Rope Climbs

Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Holy hell - attempted my first rope climb to the ceiling this morning, I managed to get 50% up which I thought was pretty good but my hands are now sooo sore. Burning!
Any suggestions on how I can toughen them up or should I just suck it up and hope they toughen by themselves?

Replies

• dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Perhaps you're not supporting your weight on your feet?

Ideally, grab the rope with straight arms, and pull your knees to your elbows. (It's an ABS exercise really)

Get you feet locked on the rope anyway you've been trained how, and now you could theoretically rest your hands because they're barely holding on.

Then drive up from the legs, rather than pull up with the hands.

Hope this helps.
  • No advice but awesome job!!!!
  • I agree with pp, you should be using your legs/core more than your arms. My legs are sore after rope climbs, but not usually my hands.
  • Mummyadams
    This morning I reached one of my goals which was a rope climb to the top (15 foot) and I did 2! Yeah go me!
    it's all in the legs!
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Congrats!! That's one of my goals as well:

1. Rope climb
    2. Muscle-up
    3. HSPU

I started CF in August when I started MFP, so hopefully by next august these will be marked off the list.
  • Mummyadams
    Thanks! Rope climbs are actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. As long as you wrap the rope around around your lower leg and anchor it with other foot, using your legs to 'push' you up - unless you have awesome upper body strenght ...