Breast pump

I am going to be a first time mom in November. What is the best breast pump to use? I have heard that Medela, Ameda and Hygeia are good.

Replies

• mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    I've only used medela for my previous 2 kids. and will use a medela for this baby too. they are so worth it. my 1st one was from 95 and I still worked freaken awesome 4 years ago. My 2nd i got from insurance company and worked amazing. i've let 5 of my close friends and family borrow it when i was done using it and it was a life saver for them all..
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I used an at-home Medela and then rented the hospital-grade Medela for a month. I ended up buying an Avent one.

Here it is, and my review, titled "Great pump! As good as hospital-grade Medela Symphony!" and dated March 27, 2011 is the sixth down if you go to the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AVENT-Free-Electric-Breast/dp/B004HFQOLS/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 913 Member
    I bought a medela double electric freestyle for this baby! Check with your insurance company - I know mine covers Ameda pumps if you purchase from CVS specifically.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Been wanting a medela!! My insurance rocks so maybe it covers? How do i go about finding out through them?
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 913 Member
    My insurance had it listed specifically in the benefits plan for 2013 - it's not effective until January, but I think there are a number of insurance companies giving some benefits now
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    medela fan here.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    @mrs.carter call ur insurance.. ask them if they would cover it and if they do ask them for a numberr to a medical supplier they use so they can send u one.. thats how it all went down for me..
  • RBXChas
    I agree, call your insurance provider. Mine *just* added breastfeeding supplies/support to my policy beginning 9/1/12, which is AWESOME. Last time I had to pay for appointments with the lactation consultant ($40 or $50 an hour), as well as my rental of the hospital-grade pump ($75/month). Of course now I already have my own breast pump, so it's too late for that, but at least if I want/need to see the lactation consultant again, it's covered.

The hospital-grade pumps are awesome, though, so if you can get that completely covered by your insurance, then all you need to buy are your own pump parts (tubing, breast flanges, bottles, etc. - not very expensive compared to buying an entire pump), and you can save yourself from buying your own pump. The only thing about the hospital pumps is that they are heavy and come in these big plastic cases, so it looks like you're carrying around a French horn or something. If you're only planning on pumping at home, then it's cool, but a lot of women use the hospital-grade one at home and then have a lighter one they travel around with/go to work with.
  • RBXChas
    One more recommendation, and I didn't buy this last time but plan to this time - a hands-free pumping bra like this one (which comes in different sizes):

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-Pumping-Bustier-Medela/dp/B003Y01MQY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349359133&sr=8-2&keywords=hands+free+pumping+bra

I'm not sure how well the Medela hands-free pump works, but it's a lot more expensive than your typical Medela Pump In Style. Honestly I don't know anyone who ever actually got it even though they registered for it (most people don't feel comfortable giving breastfeeding stuff as gifts, unfortunately), and no one sprung for it when they ended up buying a pump themselves. Anyway, it might be worthwhile to invest in a pumping bra or two than to pay the extra for the special hands-free pump.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    I got a pump breast pump, not sure which brand from a family friend. But one of my friends suggested this which I thought was a good idea. She suggested to wait to buy the pump. What if you can't breast feed for some reason, and from what I've read you should purely breast feed for the first month. So, that is my thinking, it would save the hassle of having to return it. I also think my insurance reimburses $50 or $100 for pumps, which is nice. So I am not going to buy another one, but I have the manual one in case I need it sooner.
  • RBXChas
    I got a pump breast pump, not sure which brand from a family friend. But one of my friends suggested this which I thought was a good idea. She suggested to wait to buy the pump. What if you can't breast feed for some reason, and from what I've read you should purely breast feed for the first month. So, that is my thinking, it would save the hassle of having to return it. I also think my insurance reimburses $50 or $100 for pumps, which is nice. So I am not going to buy another one, but I have the manual one in case I need it sooner.

True, plus you can always use the hospital pump while in the hospital and then rent it for a month. I liked using the hospital one not just because it was good but because it gave me an idea of what I liked/didn't like when I was purchasing my own personal-use pump.

Honestly, I plan on breastfeeding again but also starting to pump sooner, that way I can have a nice supply built up. I had an awful time the first time because I was not persistent enough about both nursing and pumping.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member

True, plus you can always use the hospital pump while in the hospital and then rent it for a month. I liked using the hospital one not just because it was good but because it gave me an idea of what I liked/didn't like when I was purchasing my own personal-use pump.

Honestly, I plan on breastfeeding again but also starting to pump sooner, that way I can have a nice supply built up. I had an awful time the first time because I was not persistent enough about both nursing and pumping.

I've heard the hospital ones are really nice. I want to pump after around a month so others can help, but I plan on doing both.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    My insurance had it listed specifically in the benefits plan for 2013 - it's not effective until January, but I think there are a number of insurance companies giving some benefits now

Thank you all!! I called my insurance company this morning and like you Em, its not available for us till January 1st bc of some changes. BUT Kiley that's a good idea! My. Little man is due December 14th so i would only have to wait about 2 weeks to get one. I have a bfeeding class to go to tonight so i will be asking about renting one, etc. It would just be nice to be prepared before he comes but it may be more beneficial to wait!
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Thanks Ladies :)