modified version of the Keto diet where I restrict carbs to 20g net.

Except for this week where I've had a bit of a binge from starting 3 weeks ago I've lost 9lbs, the same amount of inches all over my body and when in ketosis I'm rarely hungry because I'm consuming high fat moderate protein.

Serene :)
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    BUMP for my buddy :)

I would like to know more about this too! I keep hearing about it but have no clue what it is exactly lol
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've lost most of my weight on a paleo diet. More recently though I cut down my carbs to 30 grams a day for a week just to get out of my plateau. I've lost 6lbs this week alone. And 45 over all. It works and once you get used to it you will love it. Try it for a couple of weeks and see how it helps. You have nothing to lose but the weight.
  • Leeny01
    Options
    Thank you, ladies. From what I understand, it's the "caveman" diet. (To be honest, I don't really care about it's historical roots lol) It's eating whatever could be hunted for and gathered, no dairy, no processed foods, no grains (maybe some grains, still not sure on this)...so mostly, veggies, meat, nuts/seeds, fruit. There's no counting or anything. Then "primal" means you have dairy. That's my understanding, lol. I'm not really supposed to have dairy anyway but I think I would keep plain yogurt in my diet occasionally, just for probiotic purposes. It's naturally gluten free which is good since many of us may be intolerant to gluten without even realizing it. (Which will make you hold onto weight) I'd love any feedback people have about this, everyone I hear about seems to lose quite a bit of weight on it!
  • Leeny01
    Options
    I've lost most of my weight on a paleo diet.

Thanks for the feedback! How quickly did you lose the weight before your plateau? Would you mind clarifying if any grains are allowed? Any other tips? THANK YOU :smile:
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've noticed some Paleo forums on here. There is also something called 'Primal' which is similar but perhaps less strict. I've had the Paleo suggested to me by many people now and I wrote it off as the latest health/natural food craze but I'm starting to believe in it (a bit). I think sugar has been causing me a lot of problems and since i have to avoid it, something like Paleo/Primal or Low-GI is where I'm headed (even my midwife thinks it's what I need to do for the PCOS, insulin resistance & getting pregnant).
  • LooneyBruni
    LooneyBruni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't do Paleo, but I've noticed that when I ate 100-130g of carbs daily my weight loss was super slow. I've been eating 60-80g of carbs for 2 weeks and I've lost 6 pounds. I will continue eating like this to make sure that doing low carb makes it easier for me to Lose the weight.
  • michellev214
    Options
    I have been working out 5 days a week now for about 6 months and was getting frustrated with not losing any real weight, I would lose 2 lbs, gain a pound, and it felt like i was playing with the same 5 pounds over and over. I was eating healthy and feeling frustrated, so I went and did some reading and learning and came across the paleo diet. I thought about my body, my issues and decided to give it a try.
    I use a food tracker to track my carbs , fats and proteins, so I know I am in the limits for me. And I am happy to say that I have lost 3.5 pounds this week, week 2 of my new paleo style food plan. I havent been able to do that for the last 5 months. I think I have found what works for me, and give me hope of getting this darn stubborn weight off. More books on my table to read, but so far I have learned alot about listening to what my body needs. I am gluten sensitive and carb sensitive. WIth both of those things way down in my diet I am finally starting to get the weight off!