Make sure you are eating enough!

Options
2»

Replies

• sgjohnson89
    sgjohnson89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 cals is low especially for breast feeding! I have a 7.5 month old who still breastfeeds on demand. Im doing 1500 calories and can see weight loss. I try not to go over 1500 but if I do I dont beat myself up about it. I'm not really "strict" on my diet. If I go over I just start over the next day. Did you use the breastfeeding calculator. For my sons weight and age It said I was producing 1000 cal worth of milk. ( he weighs 24 lbs.) and night feeds.
  • lissap850
    lissap850 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey!! Breastfeeding a toddler and a 6 month old baby here! :o) My settings say for me to lose 2 lbs a week also. So how do I calculate how many calories I need daily but not too many so I can lose the weight? Where is the milk calculator you were talking about?
  • cory921
    cory921 Posts: 2
    Options
    The link is in her post at the beginning
  • GinaRicky
    GinaRicky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is good information. Thanks to everyone for their input.

So let me see if I have this straight. It is suggested that we eat the following calories:

Our estimated output of bf in ounces times 20 for the burn
    Our exhusted exercise calories
    and a base diet of 1200 calories?

So if my daughter eats 30 oz in a day I should eat:
    30 x 20 (bf burn) = 600
    800 exercise cals
    1200 base diet which equals 2600 cals per day???

That seams a little scary?

Can anyone confirm that I'm thinking about this correctly for me please.
  • heatherurban
    Options

So let me see if I have this straight. It is suggested that we eat the following calories:

30 x 20 (bf burn) = 600
    800 exercise cals

I had a similar estimate and it freaks me out too!
  • GinaRicky
    GinaRicky Posts: 38 Member
    Options

30 x 20 (bf burn) = 600
    800 exercise cals

I had a similar estimate and it freaks me out too!

LOL I know right?! Did anyone respond to you?
  • jessla84
    jessla84 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am also EBF and it works out I should be eating around 2246 calories a day......I know we are supposed to net between 1500 -1800 calories, which works out about right but then looking at how much 'actual calories' I've eaten is scary!

I've set my calories at 1550 a day, I eat them and also eat back the calories I burn for breast feeding, which is roughly around 546. And if I exercise I also try to eat them back! I just sometimes struggle to eat that much!!

My total calories eaten today is 2162 but I've actually only eaten 1519 of net calories.

Hope I haven't confused you
  • Wallace082011
    Options
    I am starting to think I am not eating enough either
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone;
    I've asked about BFing calories on the general board and they told to -400 per day so that is what I was doing. But reading all this I am starting to think I'm not eating enough and subtracting enough?! HELP!

I'm Bf my 4month full time probably every 2 hours. I wasn't dieting before but I was automatically losing from her birth up until she was 2months old. Now for 2month I have found out I've gained so I'm back on MFP. It says to maintain my weight I need to consume 2012 calories per day -- not factoring in that I am BFing or wokring out or that I want to lose weight! PLZ help!
  • JennieMLane
    JennieMLane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "I have MFP set for me to lose two pounds a week, and for my breastfeeding calories I created a food called Breastfeeding where 1 ounce = -25 calories." quote taken from someone 'redvolutionary" post.
  • JennieMLane
    JennieMLane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just posted a quote, that is cool the -25 calories as a food for breast feeding! Thanks for the tip. I'm just figuring this site out.
    Newborn, 6 weeks and I've lost 26 of the 29 lbs. I gained, I'm sure a lot is due to nursing! Still have 46 lbs after that to go though.
  • Wallace082011
    Options
    Well this is what I decided to do on here: I went to tools and found out my BMR, which is 1339 and set that as my calorie intake for each day, then I use the Food option to subtract each time I breastfeed or pump at work and it adds more calories for me to eat during the day. So I eat my 1339 calories and any that I burn when I BF or pump. Is this correct? If it doesn't work I will reevaluate in two weeks.

Her article is not confusing, I just don't know how she did in on MFP. Did she add all the calories she should eat manually into the goals area and only subtract the exercise or did she set it up differently? Anyone want to shar how they setup their account on here?
  • fitmommapear
    fitmommapear Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose the last ten and I've been wondering why it seems to not be coming off. I'm going to use the calculator and add I my calories. I have only been adding 500 calories to my fitness for nursing, but need to do more. But should it be added as afoot and ounces? That seems like a lot of work to subtract it every time they feed or adjust the amount each day. I curious to know what others suggest doing. Thanks for the great info, I didn't know there was such a calculator.
  • hollyferweda
    Options
    So I have a question for everyone: as your baby gets heavier and consumes more breast milk, do you increase your breast feeding calories?? My 8 week old was 10 pounds two weeks ago and is now 11, making the amount of milk she consumes higher, according to the milk calculator. Do I change my breastfeeding calories as she get bigger??
  • sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This honestly seems way too complicated. My midwife says to eat at least 1800 calories when nursing. So, I have been eating between 1800-200 calories a day, sometimes more, since my son was born 7 months ago. I have lost 67 pounds and I am still going strong.