30 day shred alone or...?

Options
autovatic
autovatic Posts: 99 Member
Hi folks,
I'm a first time 30DSer and I just did level 1 day 1! I'm using 5 lb weights, and it definitely was a challenge. Prior to this, I was doing 30-60 min of cardio (treadmill or elliptical) about 6 days a week. With this program only being 20 min, I don't want to give up my running entirely for 30 days, because I worry I'll lose some endurance that I have painfully built up.

How many of you are doing 30ds with some other exercise? I think I saw a few were doing c25k concurrently... are you guys doing 30 days in a row, or taking recovery days? How are you scheduling your other exercise time?

Any input would help - I'm just trying to gauge what would be a reasonable running schedule while continuing to do 30ds. Ideally, I'd like to do all 30 days in a row, to finish by the end of October. Appropriate for Halloween because Jillian Michaels is s pretty scary lady! Thanks!

Replies

• kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think some are doing C25k also, or making up an extra 30 mins of cardio a day.

I personally believe that I get better results when I take rest days, so I'm doing 30DS 5x week. I want my body to change at a maintainable pace and not be shocked for 30 days and then me reduce the amount of time I workout. But each to their own, it's up to you!

I'm going to add in 15-30min HIIT cardio workouts x2/week and 1hr of Zumba x1/week and then a long cardio session x1/week. I'm also hoping to fit in one yoga session but my main focus will be getting that 30DS in!
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30DS and attempting the C25k concurrently! :bigsmile: I have found that previously, I was only excruciatingly sore from the Shred the first few days of each level, so I figure I can do my 3 days of the C25k on my stronger days. :flowerforyou:
  • lewis350
    Options
    I will be jogging 6kms 2-3 times per week, spinning for 5kms straight after doing 30DS (have spin bike at home) and netball (sort of like basketball) 2 times per week. On top of doing daily shred, I will not take rest days as I don't feel I need them.....
  • newbody2013
    Options
    I started the 30 day shred about 4 days ago but I did miss yesterday due to being lazy... i know sooo bad!
    I am going to do it twice today so I make up for yesterday...
    Does anyone know how many calories Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred?
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Only other exercise ill be doing is walking the school run ( 2.53 miles a day) and walking the dogs 2 x 20 mins a day. As im building my quad strength up again after injury i think it would be pushing it to do more than that.

The first time i did 30DS i did it 30 days straight but this time im doing it 5 days a week then having the weekends off due to them being taken up by rugby!
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I will be doing 30DS and Kickbox Fast Fix on alternating days.

Also, walking dogs, dancing, jogging, lifting... sprinkled in here and there.
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options

My HRM gives me about 230-260 calories... I'm 5'5 and weigh 196 though. If you use MFP's "aerobics high intensity" it's pretty close.
  • lewis350
    Options

I am 5ft 8in, 138 pounds and quite fit. I burnt 164 calories yesterday.
  • BrenduhLianax
    Options
    What is the c25k?
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm on week three of the c25k and day three of the 30day shred. I'm planning on taking the weekend off from the c25k (so I run M/W/F) but continuing with the 30DS on those days (it's "only" 20 minutes after all!). I'm also trying to do daily yoga, sometimes 2x a day. For instance, I do a yoga routine for runners as a warm up for running, but I also do an evening practice occasionally to relax and go to sleep.

I actually had to repeat this week on the c25k because when I attempted day 2 last week I couldn't do the second 90 sec run! The first day I ROCKED those 6 minutes, so it was confusing. I think it was because I increased my activity too much, too quickly with the 30DS and so I need to increase my calories as well. I adjusted that here (increased my goal activity level) and today when I ran I did much better. I still had trouble with the second 90 sec run, but this time I made up for it by running 5 minutes instead of 3 for the second longer run.
  • lewis350
    Options
    What is the c25k?

A running program called couch to 5kms, you can also get an app for your phone which coaches you while listening to music.
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've always walked a lot, and that's not going to change.

I'm not sure about rest days and such yet. I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow and the next day. It usually takes a couple days for soreness to set in for me, and as of now I'm feeling pretty good. So I don't want to gauge all of that yet.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    I'm just doing 30 day shred itself. After I'm done my legs are killing me. I don't think butt kickers and jumping jacks are too friendly for someone my size, but I manage to do them. I usually do about 120 jumping jacks everytime, then all the other exercises I just do them until I can no longer cope.
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I walk whenever I'm going somewhere, so that gets me a bit more cardio. I do have a lot of free time this week, and not many places to walk to, so I may get out and do something else too. :)
  • chapelprincess
    chapelprincess Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You girls that do anything extra are amazing! I am so sore after day 2 I can't imagine doing anything else. I'm going to just stick to the 30DS and see where that gets me. Maybe after the soreness settles down, I can think about adding something else in, but probably will just stick to this.
  • Nillia2
    Nillia2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    trying to mix it up. When i am at school on tuesday, i strength train in the gym. On wednesday i plan to do an aerobic free class and thursday I may go back in the gym not sure...the rest of the days i hope i can build the courage to do zumba with it, even if its just 10-20 mins

I
  • autovatic
    autovatic Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I decided, once I got past the soreness of the first couple of days, I would try and get some running in as well. Felt okay today, so I ran two ten minute miles - which is less than I would do regularly, but I was sweating buckets! Playing it by ear now, so I guess we'll see how it goes.
  • BrenduhLianax
    Options
    Today is L1D3 for me completed! Ive completed the Turbo Fire months ago, and so today i threw in HIIT 20 after 30DS. Man was that hard! I think im going to add that in 2 times a week and then one of the regular Cardio TF classes in. So 3 alternative workouts added each week :) Let's see what results I get!