Week 9 - 9/24-9/30

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
Welcome to Week 9 of the Couch to 5K - this is it folks! :noway: If you have stuck with the program schedule, this is the end, my friend - of the couch potato program, at least :smile:

In this program, you've learned to run - not just a 5K, but you took baby steps. 9 weeks ago running 8 1 minute intervals was killer. 5 weeks ago running for 5 minutes was unthinkable. 4 weeks ago, running for 20 minutes was intimidating. But you - yes, YOU! - you did it all. Congratulations - today, you can't doubt it; YOU are a runner!

This week, the workout is a 5 minute warmup walk followed by running for 30 minutes. But I think that's less important than answering the question - what are you doing next week? You have given yourself a gift of immeasurable worth these past two months; you have decided you were worth it, that you could learn to run and that you would give yourself the gift of doing so. Now that the program is over, how are you going to use that gift? Some of us have signed up for and run 5Ks already, and that's fantastic. But races come and go - you're a runner now. What are you training for next?

Replies

• Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I've done 2 of the three workouts this week and I am SUPER proud of myself!! I never referred to myself as a runner before this, but now I am practicing telling myself that that is exactly what I am. Every time I have met my running goal I get to the end and feel like a rock star! Thanks for all of your support through this journey - I will definitely keep running!
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    *stares* I think I see a runner, Cindy! :)

I did my week 9 day 3 today. I can't believe I made it through - I just feel...incredible. I ran for 39:45 today and just...I can't believe I did that. W5D3 was so intimidating, but today, I ran longer than the prescribed 30 minutes because...I felt like it!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Look at us, we're RUNNERS! :laugh:
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congrats to yall!!!!! I once again have not completed the program. I'm stuck at about 25 minutes and just not keeping up with it after week 7. I am doing the jingle bell 5K run in December so I need to get back into it.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Congrats to yall!!!!! I once again have not completed the program. I'm stuck at about 25 minutes and just not keeping up with it after week 7. I am doing the jingle bell 5K run in December so I need to get back into it.

The difference between 25 and 30 is totally in your head. If you can run 25 - you can run 30. Slow down a bit if you need to, but I promise - if you can do 25 you can do 30 :)
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options

The difference between 25 and 30 is totally in your head. If you can run 25 - you can run 30. Slow down a bit if you need to, but I promise - if you can do 25 you can do 30 :)

Thanks so much for the encouragement - just what i need. So true : ) - i think the whole thing is a "head game" at this point. I need to tell myself I'm a runner like ya'll have and then maybe that last 5 minutes will become the norm : )
  • MGMum
    MGMum Posts: 29
    Options
    cmecme, she's right! You can absolutely do this. I can't run 5k in 30 minutes, but I can in approx 35, so I usually run 35 minutes. Today I only ran 3.5k because it started pouring and with the recent temperature changes I didn't want to be in the rain that long because I don't want to get sick. I didn't quit, I just shortened my route a bit. I'll go again on Thursday. I wasn't expecting to be able to run on Thursday but due to a change in my schedule, now I can, so I'll get two runs in on my days off so I don't feel bad about cutting today a bit short.

And as far as the program goes, after week 7 day 3, I just ran 35 minutes so I could do the whole 5k. I didn't finish the rest of the program as it was laid out.