anyone lose appetite in 1st trimester?

Options
im only 5 weeks regnant but for last few days i havent wanted to eat at all and have had to force myself to have meals, iv gone off everything and even smelling food makes me feel full! i have been extra thirsty tho and drinking tons of water!

did anyone else go through this?

Replies

• BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I've gone through it intermittently through the entire pregnancy. Honestly, I just left it as it was and tried to stay hydrated. Alot of women don't eat during the 1st because morning sickness is so bad. But so long as my weekly calories were good, I didn't stress over a couple of days of under eating. Usually in a day or 2 I'd over eat anyways.

If you're worried about it, try eating some high calorie, nutrient rich foods. Nuts and but butters are a good option, as well as avocados.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Last time I was pregnant I didn't have morning sickness but had food aversions in the first trimester. I ate lots of carbs - a bagel and cream cheese was a breakfast staple. (I also was overweight when I got pregnant and gained way more than I should have.)

This time I am 6w2d and have just had random nausea (not vomiting) and food aversions hit me. Pretty much yesterday. I was starving the first half of last week and the previous week and could not eat enough. Today I feel like I don't want to eat at all and forced myself to choke down my breakfast, which was hard. I am worried that food aversions are starting to kick in, since I really hated it last time.

Just try to eat "easy" foods - soft stuff, nothing too hard to chew up - so that you get some nutrition. Even a bagel and cream cheese beats not eating at all.

Glad you are still happy to drink water, though! For me that has allowed me (so far) to stave off the bad headaches I got the first time around. Whenever I feel one coming on, I make sure I drink more water.

I hope you feel better, though!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Last time I was pregnant I didn't have morning sickness but had food aversions in the first trimester. I ate lots of carbs - a bagel and cream cheese was a breakfast staple. (I also was overweight when I got pregnant and gained way more than I should have.)

This time I am 6w2d and have just had random nausea (not vomiting) and food aversions hit me. Pretty much yesterday. I was starving the first half of last week and the previous week and could not eat enough. Today I feel like I don't want to eat at all and forced myself to choke down my breakfast, which was hard. I am worried that food aversions are starting to kick in, since I really hated it last time.

Just try to eat "easy" foods - soft stuff, nothing too hard to chew up - so that you get some nutrition. Even a bagel and cream cheese beats not eating at all.

Glad you are still happy to drink water, though! For me that has allowed me (so far) to stave off the bad headaches I got the first time around. Whenever I feel one coming on, I make sure I drink more water.

I hope you feel better, though!

Oh, and fruit usually goes down well, at least in my experience. I can't think of any fruits, except maybe strong-tasting ones like pineapple or grapefruit, that don't sound tasty.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My first trimester--when "morning sickness" hit, the only things I wanted to eat were white or tan--bagel and cream cheese (yes!), mashed potatoes, chicken nuggets, vanilla milkshakes, saltines, and ginger ale. Thankfully, after the first trimester, I was able to go back to eating healthy varied color food. My only long-lasting food aversion is to garlic. The smell makes me so sick. And it's funny because pre-pregnancy I loved it. I joke that I'm going to give birth to a vampire.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my first child I had no appetite for the first 6 months plus I was really sick the only thing I could keep down was ice cream if I ate it at night. It was so bad I couldn't even take the prenatal vitamins because they came back up. Even saltines didn't help. If it is still a problem I would talk to your doctor. I could afford to lose some weight in the beginning of that pregnancy not everyone is the same though.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of my appetite at the end of my first trimester for about two weeks. I had a hard time getting in enough and had to end up drinking a lot of my calories (whole milk, orange juice, etc.). I agree with others. Fruit and light food is best to get some nutrition but not weigh your tummy down.
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i only had an appetite for one thing at a time. like somedays all i felt like eating was bread or nothing but fruit. i also could not seem to drink water (normally i guzzle it). so i drank low cal gatorade. on the days i did not feel like really eating i just stuck to bland easy to digest things - like the other girls mentioned. you just can't force it sometimes.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I completely lost my appetite during the 1st trimester. I had nausea but no vomiting but food just sounded generally awful to me. I ate a lot of fruit, especially nectarines and cantelope, and drank a lot of water and I just ate pretty bland food. I ate crackers and I was lucky that I could keep down whole foods like rice and fish but nothing tasted good. And eating was generally a chore. I'm trying to remember what I ate and I can't probably because my pregnancy brain is pretty bad right now.

Something that really helped me was ICE cold water, and low calorie lemonade from Trader Joe's. It was very lemony and tart and I drank a lot of that during the first couple of months.

My appetite came back at around 11 weeks and I'm 17weeks now and I still get nauseous every now and then but pretty much my appetite has returned to normal. I'm waiting for it go to full out Hulk hunger now.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    i only had an appetite for one thing at a time. like somedays all i felt like eating was bread or nothing but fruit. i also could not seem to drink water (normally i guzzle it). so i drank low cal gatorade. on the days i did not feel like really eating i just stuck to bland easy to digest things - like the other girls mentioned. you just can't force it sometimes.

Ohhh, that G2 stuff is good! I should try that. I need the electrolytes anyway (my dad recommended I drink Gatorade for electrolytes because I have low blood pressure and get light-headed/head rushes easily). Thanks for the idea!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I completely lost my appetite during the 1st trimester. I had nausea but no vomiting but food just sounded generally awful to me. I ate a lot of fruit, especially nectarines and cantelope, and drank a lot of water and I just ate pretty bland food. I ate crackers and I was lucky that I could keep down whole foods like rice and fish but nothing tasted good. And eating was generally a chore. I'm trying to remember what I ate and I can't probably because my pregnancy brain is pretty bad right now.

Something that really helped me was ICE cold water, and low calorie lemonade from Trader Joe's. It was very lemony and tart and I drank a lot of that during the first couple of months.

My appetite came back at around 11 weeks and I'm 17weeks now and I still get nauseous every now and then but pretty much my appetite has returned to normal. I'm waiting for it go to full out Hulk hunger now.

I know, I am wondering if I am going to have a constant stream of ice cream containers in and out of my freezer like last time... then again, that's probably a huge part of why I gained so much weight with my last pregnancy! I think by about 15 weeks I felt normal again but still had certain food aversions that lingered from the first trimester.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for the recommendation on the Trader Joe's light lemonade. Our Trader Joe's is way out of my way, but my sister works near it and goes often. Perhaps I can have her pick some up for me :smile:
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    im only 5 weeks yet like u have said i have no desire to eat, iv stopped feeling hungry and when i do eat i get full really fast! iv been sticking to bland foods and lots of cup a soup! hopefully i will go back to normal soon im not too worried tho as same happened in previous pregnancies i just tend to lose weight in 1st trimester!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I especially couldn't eat any kind of meat. That faded after my first trimester.

Also, my sister told me she was the same way with meat and she had a girl (I am having a girl, too). Not sure if that means anything but I can always assume, LOL.