Gluten Free with not a gluten free family

Options
Hi, everyone.
I am gluten free but my family is not. For those of you who are in this same situation, what do you do for meal times, dinner specifically? Any recipes that can please everyone? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I grill for everyone. We do grilled chicken, beef or pork. We eat a lot of rice...everyone seems to love it. Veggies are easy to go gluten free on and so are baked potatoes. Basically, think of the things that everyone loves to eat and make it healthy.
  • JDwashere
    JDwashere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I shop a lot at oriental stores for rice noodles and the family seems to like those better anyway :) I will though at times just make a pot of mac and cheese for the kids to go along with veggies and a meat product, I just don't eat the mac and cheese. You would be surprised though how many companies are jumping on the gluten free craze, Zatarain's labels gluten free now for example (I use them the most). I have even seen Hamburger Helper labeling gluten free, hopefully we will see more of this trend (fingers crossed).
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Half of us are GF, my husband and youngest son are not.

Main meals are totally GF. It's easier and cheaper that way.

i.e. tonite is pork chops in the crock pot, with carrots, potatoes, red & green peppers, and onions. I'll make some rice to go with it. If the husband wants bread and butter, he'll have some (but I'll probably give him a dirty look, lol). I don't believe that bread needs to be with EVERY meal, and I try very hard to stay away from processed food anyway. I'm not so great at it, but I try, lol.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I make everything gluten free here even though not everyone in my family is. If they eat gluten outside our home then that's up to them but I can't risk contaminating my super sensitive kid so they can have a noodle. Fortunately they all understand and agree with this and I take great pains to make sure the food we're eating is tasty regardless of what is or isn't in it. My son is gluten free and has to bring special foods on his Boy Scout trips instead of eating with the rest of the troop. He doesn't feel bad about it though because he's usually eating something better than they are and they all wish they could have some. :) He actually brags about being glad he can eat gluten free and not eat the stuff they take. He's almost thirteen and knows that food can be really good even without gluten and it can be really nasty even with it. :)
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free, and my daughter is right now while we test for an intolerance, but my other 2 kids and my husband aren't. We still have bread/pasta/crackers etc in the house for the people who aren't GF.

We have alot of intolerances/allergies in our house, and I plan dinner around all of them. I can usually never get a meal where everyone can eat everything, but we can all eat the majority of the meal, or I"ll make the odd person out something else if I need too. Usually myself. Trying to make it all GF too would drive me insane. I don't use the toaster, or the margarine, mayo etc. that the others use for their bread/bagels etc so thats not a worry for us.

*We work around an intolerance to meat, eggs, dairy, soy, Celiac disease, peanut allergies, tree nut allergies and an oversensitivity to oils/grease. Planning dinner is fun.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Sounds like us - varying members gluten free/grain free, vegetarian/vegan, allergies to nuts, pineapple, oranges, and various others. Add in extended family, and we've got soy, chocolate, some of the oils, etc. Then there's my friend that sometimes attends meal-centric church activities with me who can't have eggs, apples, peppercorn, peppers, beans, lentils, etc.

*We work around an intolerance to meat, eggs, dairy, soy, Celiac disease, peanut allergies, tree nut allergies and an oversensitivity to oils/grease. Planning dinner is fun.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, chicken, veggies, potatoes, rice are all good things to make for everyone -- gluten-free or not! Desert, now that's a hard one -- ice cream (if there's no dairy intolerance) and some chocolates are all I can think of. Beware and read ingredients -- my husband read the ingredients for Godiva chocolate, previously one of our favorites and found it includes wheat; so bye bye Godiva, at least for me.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    We are another family with numerous food intolerances etc. I'm a coeliac but also can not have dairy, eggs and soya. Two of the kids have milk intolerances and hubby cant have gluten/ dairy either. On top I also have a son with ASD who would love to live of pizza.

Most of the main meals I cook are gluten free but we have normal bread etc in the house. I have separate marg from the kids etc to stop cross contamination.
  • lornaheron
    Options
    My husband isn't GF, but he will eat anything i put in front of him. I do still make him normal gravy though, I use kallo cubes with corn flour for myself. I have my diary open if you want ot look at some of the things i eat. It's not so hard to go GF, you can usually adapt recipes to suit. The one thing i miss though , is crusty bread.