WDW Marathon Weekend January 10-13!

Options
15 short weeks to Marathon Weekend! Shouldn't you be out running?? :smile:

http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I've been faithfully training and feeling good about it. I'm following Jeff Galloway's training plan, including run/walk/run. Anyone else on here doing that?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Galloway plan too. Just started his half marathon training program (today was 4 mi run). What ratio are you using? I have been doing 4:1 but am thinking of trying 3:1 or even 2:1 because even after 4 miles I was starting to slow down . . .
  • kgb6days
    Options
    On my 4 mile run I did a 2:1. This Sat I did my 5 miler and changed to a 3:1, but at the end I was having to walk a little more than called for. I might stick with the 3:1 for this Sat (4 mile) and then move into a 2:1 for the 6.5 the next Sat. Have you done any of the MMs yet?
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'll be running the Goofy!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Fellow Goofy runner, right here! (slightly terrified!) I'm doing the run/walk also. I try to run 4, walk 1. My treadmill keeps me at a consistent pace... when it decides to cooperate, that it. lol

SO EXCITED!!! Bring it!
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    On my 4 mile run I did a 2:1. This Sat I did my 5 miler and changed to a 3:1, but at the end I was having to walk a little more than called for. I might stick with the 3:1 for this Sat (4 mile) and then move into a 2:1 for the 6.5 the next Sat. Have you done any of the MMs yet?

I haven't done a MM yet, mostly because I keep forgetting but also because I'm afraid I will be so slow it will tell me to do 30 sec/30 sec or something. I would like to at least pretend like I'm a runner at the race! I tried a 3:1 this morning on my 40 min. run and think I'll try a 2:1 this weekend on my 5 miler.

The trick is both finding the right ratio and pacing yourself on the run portions from the beginning. I usually start out running a 12 minute mile pace but by the end of the run I'm at 13-14, which I think is not supposed to happen.

How fast does everyone else go during the running and walking portions? My walking portion is usually around 17-18 min/mile -- I feel like I need to speed it up, especially since my running pace is slow.
  • kgb6days
    Options
    I usually run at 11 min, and walk at 14. Don't know if I'll be able to keep up that speed though. I was running out of gas at the end of my mile run
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    I usually run at 11 min, and walk at 14. Don't know if I'll be able to keep up that speed though. I was running out of gas at the end of my mile run

That's fast! I don't know if I could walk that fast. Are you on a treadmill or outside?

I had my best run so far this morning -- 5 miles, average 14.12 min/mile pace, and I felt good throughout. Very consistent pace in each mile, which is a new achievement for me. I used a 2:1 interval which seems to be my best ratio. I was able to run an average of 12:30 min/mile and walk 16:30 min/mile. I also wore my belt for the first time, carried water, and ate gu at 4 miles. It was good! Just need to find a way to carry a dog bowl on my belt because my dog won't drink out of a squirt bottle . . .
  • kgb6days
    Options
    I hate a treadmill. I'm doing my long run outside. My midweek runs are on the inside track at the Y. DH tells me I'm walking too fast, so I might slow it down a little and see how I do. I'm going back to the 2:1 ratio this Sat
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    oh my a 14'0" walk. that is amazing!!!

I'm just starting out but then again I dont plan on going to marathon weekend until 2014
  • blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm going to wind up being in Disney this weekend - we might go check out what's going on at ESPN if it's open to non-runners. Also going to scope out the trail...I think I might panic less if I see it in person, because the map is terrifying! Haha
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    How is everyone's training coming? I did an 8 mile run/walk this morning. The bad news -- it took almost 2 hours. The good news -- I felt great and finished stronger than I started. It's hard to find the balance between pushing yourself and pacing yourself so you don't burn out. I keep telling myself all I want to do is finish, but I want to finish before they pack up the race!
  • kgb6days
    Options
    I made a 10 mile run/walk this past Sat, completed in 2 hours even. It was only supposed to be a 9.5, but I just decided at the end to make it a nice round number. I'm amazed that I was able to do that. My pace was faster the last several miles, so I'm trying to find the balance. I'd rather finish faster at the end than start too strong and not be able to finish. My goal right now is to finish in under 3, but I'd love less than 2.5.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    Nice, kgb! I did the 9.5 miler this morning in 2hr 15 min. I'm pretty happy with that. Seem to be right on track to finish around the 3 hr mark. Glad everything is going well.
  • kgb6days
    Options
    Husband ran a half marathon this weekend and used the Galloway run/walk/run method. He set a PR by over 10 minutes! He's a believer in this method now. Just thought I'd share that since there are some of us using that. It's not an escape, it really works!
  • djs113
    djs113 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Completed a 9.4 mile run in 1:30 on Thanksgiving Day. Longest run for me so far and I think I'm on target for finishing the half in 2:10.
  • kgb6days
    Options
    Completed a 9.4 mile run in 1:30 on Thanksgiving Day. Longest run for me so far and I think I'm on target for finishing the half in 2:10.

That will be a great time! Congrats
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Nice, kgb! I did the 9.5 miler this morning in 2hr 15 min. I'm pretty happy with that. Seem to be right on track to finish around the 3 hr mark. Glad everything is going well.

That's an awesome job! I did 7 in 1:25 but I'm just glad I finished it today! You'll do great at WDW!
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    I hope everyone's training is going well -- we are nearing the home stretch! I fell off the training wagon and missed a couple of weekend runs traveling/being sick and it has been hard to make up for it -- my longest run so far is still 9.5mi a few weeks ago. This morning I did 6 miles (run/walk, avg. 14 min pace), plan to do 12 next weekend and then an easy 4-5 miles the weekend before the race. Hopefully that (plus a little adrenaline, caffeine and sugar) wil be enough.

I admit I am looking forward to the race being behind me as I don't find running as fun when I feel like I "have" to do it. I'm looking forward to doing a bit less of it and hopefully having more fun with it after the race is over. I think the race will be a great experience though.
  • kgb6days
    Options
    We are already in Florida (Crystal River) relaxing and getting ready. We are enjoying the warm weather as it was 29 when we left home. I was sick all over new years with a mean GI bug that really wiped me out. Because of that I haven't run in almost 2 weeks. I've got very little reserve so am conserving all my energy. I did a short easy 1.6 miler this morning and it was tough at the beginning, but by the end I was ready to go. Now on to Disney!!!! Good luck everyone