2 Questions.

Options
ewl6850
ewl6850 Posts: 158 Member
1. I thought of this in the shy people thread, but, seems to be a lot going on in there right now. Can a guy, think a girl's cute and ask her out on the spot? For me, that has always seemed forward, for whatever reason, and I figured it would make more sense to ask her for her number, and then call her and ask her out, does it matter?

2. Been debating online dating a lot, as I am getting more and more discontent being single, and having 100 friends that also translate into 50 couples. How many of you do it? What sites? Do you like it? Any luck? I'm 21, still in college, but there is literately, 1 or 2 girls I will cross paths with in my next 2 years (no exaggeration, gen ed's are done, and I am in the tech building here on out), is that still too young? I am not shy at all, but breaking that ice with the first approach is the hardest ever.

Just looking for input, please and thanks.

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    1) I would like it if a guy asked me out after meeting me but if he just came up and said, "hey you're cute, let's go out?" then itd be a little odd. If he spent 10 min or so talking to me about interests, getting to know me then asks me out, it'd be perfect. He could then get my number to confirm or whatever.

2) I use POF. Some people hate it and some like me, like it. I reject guys all the time and do have to weed out through messages/ profiles but I've enjoyed meeting guys I wouldn't other wise meet. I'm also on OK Cupid but haven't found 1 guy I like on there. So weird. I was on match for a short period of time and again, I didn't find 1 guy I was interested in. Some people swear by those sites... So it's all a matter of preference.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, you can ask her out then and there as opposed to waiting to call. However, I agree that you need at least a bit of a conversation first to determine if you're even remotely compatible. Otherwise she knows you're only asking her out based on looks, which can seem creepy.

2. You should absolutely give online dating a chance. Try free sites like Plenty of Fish or Ok Cupid - I've found these to be about equal, but what you find really depends on your area of the country and age range. Don't waste your money on Eharmony or Match. Happy to help if you need thoughts on your profile. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    1. I'm not sure about this. I have to know SOMETHING about a guy before I agree to spend time alone with him. If we had any sort of conversation and there's some chemistry? Sure.

2. I know nothing.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Misread this so deleted my first response because I took the context entirely differently.

I say go for it and do not set a hypothetical time line on it.
  • ewl6850
    Options
    Any suggestions for an online dating name? I don't even know where to begin.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    1. I thought of this in the shy people thread, but, seems to be a lot going on in there right now. Can a guy, think a girl's cute and ask her out on the spot? For me, that has always seemed forward, for whatever reason, and I figured it would make more sense to ask her for her number, and then call her and ask her out, does it matter?

2. Been debating online dating a lot, as I am getting more and more discontent being single, and having 100 friends that also translate into 50 couples. How many of you do it? What sites? Do you like it? Any luck? I'm 21, still in college, but there is literately, 1 or 2 girls I will cross paths with in my next 2 years (no exaggeration, gen ed's are done, and I am in the tech building here on out), is that still too young? I am not shy at all, but breaking that ice with the first approach is the hardest ever.

Just looking for input, please and thanks.

1. Yes, absolutely! I have done that before. If you've got something good in an in person interaction, ask her to do something then and there. You can also get her number after she's agreed to do whatever it is that you are planning to do with her. This method works best if there's a common activity. If you both like to play basketball, you could shoot hoops together.

2. Instead of online dating, I would focus on participating in some female friendly extracurricular activities. But make sure that you like them as well. You could take an exercise class, play volleyball, play tennis, do something where you know you'll have fun and that there will be females around. College is a great opportunity. Almost everyone is unmarried, and many are unattached. You won't get an opportunity like this after college. Make the most of it! Find women on campus, and go for it!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    1. The few times that guys have come up to me in the street and asked me out I've immediately rejected. Not cos of any other reason than my own insecurity. And yeah, I find it too bold. I guess it depends where you are, but great if you can get chatting and then ask her. I think swapping numbers is good too.

2. Agree you should try the free sites first to get a feel for it.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Mubb
    Mubb Posts: 90
    Options
    Man I hear ya, I am far from shy, I talk to women all the time. But its always short conversation s
    Like in line at the store, or even pumping gas. But a one or two minute convo doesn't seem like long enough
    To ask for a number, or a date. And the worst part, is I never run into any of these ladies agian ever.
    Screw it next woman I talk to, I'm just going to ask for her number. Scientific experiment!

You can try POF its total free, not like all the other BS dating sites
  • ewl6850
    Options
    Man I hear ya, I am far from shy, I talk to women all the time. But its always short conversation s
    Like in line at the store, or even pumping gas. But a one or two minute convo doesn't seem like long enough
    To ask for a number, or a date. And the worst part, is I never run into any of these ladies agian ever.
    Screw it next woman I talk to, I'm just going to ask for her number. Scientific experiment!

I hear that. However, I did get a number about a week ago, but was too big of a pansy to call, which was combined with my lack of money, and knowing my own schedule this weekend to even ask for a date.

But I made an account on PoF last night and almost immediately found someone who's super pretty, and we have a TON in common, she's about an hour away, but I got her number and am hoping to maybe see her this weekend.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

I hear that. However, I did get a number about a week ago, but was too big of a pansy to call, which was combined with my lack of money, and knowing my own schedule this weekend to even ask for a date.

But I made an account on PoF last night and almost immediately found someone who's super pretty, and we have a TON in common, she's about an hour away, but I got her number and am hoping to maybe see her this weekend.

That was quick! I think you'll have good luck online dating!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    1.) I'll see the on-spot ask-out and raise you one. Just saddle up next to the broad and make it a first date. I like to pick the most attractive female in a classy restaurant and pull this move. It matters not whether she happens to be on a date at that moment or even if there is no available chair. Scoot in real close and start talking about the vacations you are planning to take her on. I guarantee a 100% success rate.

2.) Yeah, everyone is doing it so might as well. Although you will have much better stories to post about with tactic #1.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    1. Depends on the situation. If I am walking down the street, no way. But the other day I was in line at a grocery store. This nice man about my age, with no ring on his finger, started chatting with me (or I with him....dont remember who started) anyway we chatted while the nice lady in front of us first made the girl run back for a buy one get one free jar of something, then 1% milk because she got 2%...................THEN I swear she paid in pennies:laugh:

Point is we were chatting for 15 minutes. I could tell he wanted to ask me out or get my number, and I kick myself in the butt for not asking if he was single and interested.

The one thing with asking her out right there is the dreaded REJECTION. IF she says "No thank you" it is much more awkward than on the telephone.

2. I have found a better group of people on the pay dating sites. Kind of like taking i-95 or the turnpike. Someone on the turnpike at least can pay for tolls:laugh:

BUT............always a but! I have played on POF, and have had friends meet GREAT people on there.

Good luck, you are a great guy!:flowerforyou:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

You never called the one from last week!? WHAT!?
    But that is awesome about the PoF potential already!
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have a POF account but nothing has ever come of it.
    On OKCupid, I have met a couple of girls in person that turned into relationships lasting several months to about a year.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you meet someone you want to go out with, just suggest meeting somewhere public and low key like meeting up for coffee, tea, milk shake, or at your local swingers bar!

...that last one was thrown in for amusement.