Falling off the Vegan Wagon

Options
mamaclose
mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
How do you guys handle it? I spent the past 2 days traveling and eating in hotels and restaurants. I tried to order/eat the "safest" foods possible, but I honestly don't know what everything was made with. I know that there was cheese for sure in my pasta. I did pack myself snacks and breakfast food so those were okay.

Do I just move on and resume eating plant based/vegan tomorrow? I feel super guilty.

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty, just move on. It happens, especially if you are relatively new at it.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    Don't sweat it! I think it's all apart of the learning process. Just try again tomorrow, and learn from the mistakes of the day prior.

:-)
  • maradot
    maradot Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. Its not a mortal sin, its just a life choice.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It happens to every one at some point. It's hard to avoid everything all the time. The world is an imperfect place and humans are imperfect creatures. Just move on and do the best you can tomorrow.
  • VeganHippieChick
    VeganHippieChick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it! I think it's all apart of the learning process. Just try again tomorrow, and learn from the mistakes of the day prior.

this :flowerforyou:
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Mistakes are awesome! That's how we learn...perhaps you can take from this experience that it is totally ok to ask questions when you order, and make requests. They may or may not be accommodated but it really is okay to ask. (nicely, of course). If nothing else, it might make the restaurant consider having vegan options in the future.
  • MTBSolo
    MTBSolo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've accepted that I can't follow a Vegan diet 100% of the time. This has made it much easier for me as I can pick the Vegan option if there is one but not get guilty with myself if not and go for the Vegetarian one instead. It's better to try for your dream and stumble on the way than never to try at all.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be rigidly legalistic about it, it seems like it will be a pretty miserable existence. Tomorrow is a new day which means a chance for a new beginning.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not break...even when eating!
  • mamaclose
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your words of advice and encouragement! I had a good day today and ate 100% vegan, which felt great!
  • agent_44
    agent_44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make a mistake, but wouldn't give up! I find a bit of research and forward planning is helpful. Always ask about vegan options and explain your diet. You'll be surprised at how many places can either accommodate you or are happy to make you something that fits :-)
  • southernpurplevegan
    Options

this :flowerforyou:

I agree with above statements
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    For the record, my family was invited to eat at a church member's home on Sunday...chicken & sausage gumbo; this is like the holy grail of meals down here in South LA and, yes, I caved...and it was SO GOOD! I didn't beat myself up about it though, I just enjoyed a little bit of home cooking and got back on the wagon on Monday. So you are not alone!
  • maradot
    maradot Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    "Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not break - even when eating"

This is fantastic - put it on a shirt!: :drinker:
  • mamaclose
    Options
    Thanks BobbyDaniel for your disclosure, LOL. Made me feel better for sure!

Since I've returned home on Saturday evening I've stayed true to my vegan diet!

Love the quote maradot!
  • britstrrr
    britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I heard this as a dieting quote but think it applies "if you miss one stop sign driving home, it doesn't mean you can miss all the rest". :)

I had a tough time with this over thanksgiving (hard to say no to things like mashed potatoes and veggie stuffing, when I'm pretty sure there is milk or butter in both). I guess we just need to stick by the decisions we make at the time and then move on.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Traveling is always quite an adventure for me and my vegan needs. I've learned long ago to never order off the menu without a thoroughly questioning. Sometimes even the most innocent steamed vegetable dishes are cooked with butter. If your at the hotel restaurant, ask the waiter as many questions as you need. They are there to serve you. You are paying for that food and their service. If it's ordering for room-service, call in to start the interrogation (lol..) before you make your choice(s).

I make a few trips a year here and there and I've found it to be rather exciting to explore my food options by planning ahead. I do Google searches for nearby vegan options and have my Happy Cow app ready on my phone.

Thanksgiving can be rather frustrating but that was before I learned to plan ahead. I know that my family means well but plain grilled portobella mushrooms can only satiate that much. Instead, I plan sides, an entree and dessert - no more missing out on the yumminess of this holiday for me!
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add - some restaurants with chefs worth their toque's will be more than willing to make you special-to-order dishes that are vegan. During my travels in Charleston, SC, I found that most of the reputable restaurants were quite accommodating towards my needs.. even the steakhouses (huuuuge surprise for me).