A Question For PCOS Vets

Options
Hey Ladies!

I was diagnosed with PCOS only a month ago, but I don't seem to have most of the symptoms. Apart from cysts present in an ultrasound, and weight gain (which I think is my own fault. Thanks college...) everything seems pretty normal. My insulin and glucose levels are normal, but my Dr. put me on MetFormin anyhow. Before being put on MetFormin, I was easily able to lose 30lbs using MFP. But in the last 3 weeks, my weight has not budged. Now my question to you ladies is, could this simply be a plateau and I just need to increase cals/intensity of workouts or has anyone experienced this sort of problem once they started taking MetFormin? I know everyone with PCOS tends to eat low carb, but I do tend to avoid pasta and I eat low GI foods, so I don't think that would be the problem. (Also, if you look at my diary, I recently changed my settings, so it looks like I have been going over by a lot, but the intake was fine based off of old settings) Thanks for any help! :smile:

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Not really sure why they would put you on metformin if not needed, but I would assume because most dr's think it aids in weight loss, which I think for some it does, never did anything for me, so I only took it for about a month when I was first diagnosed over 12 years ago.

You sound alot like myself, i don't have alot of symptoms others have, mostly the weight and probably fertility. You stall could either be you messing around with your diet (like upping or lowering cals), sometimes your body will hold onto to water weight, so this will go away. Also, it could be a plateau. I have been stalled out for weeks after losing 42 lbs steadily. Our bodies are unfortunately very stubborn, sometimes I feel like if we don't get it JUST right, there is always an issue with losing.

Just try and be patient, I know how frustrating it is, but the longer you stick with something, the better it will get. If you are changing up your diet, best to wait 2 weeks to a month to see if it is really working or not. Sometimes it takes a bit of time.

Friend me if you need some support :) Love my PCOS girls, all fighting the same fight :(
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take the metformin if you were able to lose weight without it. I lost weight doing low carb and until recently I was stuck and couldn't lose anymore weight. I went to see a kenisiologist and she told me to reduce my carbs to 30 grams per day for a week and then return to normal (which is 50-70 grams per day). Doing this will shock your body. I've been doing this less than a week and I've lost 5lbs so far. I plan on giving it another 3-4 days for sure.

Try that and I'm sure you will see a huge difference.
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yeah I don't understand why I'm on the MetFormin either if I don't have an insulin problem. I'm going to try that low carb shock and see what happens! I have been lifting weights more than usual and I know that sore muscles = water retention, so maybe it's really nothing. :)
  • ShannonJohnson
    ShannonJohnson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The metformin should be stopping the cysts forming in your ovaries. I also had no real symptoms except I was not getting a cycle on my own, only with the help of Provera, and I did gain a lot of weight at once in my early 20s- about 30 lbs in a year! I also thought that it was just cause my metabolism finally caught up to me and college lifestyle too.

I went in cause we wanted to get pregnant but I was not able to get my period on my own and they did a bunch of blood tests and then did a ultrasound to confirm what they barely saw on the blood test. They confirmed I had cysts on my ovaries and right away started me on Metformin to reduce and get rid of the cysts before trying fertility treatments. The Metformin did that, so that is maybe why they have you on it. Since I have been taking it I have not had any cysts.