marathon recovery

Options
s35keith
s35keith Posts: 121 Member
Looking for any tips or suggestion about recovering from my first marathon. 4 Hours after the finish I am sore so help me if you can.

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no tips for you as I have never done a marathon, and probably never will. Just wanted to say congratulations - that is totally awesome!!!!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the run!!

I have never run a full marathon, but I have completed a couple of century rides and it is important to "'walk it off" after such an event. I mean, you really need to keep moving for a while to let the blood redistribute more evenly to the rest of the body. The rest of the day should be spent in active rest, meaning I'd get up every so often and just walk a little, notthing strenuous at all but keep the muscles limbered up. hope that helps a little.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Basic rule of thumb is no running one day for each mile raced. So, for a first time marathoner, you'll probably not want to do any running for about 3 weeks. You most definitely should try to walk some every day. 30 to 45 minutes. This will help the muscles recover faster. After a 5 days or so, you could even try riding a bike for a bit to help keep some of the fitness you have gained.

There is a really good chance that you will be the most sore two days after the race. Then, you should start to improve.

One tip. Walk backwards down the stairs. :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Basic rule of thumb is no running one day for each mile raced. So, for a first time marathoner, you'll probably not want to do any running for about 3 weeks. You most definitely should try to walk some every day. 30 to 45 minutes. This will help the muscles recover faster. After a 5 days or so, you could even try riding a bike for a bit to help keep some of the fitness you have gained.

There is a really good chance that you will be the most sore two days after the race. Then, you should start to improve.

I never heard about not running "one day for each mile raced". I run the very next day. It doesn't look very pretty but it's what I call a "run". hehe I dont jump right back into training hard. In fact, I avoid my crossing training and martial arts for about a week so I don't get injured. But as far as running, I try to run 75% of what I would normally do. I keep my pace slower and run a few less miles as well.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I never heard about not running "one day for each mile raced". I run the very next day. It doesn't look very pretty but it's what I call a "run". hehe I dont jump right back into training hard. In fact, I avoid my crossing training and martial arts for about a week so I don't get injured. But as far as running, I try to run 75% of what I would normally do. I keep my pace slower and run a few less miles as well.

It really depends upon your level of fitness. For a first time marathon runner, I would err on the side of caution, especially if the marathon was in the 4:30 or longer range. That's a lot of wear and tear on the legs.

Personally, I will take a couple days off, run a day, take a couple more off, run a day, then start back in with 5 days a week easy for a couple weeks before ramping back up to 6+ days per week. I will walk on each of those days off though.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Highly dependent on fitness level. My coach always says to at least get out for a mile to loosen up the legs (unless you are injured)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options

This sounds nutty to me. I can't imagine taking off an entire month after a race. Getting back in the swing of things - even if I'm not very fast or strong - helps control the inevitable chemical imbalance that a long hard race brings on. If I took 26 days off? I'd be the biggest emotional wreck on MFP (which would be quite a feat, indeed). For a me, a day or two off, then back into easy workouts - preferably cross training, like cycling, swimming, or yard work. Better to gut out a difficult first day back than deal with the emotional issues that are just waiting to happen.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

This sounds nutty to me. I can't imagine taking off an entire month after a race. Getting back in the swing of things - even if I'm not very fast or strong - helps control the inevitable chemical imbalance that a long hard race brings on. If I took 26 days off? I'd be the biggest emotional wreck on MFP (which would be quite a feat, indeed). For a me, a day or two off, then back into easy workouts - preferably cross training, like cycling, swimming, or yard work. Better to gut out a difficult first day back than deal with the emotional issues that are just waiting to happen.

Again, it all depends on your level of fitness and the break is only from running. Cross training of some kind is critical. Taking extended time off isn't that uncommon though. Legat is taking 5 weeks off right now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444032404578006274010745406.html
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Take a bath, get a massage, take advil, drink lots of water and keep moving! Great job and I wish you a quick recovery!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've had:

Compression tights - put these on as soon as you finish the race. Live in them for a day or two - including sleeping! I actually flew to Kazakhstan from the UK the day after my first / only Marathon and I wore them in the plane. Wasn't as bad as you'd think!

Ice bath - or at least a cold bath. The best way to do this is to run the bath (cold tap only!) with you sitting in it so you don't get the shock of getting into the cold water in one go. I know people who do this in their compression tights!!! Makes an instant difference. I do this after every stressful run now.
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for all the great advice. I used parts of alot of it . Compression socks for the 4 hour drive home ice baths and today being my day 5 post race I need to get out on my bike for a ride. And by the way I finished my marathon. and I am planning to correct most of my mistakes on my NEXT one. Thanks again