Any Vegans Here?

Options
1ariesgal
1ariesgal Posts: 18 Member
Hi,
I am vegan and wondering if there any others out there? If so. how is it going for you? I am on my way out to pick up some pea protein and was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations.

Thanks!

Replies

• vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am what I guess would be called an "ovo-vegan"? I can't tollerate anything with milk or cheese, and can't eat meat/fsh either. Finding a protein powder WITHOUT whey was hard till I went to a health food store. Pea protein is good, but the texture takes some getting used to. My protein sources are eggs/whites, tofu, protein shakes, and I keep a list of higher protein vegetables on the fridge. I really have to work to get the recommended amount of protein - and don't usully make it to the % in my food diary. I think it has slowed my weight lifting progress down some, but it is what it is. If I'm losing weight and staying strong, then mission accomplished!

Have you always been vegan?
  • 1ariesgal
    1ariesgal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi!

No I haven't always been a vegan, but I have always been a very picky eater and left up to my own would gravitate towards vegan food. College really threw that out of wack because there was a mandatory food plan that was awful! Since then, I've weaved in and out of veganism. I really like a high raw diet though. I feel best on it. I ended up getting Sunwarrior's Raw Warrior Blend. It's a mix of pea, cranberry and hemp proteins. I am about to try it for the first time today, hope I like it. I will add a bunch of greens and some fruit.

Have you tried sprouts? I am researching it (again :)) and they are packed with protein. Two cups of lentil sprouts has 14 grams of protein, and I know broccoli sprouts are 35% protein. I am planning on sticking them in my green smoothie (with 17 gram of protein from powder, cause they will just dissolve in the blender and bam! 30 grams of protein and and a bunch of other amazing nutrients. Then I guess I will mix with almond milk later in the day. I stay away from soy based stuff, it doesnt agree with me and I've seen some icky studies on it.

Are you shooting for a specific number of grams of protein per day? I know some say 1 gram per pound of body weight. I am just beginning again and not so anal about it. Perhaps I will be later though! Today is my first day, so I will adjust as I go. If I need to raise the protein I will. I tend to struggle with basic caloric intake.

Have you seen veganbodybuilding.com? I am peeking at that too for ideas. :tongue:

I just read this article http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_buildingmuscle (is it okay to post from another site? if not just delete!)

Ack! I weigh a ton! Classic mesomorph, guess I will have to add two scoops! :smile:
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, and yes it is ok to post. I bookmarked the food section.

The way I learned it was to consume about a gm. of protein per pound of LEAN body weight, meaning you also need a rough idea what your percentage of body fat is. I have my diary set to 40/30/30, carb/ protein/ fat and it actually works out pretty clost to right, 118 gms of protein. I almost never make it because I just get full. It's good to have a target though, if you don't have anything to aim at you won't hit anything at all!

Thanks so much for reminding me about the sprouts. I also cook regular family meals for The Carnivores, as I call the men in my life (husband and 2 teen sons) so I tend to lose my ideas for myself. Love seasoned lentils with carrots and mushrooms. As far as the soy goes, I am not overly worried about it as long as I can buy organic with no GMO's. Just have to read the labels.