12-13 ski season!

Options
I know I'm only 3-4 months early, but who's already looking forward to the season? I know I am! :happy:

Replies

• dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Already have been watching my videos, practicing in the foam pit, and riding my freebord. I sure hope we get more snow this season though. I live in IA and last year we got a grand total of 4 inches where I live. A typical winter is several feet over the winter. No more man made snow please!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Haven't pulled out my videos and books yet but will soon.

I ski in NH. It was TOUGH as heck being out on conditions this year (and for 35 days to boot!)

The man made snow was like trail by fire for my new skis and frequently beat my legs.
  • dellrio
    Options
    I work at a ski area on the weekends and was the Terrain Park manager and have been for several years. This last winter the conditions were so terrible I lost all motivation to work on the Terrain park knowing that every feature that I built would be completely worthless within an hour. The average temp was in the 40's and 50's all winter including 8 - 70+ degree days. My lack of motivation lost me that position, so I will be working extra hard this season to get it back. Just hoping for some good snowfall's and some good snow-keeping temps this year. The poor conditions last year really took its toll on my board, my skill level, and my morale. Last year was my 18th season riding, and the worst one I can ever remember.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I'm an instructor on the weekends and I was disappointed in myself because I didn't get my seasonal kids to the level I KNOW they could have and should have reached. It was all survival skiing and not very good teaching for the little ones. We were consistently in the 40's as well and we even had a day in the 70-80's....I was in a t-shirt and my lightest weight uniform vest and it was still too much. I know I felt so demotivated too...only turn-around for the season was getting my certification.

I think last year and the FANTASTIC snow season spoiled me. Hoping for some good snow and good temps this year...pretty sure every skier and boarder I know has their fingers crossed and are wishing for it every night.

Best wishes to you on getting that job back...you seem determined to get it as long as things don't get crappy again.
  • lookitsromo
    Options
    I'm really excited! I hope that my knee gets better so I can ski again. I tried running for the first time since my injury and it felt good! My knee is a little sore/swollen, but I'm surprised I finish my mile as fast as I did. I'm hoping it continues to look up as it looks like we are coming out of a La Nina year, FINALLY!

I too instruct on weekends. Last year was unusually good for us, we had the most snow in the nation at one point. Sandia Ski Area usually has below/average snow, but we get the tail end of these tropical storms from the Gulf. We received a ridiculous amount of snow in two days. That kept us going the rest of the season as it dried up. It was unusually awesome considering the rest of the season felt like spring skiing.
  • mjemerysmith
    mjemerysmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am TOTALLY excited for ski season. According to the countdown app on my phone, it's 35 days 20 hours 24 minutes and 10 seconds to our first ski trip!!!!
  • steviedrew1967
    Options
    I can't wait for ski season this year and I pray we get more snow than last year. First trip: Alta!
  • dellrio
    Options
    Wild Mountain(hill), Minnesota - opened 1 run with manmade snow and terrain park features on Saturday October 7th.

Trollhaugen, Wisconsin (right across river from wild) - opened 1 run with manmade snow and terrain park features on Sunday October 8th.

So it looks like I may be headed north this weekend!
  • ghettobanker
    Options
    I hope this season is a great one nation wide. I know it was tough on all the resort. At our resort we got the best snow making system in the country 85% computerized and fan guns. Lucky for us we had been updating our snowmaking system for some time and installed most of our computers and fan guns during the major storms season 3 years ago. Even with out superior tech, it was hard to beat the melt off. Our mtn. was covered but we could not get our base to freeze even though we had 40 inche bases. It was llike a snow covered snow cone melting from the bottom (underground rivers and cravass).

Oh well, this year got to be the come back. Looking forward to the Pro Jam at Killington, VT in December. It should be a good one. Hopefully this year will not get cut short, I normally teach at Liberty til March then off the Killington till close of season.

Take care and THINK SNOW!!!!!
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    NH and VT skier and I can't wait for the snow to start falling and sticking to the ground !!!

When not sking w/ my family, I instruct with an adaptive ski program in Southern NH on each weekend and our 1st meeting is this coming Sunday ... The excitement is growing to gear-up and get out there. Everyone is hoping we have better conditions than last year.

The "forecast maps" are showing we can expect a cold winter w/ a good amount of snowfall - LET IT SNOW !!!
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It already snowed a bit in Tahoe. :-)
  • ghettobanker
    Options
    IT IS TIME FOLKS>>>>>>GET ON YOUR BOARDS AND SKIS !!! IT IS TIME FOR THE ALPINE LOVERS TO RETURN TO THE HIGHLANDS>
    Yeap..it is ski season. Hopefully strong enough for Killington in 2 weeks. Just had surgery....RoyenY gastric bipass to cure type 2 diabetes, blood preassure and I get weigh lost as a bonus. No insuline injections today. I am about to tear up.....it is like God wanted me health and 100%. Dropping weight fast, out on bike again in the morning to see if I still have my strenght and endurance. Oh...just came out of surgery on Wednesday (11/7/12). Look out....the Polar Bear is on the quick mend..... Like we say, can not keep a Ski Pro down...we will find a way to reach max speed, max height, max fun. May your fall/winter/spring be full of tons of fresh snow and perfect cold. Oh....our fan guns at Liberty Mtn. PA are the best in the nation. We are the research lab for modern snow make....yes we can make man made POW. LOL we even created avalanche conditions, buried our ski school director on a slope due to super deep fluff. Wish you a great season. Ever in PA, DC, skiing reg season look me up. I teach at Killington late season...March/April.

Here is my story:

I am going to drop close to 115lbs...down to 195. I have just finished the first half of my weight management program. I am a type 2 diabetic, and I am very active. This put me in a weird place in this fitness world. I am the product of sports meals tables that ended in my 20 and for 25 years a bank VP. Not a good combination......in short.....turned into the classic FAT CAT!! LOL Changed life radically.....left the corporate world back in Dec 2007. Prior to leaving set my goals to get strong and fit again. I maxed out my weight at around 380lbs at 6'4". During the two years prior to departing corporate world I started riding a bike. First I rode 5 miles and thought I would die. lol Kept at it. Now a normal everyday ride is 30 miles. I also started snow skiing again. I decided my new lifestyle would be my old childhood lifestyle.....Adventure. In short, I left the banking world weighing a powerful 320 lbs. I then started a career as a Ski Pro. Now my problem was I was still on a Sports Meal table. Lots of carbs, meat, potatao. In short, I was a strong poloar bear, but I want to be a powerful large cat. Today I am on my way to becoming that Large Sleek Powerful Cat....come with me on the journey. So friend me for the journey and support.
  • kspada11
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP and this board, I love to ski, they're already blowing snow throughout new england, can't wait!!