What do you eat?

Options
Hi, I am pending Gastric Sleeve Surgery in November 2012. I need some 'sleever' friends. I would like to learn from you.

I am new to MFP and could you please tell me how to 'add' friends.

Thank you,
SandyFromNJ :smile:

Replies

• sarahjayne823
    sarahjayne823 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I eat what everyone else eats, just much less of it. Menu for today: B: 1 sausage patty, 1 scrambled egg with picante sauce AM Snack: chobani yogurt Lunch: 1 cup chili PM snack: 1 string cheese and a pear. My eating got way behind today, so will probably not eat dinner. Maybe just a glass of milk.

Protein first, then fruits/veggies, and then, if you have room, carbs. and LOTS of water!!!

I added you as a friend. Take a look at my daily log each day to get a better idea.

Good luck!
  • SandyFromNJ
    SandyFromNJ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sarah. My tentitive date for surgery is November 5th. I should find out for sure, this week. :)

My doc does not have a pre-surgery diet? Did you diet before surgery?

SandyfromNJ
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi, at 15 months out from surgery I too can eat everything. I stick to 1,000 to 1,200 calories per day and your surgeon should give you how much protein per day. Mine is 70-80 grams a day. Like Sarah said, eat protein first and then fruits and veggies. I really get very little in carbs since there really isn't a lot of room left in the stomach after eating the protein, fruits/veggies. You can add me as a friend and look at my food log if you want to see what I eat daily. There are things I haven't added back into my diet because I know they are foods I can't stop eating. The dieticians call them trigger foods. For me it's ice cream in any form and chips (flavored are the worst, but I like the plain ones too). So I choose not to add them back in.

Most of us had a presurgery diet. My surgeon said it was to shrink the liver to make it easier to work around during surgery. Losing 20 pounds just makes it easier for the surgeon.
  • donna_l_49
    donna_l_49 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had to go on a 2 week liquid diet before surgery. It wasn't easy but I'm glad I did it. I'm almost 5 weeks out from my surgery and I'm still eating mushies food for the most part. I have a couple of protien shakes and and a egg or some tuna or soup (very small amount) for lunch and dinner. I'm averaging between 500-600 calories a day.
  • tvaddict101
    tvaddict101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 2 1/2 years out of surgery and I, too, still mostly eat protein and aim for 70+ grams a day.
    Today I have eaten:
    - a protein shake for breakfast (with instant coffee powder in it - I can't usually fit in the shake as well as a cup of coffee, so I combine them to get the caffeine!)
    - a small can of tuna with diced jalapenos, a small amount of mayo and a chopped hard boiled egg. This was a bit much all at once, so I ate about 2/3 at lunch and the rest as an afternoon snack. (I do get hungry this far out from surgery, so I snack, but I try not to make it too frequent).
    For dinner, I'll have something like an omelette (1 egg and some feta and a tiny bit of spinach or something) or meatballs with tomato sauce (about 1/2 a cup of meatball/s). I'll probably also have about 10 almonds and maybe part of a protein bar as a snack after dinner. Never lost that habit :(

I don't tolerate things like bread/potatoes/pumpkin etc very well at all - if I eat them I can't fit much else in. I don't even try to eat pasta anymore after a piece of penne got uncomfortably jammed about 6mths post-surgery! I do gain weight if I eat carbs or I eat too frequently (I can eat some carbs quite easily eg crackers and cake and i can eat quite a bit of these things at once. Not ideal!).

Hope that's helpful!
  • sarahjayne823
    sarahjayne823 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sandy, yes, I did a pre-op diet. I actually had to lose weight to even qualify for the surgery, according to my insurance company. So, I did a modified-liquid diet for about 6 weeks to drop some weight, and because of that, my surgeon only made me do a 7 day liquid diet pre-op. I dropped 35 lbs pre-surgery.

Yeah, your surgery date is coming up soon! Good luck! I'll be thinking about you on that date.