Chocolate whey protein recommendations?

Options
adamlb
adamlb Posts: 106 Member
Hi,
I think with protein supplements, once you find one you can stomach you're best to stay with it. Unfortunately for me, I'd been using Met-Rx Supreme Whey for years and they've changed the formula from one that was quite rich and chocolate tasting to a horribly artificial, medicinal-tasting horror :( Proteins are of course quite expensive so it's a bit of a barrier to experimentation - can anyone recommend a chocolate one available in the UK that tastes nice?

Replies

• jenneal89
    jenneal89 Posts: 243
    Options
    I like precision engineered chocolate whey protein powder. I think it's quite delicious with water (never tried it wtg milk because I'm sure it would be even better and I'd be hooked lol). I got it at holland & baratts
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The Holland & Barrett chocolate one is nice (although I did not like their vanilla and strawberry favlours). I only buy it from there when it's on a half price deal, which is about 50% of the time so you never have to wait long for it to come back on sale.

Chocolate Impact Whey from myprotein also tastes good and is one of the cheapest protein retailers around. They also do trial packs for 99p of all their flavours so you can sample various flavour before commiting to a bulk buy.
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the suggestions! I will definitely chase up those sample packs, and hit H&B as well! :smile:
  • youknome
    Options
    Aren't protein shakes more expensive now because of the addition of VAT? :(

But I drink PHD Diet Whey Belgian chocolate flavour, love it. The Nutri Centre in Tesco and GNC stock it. Those are the 2 places I get them from tbh. GNC has always been cheaper though when they have their buy 1 get 1 free offer.
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I quite like the one they sell at my gym, USN 100% whey protein in chocolate, apparently it's the only one they are allowed to sell, but I'm not sure why?
  • moosejuice16
    Options
    I use myprotein.coms impact whey protein.

Chocolate smooth is about the only flavour i can have every day with water. Tastes pretty good and is fairly cheap
  • mcfc4tony
    mcfc4tony Posts: 107 Member
    Options
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have my proteins chocolate nut which is nice and have just ordered some chocolate mint one to try they do loads of flavours so might be worth trying them out.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Do you know whats a good milk based protein that you can quickly consume pre and post workout and even comes in chocolate flavour? Cottage cheese.

Per 300g tub (low fat version) Kcals 213. 33g Protein
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have my proteins chocolate nut which is nice and have just ordered some chocolate mint one to try they do loads of flavours so might be worth trying them out.

My Protein's Chocolate Nut is nice, The Choc Mint - :sick:

Strawberry Delight isn't too terrible
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's *much* cheaper to get a decent plain powder and add a teaspoon of quality cocoa powder and a sweetner to it. I favour Green & Blacks organic cocoa as it's really smooth tasting.
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options

My Protein's Chocolate Nut is nice, The Choc Mint - :sick:

Strawberry Delight isn't too terrible

Oh no the reviews are really good! the banoffee one is nice too tastes like banana nesquick!
  • moguline
    moguline Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use USN as well, I alternate Strawberry Cream and Chocolate Cream flavours. They both taste ok. Not the richest chocolate flavour but I guess that's intentional due to the "cream" bit. ;) I mainly use it because it's so cheap. You can buy it in Costco if you're a member - 2.28 kg, which is £72 on USN's own website, is only £29 in Costco! That's the cheapest protein powder I've found anywhere.
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein as it was recommended by a personal trainer. I have only tried the Double Rich Chocolate and it is delicious. Got it on Amazon on promotion.
  • Qos_
    Qos_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Checkout myprotein great site and I have used their protein for a long time, well thought of.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's *much* cheaper to get a decent plain powder and add a teaspoon of quality cocoa powder and a sweetner to it. I favour Green & Blacks organic cocoa as it's really smooth tasting.

I love this idea, I'll buy 'natural' flavour next time to save some £££s.
  • theonly1iknow
    theonly1iknow Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I love this idea, I'll buy 'natural' flavour next time to save some £££s.

^^^^
    THIS! i add a teaspoon of whittards cinnamon hot choc powder, skimmed milk & a banana to my H&B natural flavour powder. means your protein powder is a bit more versatile too, sometimes i add frozen fruit & water instead of milk, a banana & choc to mix it up a bit.
  • Fatguy2Fitguy
    Fatguy2Fitguy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Phd diet whey Belgian chocolate is the most 'choccy' one I've tried. Tescos now stock it cheaper than most. Although the VAT increase comes in this month! Great Olympic legacy!

On that note, just wait for new products for slimmers on the market, as you can have exactly the same product as a protein powder but they are 0% VAT rated! It's all because ones a slimming aid and ones a nutritional supplement, see the difference me neither... Well except or the 20% tax
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You know, large suppliers also sell individual portion sachets, so you can try them out before you by several kgs.

Tesco sell PHD which currently works out cheaper than smart price chicken for £/protein g.

To the poster who mentioned The Nutri Centre, be careful, the one I've been were selling the exact same stock for 13% more than Tescos.... all within the one building.
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi I just bought a tub of precision engineered chocolate whey protein from Holland and Barratt - conclusion REALLY DISGUSTING

i bought it because it was on offer!