Prayers for My Sister, Sue

Options
perfectingpatti
perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
I know some of you already know her story, but for those of you who don't: Sue was diagnosed with a glioblastoma (stage 4 brain cancer) when she was 31 years old. At that time, she was given 6 months to a year to live. She had surgery to remove the tumor and 24 months of chemo with some radiation. That was 12 years ago! I wouldn't say she's had an easy 12 years, but we were blessed with more time than we expected.

Last summer, Sue suffered a stroke and was paralyzed on her left side. We determined she could no longer live on her own, but she needed more medical care than any of us could provide in our homes, so she moved into a nursing home. Since then, she has declined rapidly (we were told to expect that). She has vascular dementia, is completely deaf, and hallucinates. They've got her meds adjusted so she isn't psychotic anymore, but this zones her out.

I went to visit her on Saturday, and it took her a while to recognize me. That was a first. I'm the oldest of 4 girls and she and I are only 13 months apart. We've always been close, so this was tough for me. She doesn't talk about anything outside of her room; like she didn't ask how my kids were, she doesn't ask for her own kids anymore, and never asks what's going on in the world.

We know the decline will be swift from here, and we are okay with that. We just pray for peace and comfort now. I'd appreciate it if you'd pray for Sue, and especially for my mom who is having such a hard time watching her child die. I've attached a picture of Sue with my daughter, Katy, so you can put a face to your prayers.

SueKaty_zps1a1e4706.jpg

Thank you in advance for the prayers!

Replies

• Self_Control_Freak
    Self_Control_Freak Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've asked the BVM to intercede. She has never been known to leave a petitioner unaided.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    I've asked the BVM to intercede. She has never been known to leave a petitioner unaided.

Thank you, Father. Today is the Feast Day of St. Therese of Lisieux, which comforts me today after seeing Sue this weekend.
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Will of course remember Sue in my prayers.....
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Will of course remember Sue in my prayers.....

Thank you.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    She will be in my prayers.
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    "From infancy to death human life is surrounded by their (the angels) watchful care and intercession. Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life. Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united to God." ~ the Catechism of the Catholic Church; 336.

I will pray the following prayer for Sue and for all her loved ones and caregivers:
    Angel of God, my guardian dear, To whom God's love commits me here,
    Ever this day, be at my side, To light and guard, Rule and guide.
    Amen.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Thank you!
  • BestCindyICanBe
    BestCindyICanBe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I will be praying for her and your whole family. I know that it is hard to watch a loved one decline and you all need prayers also.

Dear Lord Jesus, Please be with Sue. Keep her pain free and bring her closer to you each day. Give strength to her family as they go through this time of sorrow. We especially pray this for Sue's mom. We ask this in our Holy and wonderful name. Amen
  • mickeyskinnyjeans
    mickeyskinnyjeans Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    She has been added to my noonday list (you too).:flowerforyou:
  • pumpkinoodle
    pumpkinoodle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    May God bless you, Sue and your family. *hugs*
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone!