What's your winter routine?

Options
I was curious how many of you here switch to riding indoors for the winter or if you use the winter months to focus on another cardio activity?

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Once I get my head out of my *kitten*, the plan is to focus more on strength (5x5), but I'll still do indoor cycling ~ 3 days a week. I teach 2 spin classes a week, I either come early or stay after to do ~ 45-60 min of interval work.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ill be joining a gym to do a bit of conditioning over the winter but I will be getting in the miles still planning on getting in 200 a week up to Xmas (weather depending) and then 260 after up to March
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My winter route is my short summer route.

If the weather is really rubbish, then I revert to my Tacx Genius Turbo Trainer (or my Treadmill :noway: )
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym and I don't think cycling indoors would do it for me. I'm going to try to use my trusty MTB to still commute as often as possible (depending on after-work activities). Other than that I do a Zumba class, and I have kettlebells....really need to get those out again but I know the day after the first time back is gonna hurt!!!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Since I live where its 120 in the summer, most of my riding outdoors happen in the winter. I will be commuting to work 3 times a week with yoga and strength training the other 2 days, finally a long ride, mountain bike or hike on the weekend.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep i change!, i take my kangoo jumps to the indoor rec centre and run, its more intense but i love it!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I apply rule #5 and rule #9 ( http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ ), put the winter wheels on the roadbike with the Vittoria open pave evo cg's, strap the raceblades on if the forecast is for rain, and get my backside out there riding.

I mix things up and get out on the MTB and slide about in the mud and gloop as well - especially if it's gusty winds.

Only things that keep me inside and on the Tacx Bushido and Computerised training sessions are snow and fog.

Having said all this, I've also discovered my old rowing machine up in the loft, so I may well dig that back out, and get it set up again, just to mix things up for days off the bike...
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I move indoors for a three times per week interval sessions on trainers until the end of March- nice computer based setup where I go and we have coaches design the workouts to be progressive during each 8-10 week session. Will try to lead outdoor rides about 2 times per month on weekends to maintain bike handling skills but expect those to get blown out by weather at least a couple of times during the off season. Will likely add in some walking lower intensity workouts - for me, it is kind of important not to "burn out" by doing too much of the same thing all year long and getting tired of it.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    If it is not raining I can almost ride year round. I have cold weather gear and ride down to 32*F. I have a trainer set up downstairs in front of a TV and spin to Sweating Buckets type training DVD for inclement weather. But I try to work in weight training with my kettle bells and walk more.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Last year I rode through it and hopefully this year I intend to do the same!

I remember on some rides last year seeing -6 as I was walking out of the door.... Brrrrrr!! I have all the gear and I ride an Alu bike so there's no real reason to stop. I've had a pretty good year so far and I intend to build on that and make 2013 an even better year again! :smile:

I know people won't need reminding but Rule #5 & Rule #9 are all I think off when I need motivation.

We've had a wet summer, you never know maybe Winter will be a bit dryer?!

Ride safe :smile:
  • bethlikesbikes
    Options
    I'll ride outside as much as I can. I'll also ramp up my core and lower body work. Then once the new year hits I'll train for a race in the spring that I'm targeting, so I'll ride either inside or outside to do this.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    The winter months are the lonely months for riding outdoors. Nice, cold and desolate. My son Charlie and I will ride outdoors, and we'll laugh at all the empty bike paths. About 1 or 2 times a month, we'll see other morons out there, and we'll laugh at them.

We did gear up better for riding this year. My feet are finally skinny enough that I can where good Goretex riding shoes. This will be a welcome relief as last year, I road sandals throughout the winter with layers of wool socks. And, I can finally where water wicking material on my top half as well as my bottom half. Should be interesting to see how it goes.

If I get desperate, I'll use the trainer indoors or my rowing machine.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Well - as we're certainly getting "Autumnal" weather at least here, I thought I'd dig into the "cold bag" - it's looking like it's going to be an expensive time... Pretty much anything that I had that fitted me properly last winter is now WAY too big - I tried a couple of the l/s shirts and frankly, I looked like an unmade bed in them! About the only things that I have for winter that DO fit properly are items from the decade that taste forgot...

