Yoga

Options
Hi everyone,

Starting a Yoga class tonight, I've been working out at the gym, elliptical, weights, swimming, I haven't tried spinning yet, but thought Yoga might be a nice way to change things up. The classes are not at my local gym (although they have them) but I wanted to try it out and get my hubby a little more active. Anyone have thoughts on Yoga? Like it? Loathe it? Will it compliment my cardio and weights appropriately?

Hope you are all doing well,

-Rick

Replies

• Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've heard that yoga is good for developing flexibility. If you lift a lot of weights it can help counteract the shortening of muscles that can reduce your range of motion. Swimming probably helps you with that too. It isn't cardio, but stretching the muscles in your torso, in addition to the breathing exercises, can help you take in a fuller breath, and that would help with cardio.

I don't do yoga myself. I'm into tai chi, but my Sifu considers yoga to be a complimentary art. Our stretching series and chi gong does bear some resemblance to yoga.

The only cautions I can think of is to make sure you are comfortable with your instructor. Doing a pose too quickly or incorrectly might cause you to tear something. Keep it slow and gentle.
  • rmiller3455
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I loved Tai Chi when I took it years ago, but it is difficult to find an instructor here. I only signed up for 4 classes, so I thought I would see how it goes. I tend to live a hectic, busy life, and hope Yoga will help center me and help me find calmness too. I'm really bad at finding time to just sit still.

I'll keep you posted, thanks so much for the info, and wish me luck!
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yoga is amazing. It will give you some strength and some cardio and a lot of flexibility. In my experience doing a lot of running or weightlifting decreases flexibility unless you do some nice deep stretching, which I am terrible about doing before and after my workouts. I did yoga for probably 10 years, off and on. It's so great if you can afford it!

Kind of like any class, there could be any level of rapport between you and your instructor, so if you don't like the vibe of the class, try a different one with a different person. For example some yoga classes will have a really intense "hippy vibe" that you may or may not like, vs. others that are just about getting into a position and doing the breathing that goes with it, without having to unfold the lotus of your heart to a new age soundtrack. Some classes might focus more on single positions and others more on flowing from one position to another.

Be careful not to push yourself too far in any one position. It should feel like a really amazing stretch like you might do in the morning before you get out of bed. I've never even kinda injured myself in a yoga class, but in a fencing class I had an instructor push me too hard into a stretch which ended up leaving me with a back injury. So, you can get hurt doing stretches, even though there is no impact.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • pocketmel
    Options
    In my experience, yoga is a great work out. Firstly there are may varieties of yoga- from mild to intense. I think you will enjoy it especially if you lead a hectic life. You might be in for a surprise about the impact it might have on your body as much as your mind. Goodluck and enjoy it. If you don't like the instructor or class definately find another-it's worth it!
  • rmiller3455
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all of the great comments and suggestions. My first night went really well, I really enjoyed the class. The instructor was great and I really liked him. I felt great afterwards and could really feel I was utilizing some muscles that may be neglected during a "regular" workout. It was nice to be calm and quiet for an hour...it's funny when Ellen Degeneres says it's sad when we "pay for silence" but it's so true! LOL.

I'm looking forward to continuing, I think I am really going to enjoy the class.

Have a great week everyone!

-Rick
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi RIck -

sorry for the delayed reply, but when it comes to yoga i have to admit I LOVE IT!

When I was "too big" for the gym I went to ashtanga yoga at a local center here in Liverpool and I swear I never missed a class for about 6 months. It was easily the most amazing thing i've done and i do feel that the positive mental aspect of it is as good for me as the actual classes themselves.
    I'm actually starting a "hot and healthy" yoga class next monday where they turn up the heating to help get you sweating more so that yuo loose a bit more weight :) I'll let you know how I get on!! :)

hope you enjoyed the class when you went.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I recently started adding a little bit of yoga to my routine. I tried doing the Sun Salutation and discovered that I'm horrible at it. So my next goal is to stop being horrible at it. I do ok with the tai chi stretches, and some of those are fairly intense. (Even experienced yoga people have said so.) I guess I'm just moving my body in a different way then. Not all stretches work the same way apparently.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! Now that it's gotten colder out I've been doing a lot of Bikram yoga, which is done in a really hot room. For some reason there are a lot more men in the Bikram classes than other yoga classes I've done. Maybe it is seen as more macho? The heat makes it really tough, but I believe that putting our bodies under tremendous stress in a controlled environment makes it easier to deal with stressors that pop up unexpectedly in our lives.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Well if my user name isn't a give away :wink: , I do almost exclusively yoga! I do dance, but yoga is my main form of "exercise!" I do heated Vinyasa Flow and love it! I think that all shapes, sizes, ages and genders can do some form of yoga. I've built up over 2 years, and my body has changed in ways I never thought it could(I'm in my 40's and have had 3 kids).Plus, it is better than an anti-depressant for me...I feel so much better in all areas when I am done :drinker: Good luck to you.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just started yoga for balance and strength and I absolutely love it!
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have to admit - HUGE yoga fan! I used to do ashtanga yoga for 3 hours a week over 2 sessions in a class not far from work. Admittedly it was intermitted because of work commitments. But on Monday I'm going to a "hot and healthy yoga" class. It's designed to help with getting into deeper streches and the heat apparently helps with weight loss so I'm all up for it! Will let you know how I get on Monday!!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    My running friends swear by yoga for stretching, so I finally gave it a shot. Was quite embarrassed being the only man in a class full of women, but I eventually got over that.

I've noticed a huge difference in my balance, flexibility, breathing (while running) and my state of mind since starting yoga. Been doing almost a year now and LOVE IT.