Vaccines for you

Options
chickybuns
chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
I have been thinking about this lately and was wondering what other ladies' thoughts were on this. After reseraching I am going to get the flu vaccine, but am going to request the kind without thimerosal. I also know I need to get the Tdap, but I"m debating if I should get it now or right after birth. The only thing that scares me about that is it is not recommend for women before the 20th week of pregnancy, so maybe there is some risk there? I know the CDC says it's all safe, but there haven't been any long-term studies.

Replies

• blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I received the flu vaccine on Wed. I received mine at my OBGYN office just because I would feel better knowing that they are using the correct vaccine for pregnant women. What prompted me to get it was it also protects baby until they are 6 months old which is important to me since she will be so small during flu season. I also need the Tdap vaccine but both my regular physician and my OB told me to wait till after delivery. I did not question as to why but they both suggested it and my OB said he would give me that vaccine right after delivery. I also asked my hubby to get the Tdap as well. My son was vaccinated for that when he was 5 so he is good. Since the baby can't have that vaccine yet can't be too careful. I am also more paranoid as we had several cases of kids who were not vaccinated walking around my sons school with whooping cough and that can be fatal with a newborn.
  • chickybuns
    Options
    I received the flu vaccine on Wed. I received mine at my OBGYN office just because I would feel better knowing that they are using the correct vaccine for pregnant women. What prompted me to get it was it also protects baby until they are 6 months old which is important to me since she will be so small during flu season. I also need the Tdap vaccine but both my regular physician and my OB told me to wait till after delivery. I did not question as to why but they both suggested it and my OB said he would give me that vaccine right after delivery. I also asked my hubby to get the Tdap as well. My son was vaccinated for that when he was 5 so he is good. Since the baby can't have that vaccine yet can't be too careful. I am also more paranoid as we had several cases of kids who were not vaccinated walking around my sons school with whooping cough and that can be fatal with a newborn.

That's interesting they told you to wait on the Tdap but mine told me I could do it whenever. I am going to look into a little more, but I might just wait to be on the safe side. I think I'm getting the flu next visit, didn't this last time because I saw still getting over a cold and sinus infection.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I got the pertussis one last month at the ob office. I will get the flu one next visit. One thing...the tdap hurt like a mofo for several days after. Just fyi.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I got the Tdap one sometime around 32 weeks. My OB said after two weeks, some of the antibodies would transfer to the baby, and this would be good because babies have such weak immune systems. My husband also got it, and our OB recommended that anyone who will have consistent, close contact with the baby get one, too.

And my arm hurt like a mofo too! Couldn't sleep on that side for two nights.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Last time I was pregnant, I got the flu shot. I got it at the Target pharmacy because for whatever reason my OB's office didn't give it. I got the Tdap vaccine after delivery, but I don't remember it hurting all that bad, possibly because I was so preoccupied otherwise. My husband was supposed to get it but never did, which was stupid in retrospect.

The only other shot I remember getting while pregnant was RhoGAM because my blood is Rh negative, and my husband's is Rh positive. If your blood is Rh positive (most people's is), or if both yours and the father's are Rh negative, then you don't need it.

This time I plan to do the same as last time, except I will have my husband actually get the Tdap vaccine. As for me, I'm not sure if I need it again because I got it in 2011.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm current with all my vaccines and got the flu shot in late Aug when my work was offering it, making sure to get the shot and not the mist which is not supposed to be taken by pregnant women. My OB says that apparently I'm not immune to rubella so I'll be getting that vaccine after the baby's born. Which is weird because I've had the MMR shot, but apparently that part of it didn't take :ohwell:
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm asking about the flu shot at my OBGYN appt next week, but intend to get it (so long as she agrees). I had the Tdap in 2010, so I should still be good there. I am UTD on all shots as I've traveled outside the country a few times in the last few years and got about a trillion vaccines, haha!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'll be getting the flu shot (however, it doesn't roll out here until my due date), and my GP and OB both said to wait until after delivery for the Tdap. I'm especially worried about pertussis because it's been in the news so much over the past few months, and I currently work with someone who's daughter has it, so it's definitely going around here...
  • keyalus
    keyalus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to get the flu shot at my next doctor's visit. My son (who is in daycare) had one but I just want my own for backup. I've seen a lot of co-worker's come to work lately looking like they really should have stayed home.

I had a pertussis vaccine after my son was born in Sept 2009. I think it must still be good because the nurse didn't mention needing another one.
  • chickybuns
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I think I will get the flu shot...the one without thimerosal next visit, because I can imagine what the flu would do after my sinus infection and cold...and hopefully it will pass some immunity to my son. I think I will wait until after delivery to get the Tdap, if some doctors think that I'm sure there is some basis. I'd rather be safe.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I hate vaccines, especially the flu vaccine. Being in the military they force you to get it but since i'm pregnant it's up to my OB so if he doesn't mention it I'm not going too. I get sick everytime I get that darn thing and last year I got the flu anyway because it only covers you against one stream of the flu so if they happen to chose the wrong one that year then you can still get it...I had a great immune system until I joined the CG and they started making me get vaccinated for everything!....just my 2 cents ;)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'll also be getting my pertussus and flu shots before baby arrives.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I hate vaccines, especially the flu vaccine. Being in the military they force you to get it but since i'm pregnant it's up to my OB so if he doesn't mention it I'm not going too. I get sick everytime I get that darn thing and last year I got the flu anyway because it only covers you against one stream of the flu so if they happen to chose the wrong one that year then you can still get it...I had a great immune system until I joined the CG and they started making me get vaccinated for everything!....just my 2 cents ;)

I also am not a fan of vaccines and selectively vaccinate my children, and only have vaccinated myself with what is required for my job. I do not get the flu vaccine. My midwives do not recommend it either. They recommend Vitamin D3, Vitamin C and Elderberry syrup daily. I am healthy with a strong immune system, no I don't really see the need for the vaccine. My body knows what it is doing. Just my opinion on the subject.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I refuse to do any shots during pregnancy unless it is extremely necessary like my Rohgam shot because I'm RH negative. But anything else I won't do....until after. Maybe its just me being overly paranoid, but I just feel better not doing it.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I got the flu shot, and (based on my doc's rec), am going to wait to get the others until post-delivery. I had never gotten the flu shot before, but decided to this time since my mommy friends in the medical field strongly recommended it. I did double check that it was the one safe for pregnancy. (Some have embalming fluid in them--definitely avoid those!) I felt fine afterwards, and one week later am still feeling good--so luckily no bad reaction for me.
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I did get the flu shot. With the amount of germs that float through my house I think we have a new germ each week. Sadly I am not joking. I don't usually do the flu shot but since I get so sick while pg already I don't really need to worry about getting the flu. Other then that I am not planning anything else at the moment.