For instance... I've a LOVELY Assos thermal jersey, but it's incredibly yellow, with Assos's typically swiss wierd statement detailing of a (ewww) Pink and Kawasaki Green patch on one of the shoulders. What on Earth was I thinking! Fantastic jersey, fits great, warm, windtight and lovely to wear but there's no way on earth I'll be wearing that without at least another shirt over the top! There was also a wind-jacket by Agu which fit great - but as I removed it, the stitching around both arms gave way - I guess that 20+ years in storage had taken it's toll on the cotton :laugh:

I doubt I'm going to drop a size over this winter, so I guess it's time to look at some kit that'll hopefully last the full season - but not going the whole hog, and buying Castelli / Assos as hopefully next winter I'll be down from XXXL/TIR down to a more sensible XXL/XLG :laugh:
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Well - as we're certainly getting "Autumnal" weather at least here, I thought I'd dig into the "cold bag" - it's looking like it's going to be an expensive time... Pretty much anything that I had that fitted me properly last winter is now WAY too big - I tried a couple of the l/s shirts and frankly, I looked like an unmade bed in them! About the only things that I have for winter that DO fit properly are items from the decade that taste forgot...

For instance... I've a LOVELY Assos thermal jersey, but it's incredibly yellow, with Assos's typically swiss wierd statement detailing of a (ewww) Pink and Kawasaki Green patch on one of the shoulders. What on Earth was I thinking! Fantastic jersey, fits great, warm, windtight and lovely to wear but there's no way on earth I'll be wearing that without at least another shirt over the top! There was also a wind-jacket by Agu which fit great - but as I removed it, the stitching around both arms gave way - I guess that 20+ years in storage had taken it's toll on the cotton :laugh:

I doubt I'm going to drop a size over this winter, so I guess it's time to look at some kit that'll hopefully last the full season - but not going the whole hog, and buying Castelli / Assos as hopefully next winter I'll be down from XXXL/TIR down to a more sensible XXL/XLG :laugh:

Aldi has a winter cycling event on at the mo. I got some decent kit for the winter, but since it has not been really cold yet, I cannot honestly say that I've tried it out in anger yet.
  • sherwinnelson
    sherwinnelson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This will be my first winter, but I plan to ride. My biggest challenge is losing light. I will also increase my strength training and cross training. I am buying my cold weather gear as we speak. I am Georgia and I am told I should be able to keep going. I don't want to lose my skills.
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    On work days I ride my trainer, on my days off I cross-country ski or snowshoe. I also throw in sessions on my elliptical as a change of pace.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Interesting that the last post on this thread was in October. Anyone still out on the road these days? I rode to work today, but the commute home is dark and dangerous. I'm not too keen on riding in with rush-hour traffic in the inner city an hour after sunset. Sunset here is at 4:25pm or so.

I do see other brave souls out and about, but my technical skill level is not strong enough to out maneuver motorists, unfortunately.

Everyone please stay safe and enjoy your winter cycling!
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hi Real paris love...

I'm still riding on my daily commute. In a strange sense, I actually feel safer (touch wood/ cross fingers etc). There was a light dusting of frost on the ground these last few days and everyone seams to automatically slow down and take a bit more care. In addition I have loads of lights and reflective gear so I am lit up like a Christmas tree at the moment and I'm wrapped up in my compression underwear, cycling bib trousers, winter cycling jacket and overboots, which whilst keeping me warm also appears to zap the energy out of me. I'm also choosing a slightly longer route that only takes me on treated roads, so I'm hoping to be able to cycle right through winter in all but the worst of the weather.

Keep cycling, and stay safe.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Aldi has a winter cycling event on at the mo. I got some decent kit for the winter, but since it has not been really cold yet, I cannot honestly say that I've tried it out in anger yet.

I've got some Aldi gear & its great!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Swim: Twice a week
    Spin: Four times a week (if temperature is over 45 and no rain I will ride outside and not spin)
    Yoga: I try for everyday, usually don't make that
    Strength Train: 3 times a week

How does this differ from the rest of the year?

Swim: Once a week
    Ride outside: 5 times a week (If weather is particular bad I will spin)
    Yoga: See note above.
    Strength Train: 3 times a week