Losing weight on your meds

Options
crudd123
crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
Hi, I just wondered how you all lose weight on your meds. I've been struggling to lose for 2 years now exercising like a mad woman and counting calories, tried weight watchers, now doing atkins just trying anything to get my weight loss moving. My doctor says I can't go off these meds. I've lost 3.5 pounds since last week cutting carbs. Thanks for you help.

Replies

• LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of asking my pdoc if there are meds that are similar to the ones I'm currently on, that don't have the harsh weight-gain (or making losing weight super-difficult.) I'm also debating on whether or not to put in a tele-conference request, so I won't have to wait until next month to ask her.

As to losing weight while on meds, at least as how it's applied to me: I've virtually eliminated all sodas. Discipline is key, as is portion-control. I have some other physical issues that preclude a lot of exercising, other than walking, so losing weight has been a very hard struggle. I get frustrated, but I don't give up. Oh, and I do allow myself the occasional indulgence (i.e. a female asked if anyone wanted to split a cupcake, I said "Sure!")

I'm wishing you (and all of us) the best of luck and determination towards good health and weight-loss! :smile:
  • Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue and it really discourages me. I have epilepsy, migraines and anxiety. Hate my brain! But the medications I am on for my epilepsy are also for bi-polar disorder. I can't go on any other really, because it is the only one that works (on combo of depakote & lamictal) and one of the side effects is weight gain.

I am having such a hard time losing the weight and I am doing everything right. I am exercising, I am eating the right amount of calories. Not sure what else I can do. Anyone else have this struggle?
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I take lithium and have developed hypothyroidism as a result - I wasn't able to lose any weight until I started taking levothyroxine.

I did gain a lot of weight when I first started taking medication a long time ago and complained about it to my Psychiatrist at the time, but he was thoroughly unsympathetic. I know their first concern is to get you mentally well, but if treatment leaves you detesting your body, I feel they should at least listen. And when I am feeling ok, I can honestly say that I would prefer to be twice my weight than become unwell again, but it is annoying that that's a choice to be considered.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer, but I do empathise - I have lost some weight, but it's taking a lot longer than most (story of my life! :laugh: )
  • Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your support. It is frustrating. I don't drink soda, my Mom never allowed my siblings & I to have it so I never developed that craving. Even though my carbs & sweets are okay, but I should try and limit them a little more than I am. I have lost 7 pounds, but it has been slow. My husband has lost 24 pounds! in the same amount of time that I have lost 7 and we have basically done the same thing. I cook all the meals. I am trying to lift more weights and hope that helps my metabolism. I have a feeling my metabolism is pretty slow.
  • rce884
    rce884 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. i have found that my medication has put on about 10 lbs a year for the last 17 years. it is not just medicaion but it certainly doesnt help. i know it makes me crave and holds the weight for ages. my diet dr has told me that many nutrition/diet drs wont even take patients with mental health issues because it is SO difficult for them to lose. but my dr has stuck by me my last rapid cycling episode (2 months of ups and downs) meant more meds but i only put on a pound in the last month so i am very happy with more meds generally comes more weight gain.
    the nutritionist i see siad that the best way to lose was just to take the slower metabolism on the chin and cut back my calories even more than i would have. and excercise daily.
    it is hard but i have started to lose.
    keep hope friends. it can be done. i havve to belive that.

we all do
  • rhondaf57
    rhondaf57 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to the problem you face, I have it too! I'm on sooo many meds that cause wt gain, and some that cause wt loss. Instead of losing wt, I am holding or gaining a pound @ the time. In addition to being bipolar, I am treated for seizures and hypothyroidism with wt altering meds. I exercise and eat healthy religiously, but find I'm really getting very discouraged and wanting to just give up, but I don't want to stay fat! What the answer is, I'm sure I don't know. I'm eatting back my exercise calories, per recommendations, with daily caloric goal set @ 1200. I've tried not eatting back those calories and was informed I was placing my body in starvation mode, which decreased metabolism. Between menopause, having a sluggish thyroid, and being bipolar I'm about ready to decide I'm a lost cause. I do see that others here overcome multiple obstacles to reach wt loss goals, I just hope I can look back & see how far I've come to succeed, this time next year. Sorry for rambling, I'm pretty depressed lately, have just had to increase antidepressant dosage, but I feel safe here. :-#
  • nativedawta
    nativedawta Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found this article very informative and plan on using it to help me lose this weight. I take 3 antidepressants. http://www.oprah.com/health/Is-It-Possible-to-Lose-Weight-on-Antidepressants
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've managed to lose weight, it's been really slow but the weight has come off.

First I started taking Topamax to counteract the appetite-increasing properties of Seroquel and Lithium. Before starting the Topamax I was starving all the time - I could eat a big meal and my brain would still tell me I was hungry, it was ridiculous.

Once I wasn't starving all the time I started a very strict diet and exercise program. I do 30 minutes on my treadmill every morning and most days I also go work out in the gym evenings. I try to make sure to burn a minimum of 500 calories each day. My calories are set to 1200 and I eat back at least half of my exercise calories. I find I lose more when I limit carbs, if I focus on eating protein with fruits and vegetables I get the best results. I've had to learn to accept that I hit long plateaus...I don't lose consistently. I will go weeks without losing anything at all even when I am doing everything right. It's discouraging but eventually I will have a loss, so I just have to keep at it.

I think that losing weight on our meds is possible, it just takes hard work and a lot of patience.
  • davilynrainwater
    Options
    Nativedawta, thank you for the site!