Options
Hi, I only took up cycling this year as I need to lose about 50lbs, so I set myself a target in the summer of the Norwich 50 mile ride, which I completed in about 3h.35m so averaged over 14.5mph, and was really happy with that.
I also lost a stone in the lead up, however afterwards with no target I've slacked off on the training and got back into some old habits (choc bars etc) so need to pick it up again, targets seem to work so I have decided from 1 Oct to lift the effort a bit and applied for entry into the Inaugural Ride London 100. Its the first official london marathon style cycling event next August and is anticipated to have approx 20,000 people ride the Olympic road race route This is gonna be tough as I do struggle with any kind of hill, and apparently, as Mark Cavendish can vouch for, Box Hill on the course is quite a climb, and he weighs about 6 stone less than me! So I have joined this group, as I've read some of the posts and there are some pretty inspirational people on here.
I've also taken up some kind of October Cycling challenge which someone posted as a topic which looks fun and set myself an intial target to ride 100 miles this month, hopefully will exceed that but a start is a start and 12.5 miles so far all in the dark as the nights have drawn in now.
I currently only have about 4 connections/friends on MFP so would appreciate any adds from you guys as like minded people.
Cheers

Replies

• KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi Seany69, I have the pleasure of being the first to welcome you aboard! :smile:

3hrs35m for 50 miles in your first year of riding, that's pretty impressive!

The Inaugural Ride London sounds like a pretty good target to aim for, and you've got plenty of time to train for those hills!

There are loads of great people on these forums, and there's always loads of great tips and advice flying around, check back regularly!

May the tail wind be with you! :smile:

Edited to add - Also check out the group Century Plus Cycling, there's always loads of great challenges in there to keep you on your toes...
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Also check out the group Century Plus Cycling, there's always loads of great challenges in there to keep you on your toes...

+1 :smile:

Welcome :wink:
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the peleton!

Wish we had a great ride like that around here. Instead it's the every weekend "try not to get run off the road or shot by rednecks backwoods challenge." But it's still fun!

Rubber side down!
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sean, my story is similar to yours with just taking up cycling (more seriously)this year. Mainly commuting, but find the challenging really good motivation.

Friend invite to follow shortly.
  • sherwinnelson
    sherwinnelson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Sean and welcome. I committed to cycling this year. I also did my first challenge ride of 50 hilly miles. I still do not find any joy in climbing. I plan to train for my first century in 2013. I am not getting in as many rides as I would like these days because we are losing the sun, but I am pretty consistent.

Best of luck to you!
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I started riding last year, after about a 20 yr layoff. (20 yrs ago I was exclusively MtB riding now I'm mostly road riding). I also set up several goals for this year. I found I was not aggresive enough as I met all of them by Aug. 1. Since then I've severely slacked off and my diet/training is suffering. I've since planned some aggressive goals for myself for the fall and spring. I hope they will help keep me dedicated to my plan. I will now be more careful about ensuring I have something on the horizon to work for.

Good luck with your plans and training. Keep us posted on your progress.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Hey Mate, welcome. Don't ride as much as I should and going into the snow season my rides are coming to an end. Challengers are they way to go as it keeps you goal focused. Enjoy the rides and make the most of it.