How much should I weight?

Options
I keep reading different numbers online so I thought maybe someone here could help me out. I am 5ft 9in. Right now I weight 192lbs. My original goal was to weight 115-120 but I was told that is too low for someone my height. Any idea's ladies?

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you go by the old doctor's rule of thumb of 100 pounds for the first 5 feet and 5 pounds per inch after, then at 5 feet 9 inches you should weigh 145 pounds.
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you go by the old doctor's rule of thumb of 100 pounds for the first 5 feet and 5 pounds per inch after, then at 5 feet 9 inches you should weigh 145 pounds.

That is a really good rule. I am 5 ft 8 1/2 and was aiming for 142 :smile:
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    128-162 is normal for your bmi so I would start there.
  • ClaireDeLoon
    ClaireDeLoon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am also 5 9, your weight depends on your frame. If you have a bigger frame then you can support more weight. I've been down to 120 before and on my frame it makes me look malnurished my goal is between 135-145 not sure where but once I get there I'll know what looks good. I'm sure you'll find your happy spot and remember if you build muscle it weighs more.
  • Alabama_Mommy4
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and the BMI thing (which I think is horse poop) says I should weight 95-120 which will never happen. I am broad and not a tiny little short person haha. 130-140 looks good on me. I would have to literally not eat and work out to death to get down to 120 and I would look like death. I think as long as you are at a healthy weight and feel good about it you are good.
  • babymamahowell
    Options
    I'm 5'9 currently 190 and shooting for 175. That is what I was 5 years ago on my wedding day and it looked good on me. 2 babies later I am going to see how it looks again....I hope and then if want to shoot for lower I'll give it a try. 175 is the first goal
  • hoovity
    hoovity Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat in that I've packed on a few extra pounds for so many years, I'm not quite sure where/how to make my goals. I've made some I KNOW are achievable but really, weight is a difficult one, especially if you put on muscle. What's working for me is to create smaller weight loss goals (that scale means so much to us, no matter what experts say!), and then as I get closer to an ideal weight, I will talk to a trainer or doctor depending on where I'm at at the time to discuss my other goals (maybe less inches on my thighs, which are my trouble spot), or a more muscular core, or a lower BMI or body fat percentage. I have my definite goal, a probably goal, and a hmmm... I wonder if I could get there and be healthy and toned thought! :)