Need Advice

Options
I am doing my pre-op diet but I feel like I am nit eating correctly. I am trying to follow the surgeons instructions but i still feel like I am way under cal.

Replies

• TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I would just eat a little more of what is on the diet. I don't think you are getting enough calories and you might start feeling a little fatigued. How far are you from your surgery date?
  • Willthemedic
    Willthemedic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    13 days
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes way too low. I am a 5ft 3 female and my low cal pre op diet was 1,000 calories a day. Even the milk diet was 1,000 calories a day! I was allowed as much green salad and veggies (non root ones!) as I wanted. I made a huge green salad with 50 grams protein for lunch and a large pan of veggie soup (butternut squash and red and yellow peppers for one, spinach broccolli and cauliflower as another) I used to sip on that throughout the day. Also eat or drink everything on your diet sheet every day....you need it. We had sugar free jelly which helped to fill me up. I also saved my carbs for my evening meal so I felt full before I went to bed and didn't wake up starving.

Oh also drink as much water as you can it does help.
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    i agree..i believe you may need to eat a lil more of whats on the pre-op diet...dont want to be starved or too fatigued on the date of surgery...congrats again by the way..
  • Willthemedic
    Options
    I think I might start including a small snack mid morning and then around 3.
  • Willthemedic
    Options
    All the paper work from the surgeon states eat in small portions so that you can prepair for after the surgery. I am trying that but dang I am not getting the correct col.
  • pwbarton1
    pwbarton1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My pre-op was also about 2000 calories dropping to 1200 cal/day as I got closer leaning heavily towards protein and exercise. It may depend on surgery proximity, how comfortable the surgeon is with your progress and any additional health factors. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I know MFP will tell me that I am not getting enough calories but the doc and nutritionist say I'm right on track. I did get some isopure protein drinks (something different from shakes) that help greatly during the day with liquids and protein. But, like anything, too much of a good thing can lead to other problems. The time management and small portions are important.
  • CatCopeland305
    CatCopeland305 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay so before surgery I had a 14 day liquid diet. After I had 2 weeks of clear liquids, 2 weeks of full liquids, and 2 weeks blended and pureed foods. Keep in mind I am still on clear liquids. Am I the only one that has had to do this?
  • Willthemedic
    Options
    The post-op diet is just like what my Surgeon had said. The pre-opt though is totaly diferent.
  • mum_of_one
    Options
    My pre-op diet is 2 wks of of meal replacements, the brand they recommend - Optifast - has shakes, soups, desserts (which I think are essentially the shakes with abit of gelatine added) and bars. I am to have 3 products each day, it doesnt matter which ones. In addition to it I can have clear broth, diet drinks, 2 cups veges per day, coffee/tea as long as its not milky like latte', and one piece of fruit - providing I dont feel hungry. They say that if you dont feel hungry you must be in ketosis, therefore the extra carbs wont affect you. If you are feeling hungry you are not to eat a piece of fruit. Strange but true :)
    So my pre-op diet is only about 700 - 800 cals per day.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think all surgeons/bariatric programs have different pre op diets. Mine was for 2 weeks before surgery. 4 protein shakes a day, 2 mixed with skim milk, 2 mixed with water. I only did three a day and those were for my meals. I could have oatmeal, cream of wheat, sugar free pudding, fruit free low fat yogurt and a couple other things. Any clear liquids as long as they were sugar free, decaffinated and no carbonation. I also was allowed a list of veggies I could eat that were no starchty veggies.
    Did the dr. give you a plan to follow?
  • Willthemedic
    Options
    Yea he gave me a plan and I am pretty much sticking to it. I am no Dr. but I do think that there mane gole with the pre-opt diet is to shrink the liver and to get your lifestyle change going in the right direction.
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My pre-op diet is 2 weeks of protein shakes for 2 of my meals and a low fat diet for the 3rd. I don't have to count calories.
  • Maeiowa
    Maeiowa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Okay so before surgery I had a 14 day liquid diet. After I had 2 weeks of clear liquids, 2 weeks of full liquids, and 2 weeks blended and pureed foods. Keep in mind I am still on clear liquids. Am I the only one that has had to do this?

I am on that same diet. I will be sleeved on the 19th and will follow that same regiment as you!
  • sherrifm2012
    Options

I was on exactly the same. now 4 weeks post and on solids. Though still doing lot's of protein shakes because they are frankly just easier. eat solids too fast and i pay with discomfort! :)