Dress Advice!!!

Options
I am going dress shopping in two weeks! I have currently lost 12 lbs and a lot of inches.

BUT....I have a ways to go before my goal...well...about 15lbs.

With that said, when I"m ready to order, should I get the dress a size smaller and work into it for the fitting or should I just get it at my current size, and have it taken in??

Replies

• droogievesch
    Options
    I ordered mine in the size I measured out at. That way, if **** hits the fan I know I have a dress that fits. I figured either way I would need to do alterations to get my "perfect fit" and my bridal salon charges a flat fee for side seems (so it doesn't matter if it's taken in 1/2" or 2"). I also wanted it to be a little big because I am requesting all my "scraps" from alterations to tie my bouquet, make my headpiece, give a swatch to the cake lady so she can custom make the cake to match my dress, etc.
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing!! I'm trying to put off buying a dress as long as I can because I need to get in shape!!!
  • madelongrin
    madelongrin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I bought mine a size smaller which made me even more determined to lose weight as it means you have to! I am getting married in just over 5 weeks and I now fit into the size smaller but might even need that taking in as well. Will see at my final fitting on the 15th of October.

I am not far off where you started in terms of total weight loss. I have loss 25lbs in total and am aiming to get to around 28/29lbs total loss. If you order a size smaller, it means that you won't change the shape of the dress too much either. I have been told before that if you reduce a dress in size too much it will actually affect the way it looks. To be fair, reducing it by one size should be absolutely fine and quite normal but if it's 2 sizes or more, it'll make a difference.

Entirely up to you but I found it motivating!!

Good Luck! :-)
  • droogievesch
    Options
    Hi!

I bought mine a size smaller which made me even more determined to lose weight as it means you have to! I am getting married in just over 5 weeks and I now fit into the size smaller but might even need that taking in as well. Will see at my final fitting on the 15th of October.

I am not far off where you started in terms of total weight loss. I have loss 25lbs in total and am aiming to get to around 28/29lbs total loss. If you order a size smaller, it means that you won't change the shape of the dress too much either. I have been told before that if you reduce a dress in size too much it will actually affect the way it looks. To be fair, reducing it by one size should be absolutely fine and quite normal but if it's 2 sizes or more, it'll make a difference.

Entirely up to you but I found it motivating!!

Good Luck! :-)

It depends on the designer and the design of the dress. The bridal boutique I went to can alter my dress 4 sizes without losing the look/shape of the dress. However, they've been doing all their own alterations for 80 years vs. sending them to a different company. It's definitely one thing to consider. When I went to David's Bridal they said they could only alter down 2 sizes, but they also ship their alterations out vs. doing them in the building. Don't be afraid to ask about alterations when you go. It's much easier to alter down than alter up. Talk to your bridal consultant when you shop and ask them what they recommend. They see hundreds of girls come in and get dresses; I'm sure they could tell you the odds of people who ordered down and didn't make it into their dream dress and had to get a different one at the last minute (check Craigslist too for this, many "It didn't fit" dresses are up for sale in my area). With all the stress of everything else going on planning a wedding, don't make the worry of, "Will my dress fit?!" make it onto the list.
  • ssaldana05
    Options
    Hey all! So I went...I saw...annnnnndd......ordered one size smaller. The consultant was great and she said I'm not far from the size. She said honestly at the rate I was going (I shared with her my progress) that 5 -7lbs makes a huge difference. So, with that I said sign me up and I think I can definitely make that goal by the time my dress comes in 6 - 7 months! Even 5 lbs a month would get me to that goal!
  • jessababy22
    Options
    This was the perfect post I needed! I'm going dress shopping in two weeks and was wondering the same thing!!!! I guess I'm just going to have to have that conversation with the consultant :)
  • Frag_Bunny
    Frag_Bunny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress in somewhat my size. I fit the sample size of my dress pretty good and my mom and moh thought so as well. When the consultant took my measurements though my hips and waist were the sample size (a size 14) but my chest measurement said I needed a size 18. I ended up ordering the sample size and plan on just toning up my upper body...plus boobs can be smooshed up and together on the big day ;) When the consultant takes your measurement see what part of your body fits what size. If your hips and waist say you are one size and you KNOW you have a hard time losing weight there, dont put the pressure on yourself of buying a size smaller...especially if you are at the upper end of the size scale. If you are at the lower end of the measurement range and are sure you can target that area, go for it.
  • jaclyndanette
    Options
    I also bought the dress in my current size. I figured it's better to have too much material than not enough! And, like mentioned, if something happens and I DONT lose the weight I want, then at least I know my dress with fit. Also, mine is a corset back, so that makes me feel a little better as well!
  • MrsSimmons1
    Options
    I went dress browsing about 2 wks ago. The lady that helped me said that since I'm planning to lose 30lbs, it's best if I wait til March to purchase the gown at the size I am then. If I'm still not at my desired weight by March, she told me to purchase the gown anyway. And if I continue to lose weight, they will take the dress in (alterations) just as long as I bring the dress in 2-3 months before the wedding date. Good luck!!