This is the story of Amelia Pond. And this, is how it ends.

Options
Hikaru37
Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
"Come along Pond, PLEASE"
"Raggedy Man, goodbye!"

Am crying
Just
Just

When the Doctor broke down

No

I cant

Replies

• Cinnamonie
    Options
    I see all my uk friends posting about it already... :( will watch it tonight! I saw them filming this one and I can't wait to see it....good to know I'll need the tissues ready :( I love amy and rory
  • misspenfold
    misspenfold Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much I should say here in case of spoiling things for those who haven't seen it yet. I guess if you don't want to be spoiled you wouldn't be in this thread though?

Anyway, I hated and loved Rory's on-screen end in equal measure. Hated because after all he's been through: POOF! and he's gone. Loved because it reminded me of Tara's from Buffy death back in the day; No chance to say goodbye is in many ways more emotional than the spoken goodbye's like Amy's. Cried like a baby during the whole scene, and I don't usually cry at tv shows.

In many ways I thought this was a more interesting episode for Eleven/River. The Doctor doing his last checks before seeing the Mrs was adorable, as was healing her and kissing her hand *swoon*. Also River trying to hide her broken wrist from him, and then her explanation why, was very sad. She is just a human now (I think). In love with an ageless, immortal god. With the face of a 12 year old. ;) She is trying to protect him from that.

Seriously I really enjoyed this episode. I think it's my favourite for quite a while.
  • NuttyCake
    NuttyCake Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I hated and loved Rory's on-screen end in equal measure. Hated because after all he's been through: POOF! and he's gone.

:cry: That's exactly what I was thinking. I would have loved to have seen his face when Amy appeared. It would have put my mind (and heart) and ease. I wish Moffat would have included that :frown:

I'm still not over this. It's going to take days, weeks, perhaps longer. And I'm not trying to be melodramatic, I just think Arthur Darvill definitely set a new standard for a companions companion and those aren't going to be easy shoes to fill. :brokenheart:

Btw, did anyone else yell at the TV when he walked back to the gravestone?? Lol.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Aaaaahhhh this is too hard to handle! It was so sweet, and so sad. You see so much more of the Doctor's tender side, that he never shows, because he's gotten to love River so much. And let Amy know how much he loves her too. But you also get to see that he's so right when he said all those times before that he was selfish, and the people close to him get hurt, and that's why he kept his distance for so long. But Amy got in there before he could put his guard up, and Rory came along too, and he lost them, and Rory's dad will never know what happened to them. He will just grow old and never see his son or daughter in law again and grow to regret telling them to go with the Doctor.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    "Come along Pond, PLEASE"
    "Raggedy Man, goodbye!"

Am crying
    Just
    Just

When the Doctor broke down

No

I cant

Yes. Yes to this a hundred times. I absolutely lost it when she disappeared, the look on his face, the look! Him begging her to come back and then actually breaking down and crying, omg, I actually literally wept like a damn baby.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

In many ways I thought this was a more interesting episode for Eleven/River. The Doctor doing his last checks before seeing the Mrs was adorable, as was healing her and kissing her hand *swoon*. Also River trying to hide her broken wrist from him, and then her explanation why, was very sad. She is just a human now (I think). In love with an ageless, immortal god. With the face of a 12 year old. ;) She is trying to protect him from that.

Seriously I really enjoyed this episode. I think it's my favourite for quite a while.

That was one of my favorite things about this episode too, the tenderness between 11 and River. I don't think I've ever seen a Doctor fess up to that kind of romantic love or show it so openly. I mean, WE all know that 10 loved Rose, but this was an episode of actually like, relationshipy stuff between 11 and River. I loved it.
  • CollegiateGrief
    Options
    kthrock, I agree with everything you just said.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It was enjoyable, but the plot holes really made it difficult to be totally invested in.

It was a well crafted episode, and decidedly NOT over the top as Moffat is so prone to doing for these sorts of episodes. The noir character being river was great. The communicating through the book was great. The yowza was great. The rapport in the park was also great.

Plot holes? River had a time vortex manipulator. She could have got free of the Angel without breaking her wrist. Perhaps she forgot about it? Where's our techno-babble reason for why she couldn't use it?

Amy and Rory going back in time became a fixed event, because he experienced it. As close as I can tell, these fixed events are like quantum probabilities collapsing. The device of reading ahead in the book in particular brings me to this view. And the Doctor can't go back and get them because time is so messed up in NY around 1930's. So why don't they just travel to another city and he could pick them up there? Why couldn't he get them in 1948?

I know I'm missing the point and am supposed to be feeling all "wah!!" about their leaving, and I will miss their characters immensely, but the inconsistencies are just bugging me.

