Planning a GF Thanksgiving

Options
JanLeb
JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
I am in Canada and Thanksgiving is next weekend and I am doing a big family dinner (I think 17 people will be here). Well this will be my first Thanksgiving dinner since go GF, and am planning on doing almost the whole meal gluten free. I will have rolls for everyone else, which is fine as I don't usually eat them anyway, and will also have a cherry pie, as it is my daughters and father in laws favorite. Everything else however is going to be prepared GF so that I can enjoy the meal as well.

My husband says that is how it should be, and my mother agrees. However I don't plan on telling others as they seem to think that I "suffer" having to eat GF. I want to see what they have to say about the meal first, then I will tell them all

I am wondering if this is selfish of me, or if you feel there is nothing wrong with me preparing a GF thanksgiving and proving to my family it can e just as tasty.

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you can test some of these recipes out before Thanksgiving. If you're family doesn't notice a difference - ask them and see what they think. Also, you can make a gluten free pie. Udi's now makes gluten free pie crusts. You may want to make the pie once before Thanksgiving and have your family test it out to see what they think.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You could even make gluten free zuchini or pumpkin bread - even banana bread for breakfasts so everyone has something to snack on the next day. I'm guessing the family is coming from out of town so you're putting everyone up. :)
  • JanLeb
    Options
    Our thanksgiving is next week, so not a lot of time to do much more testing. I have been practicing with some recipes and am pleased with the results. Most family lives close by, we just can't always get together at the same time.

I am fine making a regular pie, I do also have a GF dessert planned.
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if this is selfish of me, or if you feel there is nothing wrong with me preparing a GF thanksgiving and proving to my family it can e just as tasty.
    I don't think it is selfish at all. You are providing the meal, you should be able to choose what you are going to cook. And you certainly should be able to eat everything you cook too. I did this last year for our American Thanksgiving and did exactly as you plan. I had seperate rolls for those that wanted non-gluten free but other than that, I used gf options for everything else. I didn't tell everyone until after the meal and even those that I would expect to be very picky said "really? well, it was good". For me, Thanksgiving is about family and being thankful, a gf meal isn't going to hurt anyone. Enjoy!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I am grain free, vegan, with multiple allergies. I *only* cook what I can eat.
  • ktouton
    ktouton Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Best pumpkin pie recipe I have ever done is to create a pumpkin pie EXACTLY as you have done before. Do not pour it into a pie crust, instead add 1/4 cup GF flour. Bake as usual. Most people do not miss the crust. I got this from www.glutenfreeeasily.com.

Nicole at www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com has an AWESOME apple crisp recipe. You need to use GF oatmeal and then it is fine. A neighbor of ours actually asked who made it and could not believe it is GF.

I have been using corn starch in my gravy for years. It tends to not be as lumpy.

Use the web, it is your friend. There are plenty of people who have created recipes for Thanksgiving. Some are easy, some are hard. Good luck with everything.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Whenever to do Thanksgiving the whole meal is GF and dairy free! People complained at first, but my husband told them that they could come and eat or not - didn't matter to us, lol! But everything turns out great (except my biscuits - I don't know WHY I can't make biscuits!! This isn't new for me though, I couldn't make them before I was GF either, lol). I usually make pie crusts and a couple of pumpkin pies... yum :). I save the ends of bread loaves that we buy and make the dressing from those. Everything is from scratch around here! Oh, and make absolutely sure your turkey is GF. We had an issue one year that 'natural flavors' was listed on the ingredients, and sure enough, it was gluten related.
  • JanLeb
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions!

I just want to let you know that my GF thanksgiving meal was a success!! I made everything from scratch and everyone really enjoyed the meal. My husband even said that was the best gravy he has had :)

I waited until everyone was done and then told them it was a GF meal, they were all surprised - even though they saw me eating it as well. :smile:

I finally feel like I am getting a better feel for living gluten free....I am trying more and more recipes and instead of feeling like this is so hard, I feel like a litte more work this is becoming much easier for me to follow. And feeling better is the pay off!