What weights are you guys using?

Options
I did my first day yesterday of the 30DS, and I was wondering what you guys were using for weights? I used 8 lb weights and would switch to my 4's for a couple reps if it got to be too much. Just hoping using higher weight like that will burn more fat instead of add a lot of muscle. Tryin' to look feminine here guys! haha! So I would love to hear what you guys are using! :D

Replies

• FutureSkinnyMama03
    Options
    8's would kill my arms right now! :) I am starting with 3s and will switch to 5s when it's starting to feel too easy & I'm not feeling the burn.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I did 6 days of L1 a couple if weeks ago before I got sick and used 5 lbs. The first 2 days I had to quit with 2 reps of some of the lifts to go, but by day 3 I was doing them all. I think 3 or 5 are recommended to start with.

So excited to start again with you all!
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    Lol the only dumbbells I got are 15 pounds each and it was too hard so I just replace the weights with household items
  • Timkoetta
    Timkoetta Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is D day! I am excited. I have a set of dumbells that range from 3-8 I think. I am going to use the heavest weight I can use during each particular exercise to build as much strength as possible. If I have to buy heavier weights I will.

I have done this work out a few times in the past and it kicks butt! Does anyone know much about the "Extreme Shred"?

:flowerforyou:
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I started a day early. I wanted a buffer day because I know that when I do my USMC mudrun later in the month, I am definitely not doing 30DS that day, so I wanted an extra day to keep me on target! I
    I used my 5lb weights and they were tough but manageable. I will stick with 5lbs and not increase weight. There was only one exercise on level one that I couldn't finish all the reps of, so I just used one of the weights and set the other down.
  • lewis350
    Options
    Danaleeder, let me guess, the exercise that u couldn't finish were the side lunges with arm raises?
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I use 5's or 8's depending on the excercise and my energy level.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    lewis350, spot on! Those side lunges and arm raises were killer, but worth it because I am "good sore" now. :)
  • anieves815
    anieves815 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Lol I absolutely HATE the side lunges and arm raises!!

I'm using 5lbs weights :-)
  • brittrose33
    Options
    I've been working Level 1 here and there into my workout schedule, and I've been using 5 pound weights. Hopefully I can work my way up to 8s at some point, but Jillian is tough enough as it is. :wink:
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't have any weights, so I'm using two very large glasses, haha... They weigh around 2 lbs each, and it's still pretty tough to get through those darn side lunge-arm raises :D
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I personally have begun using 5lb weights (I used none or 2lb weights the first time I tried 30DS). :bigsmile: I need to trim down my pudgy arms and I love the burn the day after. I even tweak Jillian's arm moves a bit to target additional arm muscles.
  • geewizzamanda357
    geewizzamanda357 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am using 3 lb pound weights for now. Once I can get through the whole routine using the weights the entire time, I will probably try going up to 5 lbs. I don't want to hurt myself and have an easy excuse for skipping days! I have never had much upper arm strength, so I am struggling with just 3 lbs for now.
  • HakunaMatata519
    HakunaMatata519 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I didn't find out about this group until today, hope you all don't mind if I join in! I finished day 7 today.

I'm using 5lb weights. Honestly, if I would have known about those dang side lunges with anterior raises, I would have bought 3! lol But I'm glad I've stuck with the 5!
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    LOL I started with 5 and couldn't do it. I have NO upper body strength. I wanted 3lb but the store was out so I have 1lb walking weights. The first two days with them they were easy but I could still feel they were there. I definitely need 3 lbs now because I keep going back and forth between these 1 and 5 and it's either too much or too little.
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of arm strength. It was a few sessions of pilates before the arms and shoulders stopped creaking as I tried to raise and lower them. Also, I wasn't sure what weights to buy, but I did fill up a couple equal water bottles to the very top so there was no air, and the weight was pretty well distributed so I used that. They're a little more than 3 lbs each. It definitely did the trick for now!
  • chapelprincess
    chapelprincess Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used my 3lb weights and was happy I did for the anterior raises with side lunges! Although I think I can use my 5's for the chest presses. I'll stick with that until it gets easier then bump it up.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ive been using 2lb weights because thats all they had when I went weight shopping, well they had 15's but I didnt think that was a good idea. Im thinking about going to get some 5's this weekend, I really need to work on my upper body strength!
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm using 3 and 5 when I'm feeling energetic. But I don't want any heavier weights.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I used 8lb dumb-bells this morning. I forgot yesterday was the 1st when I went to the gym so I started this morning instead. FElt good.