Did you notice that Amy outlived Rory by a few years, according to the revised head stone? Did you also notice that the headstone changed, despite the whole premise that once something is known, it cannot be changed? That he was buried alone was known.

Gah! I'm going to stop thinking about it, because the more I do, the more holes I notice.

But the acting was fantastic.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Plot holes? River had a time vortex manipulator. She could have got free of the Angel without breaking her wrist. Perhaps she forgot about it? Where's our techno-babble reason for why she couldn't use it?

Amy and Rory going back in time became a fixed event, because he experienced it. As close as I can tell, these fixed events are like quantum probabilities collapsing. The device of reading ahead in the book in particular brings me to this view. And the Doctor can't go back and get them because time is so messed up in NY around 1930's. So why don't they just travel to another city and he could pick them up there? Why couldn't he get them in 1948?

Indeed, just as the Doctor and Amy had travelled back to ancient China to leave a message on the vase for River, so could the Doctor and River not have travelled back to leave a message for Rory & Amy to travel to a meeting point and bring them back to the 21st Century... or indeed á la Back to the Future they could have gone into the distant past, left River's Vortex Manipulator in trust with Wells Fargo to be delivered to Amy & Rory who could then have used it to get back.

After all he was able to go back and find their picnic basket with the last page still in place... like anything left abandoned in Central Park would not be a) re-acquired by person(s) unknown or b) deemed a security threat and destroyed in a controlled explosion... and how come Amy's reading glasses were there too ??? ...or was Amy's afterword really her way of telling the Doctor that they wanted to settle down and lead normal lives, as they had been planning to do anyhow.

Ok... way too much over-analysis....

Yes it was sad and touching and a great device to "kill off" Rory & Amy without actually killing them off and it's a pity the Xmas Special is not going to be a Doctor & River adventure... signifying that the two had perhaps travelled together for a while afterwards... oh I'm sure it'll be all tied up nicely... and Xmas is only 12 weeks away!! :happy:
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    Best saddest ending ever. The waterworks first came when her and Rory jumped off the building but when she sad goodbye raggity man" and then her name showed on the tombstone I LOST it. Great episode though and I will miss the Ponds very much.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Dunno why, but I was grinning like an idiot during the last 10 minutes of the episode. I guess I just enjoy dramatic moments.

Now hit me with something truly clever, that makes my jaw drop to the floor, like the "Something borrowed, something blue, something old, something new" of the S5 finale - which I figured out a few seconds before it was uttered, and then you've got me.
  • Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    She is just a human now (I think). In love with an ageless, immortal god.

She merely gave up her remaining regenerations. I doubt that caused her to become completely human -- but we won't know for sure without listening to her heart(s). She still has all of her Time Lord knowledge that was given to her, but I don't think the Gallifreyan biology (presence or lack of) has ever been touched upon yet. Of course it could be something similar to what happened in Shada where Time Lord knowledge was given temporarily to a human in order to fly a TARDIS without going through 65 years of training...
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    One of the biggest criticisms about Moffat taking over from Davies was that his supposed inability to write emotional stories.

Discuss.
  • CollegiateGrief
    Options
    One of the biggest criticisms about Moffat taking over from Davies was that his supposed inability to write emotional stories.

Discuss.

I would say that's very false. From the beginning his stories were deeper, like The Girl in the Fireplace. It was one of my favorites before I even realized who Moffat was. Davies were so much... cheesier. Real drama as opposed to melodrama. And he basically invented the current doctor's heart, the arrogance and child-like wide-eyed-ness, and all the wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimeiness we now enjoy. Davies was safe.
  • CollegiateGrief
    Options
    That might have sounded a bit harsh on Davies. He did a lot in bringing the show back and getting it off the ground again, making it popular and relevant. He was good. I just love Moffat's vision so much more.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    I have to agree. "The Girl in the Fireplace" is likely my favourite Tennant Episode, for all of the obvious reasons.

Davies threw everything he had at DW, which included themes conducive to ratings, so that it would survive. He went with many "safe" themes because that improved the show's chances. In a way Moffat is reaping the reward of that groundwork, and can afford to be a bit more daring.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    OH GOD, The Feels!
    f34.gif
  • CollegiateGrief
    Options
    Still sad :(
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i was bored through the entire episode. it was nothing like rose/ten. kinda depressing.
    i wanted something amazing.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    it was nothing like rose/ten.

I agree, and good thing too!

I already saw Rose leave (twice). A third time would have been boring.

Also, there was no traditional love story between Amelia and the Doctor like there was with Rose. How could it be the same departure?