Meeting New People

Hey there. I've been a fairly reserved person most of my life and typically get overwhelmed in super crowded places. So I was wondering... are there were any fellow MFPers out there in the same boat and, if so, what you do to meet new (decent) people? Online dating sites haven't really been a success. So far just druggies and crazies, and not the good kind of crazy. So, I'm hoping there's something else out there for guys like me!

Let me know if you have any advice :embarassed:

Replies

• Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    Been there, done that...

I think one question is what your locality even has to offer. In Columbus, we have a gay section of town with plenty of establishments for just about any taste. Of course, most just winds up at the plethora of bars/clubs, but there are a few places with much more relaxed atmospheres, especially during the day.

Online is definitely a huge hit and miss...
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Oh, I'm the same way. I have found the most effective way to meet people is incidentally, while you pursue other interests. Like for me: fitness, knitting and crafting, gluten free / celiac communities, nerdy sci fi and fantasy people who like stuff like Doctor Who / Torchwood. Whatever you're into that takes you into a social setting. It makes it a little easier for the socially reserved because you can focus first on mutual interests. If you don't have any interests that lead you in the direction of finding potential partners, maybe join a local activism group that matters to you?