Ready to shrink this belly! First time Mom...

Options
Hello all!

I'm Amber, and I just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy in September. I'm hoping to make some friends and track my calories until I am cleared to get back to the gym in a few weeks! I'm pretty shocked at the flap of jelly that was once my tummy. Will I ever wear a bathing suit again?!

For those that have had experience with this, how soon did you resume exercise after a vaginal birth? I've been told 6 weeks, but see personally see no harm in some light walking if it feels OK.

Good luck and keep at it everyone!

Replies

• kirstina_23
    kirstina_23 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hey there i had my son 3 months ago. I know the feeling about the belly, I gained almost 70lbs and to date have lost 36 i keep looking at the belly going is it going to ever be flat again. So how are you doing so far?
  • Cjumir
    Cjumir Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Do not get discouraged!
    Right after giving birth, I assumed I would lose the weight, get toned abs right away, like some women do...

4 weeks after giving birth I started training.
    My baby is 10 months and I managed to tone up a bit, lose a bit of weight, lose some inches ( waist)...

I realize the battle is longer than I had anticipated. But I am not giving up.

Check up my photos.
  • RealChange31
    RealChange31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thaks ladies!

So far, so good. I'm hoping to go on our first "outing" today by myself. I'll start with walking and take it from there.

What sort of exercise are you girls doing? weights? cardio?

Amber
  • kcmo2528
    kcmo2528 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    First time mom as well. My son was born in June. I think I felt good enough to start walking about 2 weeks PP, but they were short and slow at the beginning. By 3 weeks, I thought, "Hey, I feel awesome! I will try jogging!" After a few steps, I felt like my guts were going to fall out onto the street. I tried running every few weeks after that and didn't feel good enough until 8 weeks PP. Weightlifting is still so freaking hard for me. My hips always feel like they are going to break apart! Everyone is different though. Good luck!
  • Cjumir
    Cjumir Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh, I remember how scary it was for me to go out....I gave birth n December, so the fear of going out in the cold, the germs, the flu..

So I finally had the courage one day to go to the shopping center. It was great, the babies sleep a lot at that age, so you time yourself, feed the baby and leave...

It is great. Walking is also good for the morale.
  • cassiemgill
    Options
    Kirstina~ it is nice to see when someone did not gain "thirty five" pounds. I gained almost 85 pounds, I felt absolutely disgusting and still not feeling so hot but I am willing to work my butt off got the next year to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I have lost 25 since he born on 08 25 but have a long way to go! I just found out about MyFitnessPal and excited to start this journey (I have a wedding to be in on 10 05 2013 ... bridesmaid, not bride, lol). Thanks for sharing your weight gain information - good luck to you!
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Amber,
    I would think that 4 weeks would be fine to resume normal workouts unless you had a "traumatic" birth. I started walking at 2 weeks and had a little increase in bleeding, but nothing too bad. Just watch your energy level and listen to your body (which I'm admittedly not that good at!) and you should be okay.
    For strength I started w/ the prenatal videos I had (10 minute Pilates and the Summer Sanders pre-natal one) and cardio was walking and elliptical when I could make it to the gym...kcmo2825 is dead on for the running though! I had the same issue... I thought my uterus was going to fall out on the pavement when I first tried to run around 6 weeks after... it's okay now (my baby's almost 4 months now) but I haven't done any significant distance because of a pre-pregnancy running injury.
    Let us know how your first venture out goes!
  • Katrina_88
    Katrina_88 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I gained 55 lbs during my pregnancy, My son just turned 1 this last weekend. I gave birth c- section, so i was left with the pudge and I still have the majority of it. I didn't really get dedicated to my weight loss until a few months ago but i do a lot of cardio and the Jillian michaels workout videos and it is starting to work. I feel like my abs are stronger and the skin on my belly is starting to tighten up. Any workout that involves your core will help. Best of luck to you :)
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    walking is totally fine for most women that have had a normal birth. Jogging/running NO!! I like the Denise Austin Fit and Firm pregnancy dvd. It has a post partum section that you can do starting at 6 weeks.
  • laylasmommy67
    laylasmommy67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had my baby in September too :) she is 4 weeks today... (via c-section)
    and I have been walking since about 2 weeks pp, and just started hitting the gym (very lightly) a week ago...

I gained 20 lbs, and since then have lost almost 30....weight is falling off quick, but my body definitely needs some work! and about 15 lbs til my goal weight! yay!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I started my normal workout at 8 weeks and I had an emergency C-section.
  • StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 weeks postpartum and started walking around 3-4 weeks and then after being cleared I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I'm just now on day 3 so no major success yet, but I feel like completeing each day is a success. I gained 35lbs, lost 25 without lifting a finger really and have been stuck since.. I finally saw the scale move down some today so I think the shred is going to work. I'm really sore but it's worth it knowing I'm working towards a healthier me. I was overweight before I got pregnant so I have another 40lbs to lose after these first 10 to get to pre-preggo weight. I love having other new moms here for support so please feel free to add me. I'm super motivated so we can push eachother!
  • HappyNelle
    Options
    I'm 10 weeks pp and I'm also attempting the 30DS! Day 20 - I'm sooo sore.. I'm really pleased to find another mum doing it, I have been a little worried it is too intense for us! Someone told me crunches was not the way to treat a mummy tummy so I have been doing a mashup of other ab work outs. Best of luck with the shredding!
  • kylieeduh09
    Options
    Walking is fine. Just don't tire yourself out too much, your body is trying to repair itself. :smile:
  • smartblonde529
    smartblonde529 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new baby!!! The tummy flap does go away, it just takes some time. I never thought mine would after having 2 kids 16 months apart, but it slowly is! I started walking a few days after having my daughter and began doing light exercises about 4 weeks after. You have to listen to your body though as each person is different and having a baby takes a huge tole on your body. You will get where you want to be in no time at all though. Feel free to add me as a friend, I love meeting new people = )
  • kirstina_23
    kirstina_23 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hi cassie sorry just seen your comment. Yeah Im stuck so im trying to do something to kick start it again .Im still breastfeeding ( hes 4 months) so I know one prob is i dont eat enough

Ladies im starting a challenge tomorrow I would love for you to join

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/787038-30-day-shred-wanna-join?page=1#posts-11734778
  • Whiteury05
    Options
    I am only 4 weeks postpartum, and I am hoping after my Doctors appointment on Nov. 15th I will be able to workout again. Breastfeeding and working out and having a High maintenance baby, I am wondering how much time I will be able to squeeze in! :(
  • cygnet246
    Options
    I had all these plans to run soon after my daughter's birth, but I was just not ready until about 7-8 weeks. I thought that since she was my third baby it would be quicker recovery. Ha.

I say to listen to your body ;)
  • jasha13
    jasha13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just had my baby on 10/18 and will be starting the 30 day sherd on MOnday (November 12) so almost 4 weeks.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I had my son on 10/24 via c-section so now I have a lovely little puffy flap (ick! :sick:) I am just doing a little walking right now, have my follow-up appointment today to see how I'm healing. I'm watching my food...sorta...and exclusively pumping so at least I'm earning back some calories. I gained 50+ lbs during the pregnancy and lost about 26 lbs so far and am definitely ready to get at least part of my old body back!

Query - my knees are SHOT from the pregnancy, I overdid it in month 9 when my joints were out of whack and I don't think they're back IN whack yet. Anyone know when our joints will return to normal?