"Dieting During Pregnancy and Child Obesity Risk Linked"

Options
TLCEsq
TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
Interesting article: http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/weight_loss/pregnancy/dieting-pregnancy-child-obesity-risk.htm

I think there's a difference between "dieting" and watching what you eat. For instance, at the end of the week I average about 2250 calories/day and I am in my second trimester (21 weeks). I'm six feet tall and weighed 205 before pregnancy. Granted I need to eat more fruits and veggies and less carbs (hello, bagels!), but I am mindful to not eat like a bulldozer and I eat when I am hungry. HOWEVER, I'm not going to eat 2700 calories/day just because some website (freedieting.com) says I should during pregnancy because I'd be stuffing myself. I take 30-40 minute brisk walks 3-4 times a week, do 30 minutes on a stationary bike 1-2 times a week and lift weights 2 times a week. It's all about balance, right? If I were restricting to like, 1700-1800 calories/day which is clearly weight loss mode for me, then I think there would be a problem.

Replies

• KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am logging but I don't think of it as dieting. Although I admit it is hard to get out of the low calorie mind set. I think of it is as being healthy. I am going to talk to my OB when I finally get in about how much I need to eat. I am aiming more for the maintenance cals or so. It still isn't like I end up eating as much if I eat healthy my cals aren't all that high. I want to get to the end of this pregnancy with a healthy baby and a healthy me.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am logging but I don't think of it as dieting. Although I admit it is hard to get out of the low calorie mind set. I think of it is as being healthy. I am going to talk to my OB when I finally get in about how much I need to eat. I am aiming more for the maintenance cals or so. It still isn't like I end up eating as much if I eat healthy my cals aren't all that high. I want to get to the end of this pregnancy with a healthy baby and a healthy me.

Good for you! Seems that from week 4 of my pregnancy on, I have naturally fluctuated between 2200 - 2350 calories/day (total, not net). It's almost like my body took over for itself and is on autopilot, LOL.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Although I can't say that I'm not watching what I eat...I can also say that I'm not "dieting". Like they said, there is a fine line between "dieting" and "watching what you eat". The statements in that article are so broad that it is really difficult to pin point what they mean...what is "excessive"? Eating half a bag of chips may be excessive to you, but not to me....I'm wishing there were referenced sources to that article which would help us define exactly what they mean by "dieting" and "limiting fat intake".