Form or weight?

Options
I am increasing weight, but I keep losing my form I think because the weight is too heavy and feel I have to drop back the weight to keep the form. But I seem to be going in a bit of a circle!

Whats the most important - form or weight? How can I get out of this circle?

Thanks

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Well, you'll get more out of your reps if your form is controlled and sweet, but when you're maxing out, or in your top percentages and tired, form wont always be perfect. In time, both should improve. When you're training you shouldnt always be operating in a rep scheme where form goes out the window, you should be doing some work, somewhere thats light and based on form and speed
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well, good question and I hate to say both. But, how you get out of this cycle I say something close to Foxy you may want to look at your rep range and try to back off a few reps and focus on form with the desired weight. For example, if you shooting for 5 reps maybe do 3 with good form and try to do 2 or 3 sets with good form. The form is important because it can help prevent injuries. But, when you are trying to max out you have to push through it but, try at all cost to get form right because a injury will delay your progess even further.
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Do you want to bench 400 or just look like you can bench 400? Ultra strict form isn't really natural and really limits the amount of weight you can use. However, it hits the target muscle longer (bigger muscles). Loose form, where you allow your upper body to move is more natural and you can generate more force (stronger).
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't normally pay too much attention to the weight unless I'm shooting for pb's. Have a look at your reps for each set too. I normally aim for 3x8, and want to be sure that the weight is heavy enough to be really having to dig deep on the last few.
    If you look at the likes of Kai Greene, he swears by focusing on form to get the most out of each muscle group. But then most people aren't Mr Olympia!!! Haha
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    FORM. Remember that anything done in bad form will lead to injury & I assume you don't want that. Aside from that you won't be able to maximize your workouts either.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The more proper form is drilled into your natural patterns the less of a problem it will be when you hit heavier weights. Are you going to die if you pull with a slightly rounded upper back? Very unlikely. Now if you fish hook a deadlift then you are probably in for a world of hurt. If you are having a problem, maybe hit some heavier sets first then go higher reps with lower weight to drill in proper form. If your goal is bodybuilding then the weight is secondary to proper use of the intended muscle(s).
  • alexsmith1993
    alexsmith1993 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Form. Unless you're keen for injuries.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I sacrificed form for weight. Now I'm back to where I was 6 months ago...
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    thanks for all your advice - it seems a fine line between adding enough weight to see some progression and continually overloading your muscles and also keeping form to make sure your working the muscles you want and to maximum intensity
  • stphnstevey
    Options

I sacrificed form for weight. Now I'm back to where I was 6 months ago...

Joke or serious?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I am increasing weight, but I keep losing my form I think because the weight is too heavy and feel I have to drop back the weight to keep the form. But I seem to be going in a bit of a circle!

Thanks

Back down and try to do the lesser weight for more reps with good form.(3-4 reps maybe?) Then go back and revisit your higher weight and try to get 1-2 with good form. Or get a good spotter to assist you with good form vs trying to cheat out one more with bad form.
  • Puzz1e
    Options
    Always form until your nervous system is fully trained in the required recruitment patterns. Once the form becomes 'second nature', you will see the strength gains.
  • tyraun_b
    Options
    start at a weight that you can get anywhere from 8-12 reps for 3 sets. 12 the first, 10 the second and 8 on the third. after completing all three sets, if you feel like you could have done more; increase the weight by 5% next time you perform that exercise. after a little bit of trial and error you'll find a weight that will not only challenge you, but i think you will also know where your sticking point is. after a while you'll find that you're form will have gotten better. always and i mean always pay attention to your form. when in doubt ask questions. just a little advice...doesn't mean it's the right solution. hope you're making gains either way.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Thanks

If you are looking into producing bodybuilding results then form is very important. In fact it is more important than weight itself. The mind and muscle connection and the contraction that happens when your muscle is exhausted is very important. Maxing out is nothing but a recreational activity to a bodybuilder and is more involving in within the nervous system. Maxing out to a power lifter is important. If you are looking to build strength while building muscle then make sure you lift weight that is strong enough for you to properly perform a rep for at least 3-4 reps with good form.