Have you taken progesterone to start a cycle?

Options
I'm about to start a 10 day dose of progesterone to more or less induce my cycle. With this pesky PCOS my Doctor has decided to go this route to kick start a cycle so I can continue Chlomid. Without it, I could be waiting another 55 days for a cycle which isn't entirely helpful when you're TTC.

Has anyone else gone this route? What side effects if any did you have?

Replies

• mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've taken it several times before I got pregnant with my son, and a few times after I had him. The OB/GYN advised me that if I went over 90 days without a TOM, that cancer can set up. No big side effects here. It's no worse than when you ovulate and are in Luteal Phase waiting for a positive pregnancy test of your TOM.
  • Caryn03
    Caryn03 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have taken this progesterone (called Prometrium (sp?)) for my last 4 cycles. I do not have a regular period at all. So, I need to take this to induce my cycle to start. It worked for me everytime, except for once it did (not sure why). They just told me that month I was ready to ovulate or anything.

But to answer your questions, Yes I take it for 10 days and then 3-5 days once your done you should start your cycle. My first time I took it my cycle started on day 10 of the pills. Side effect for me is they would make me really loopy. I felt like I was drunk :). It doesn't happen until about an hour after I had taken it and last for 30 - 45 min's. So, I do not recommend driving about an hour or so after you take it. But you never know, you could react just fine to it.

I am actually in a 2ww and I don't product enough progesterone. So I have to take it now as well, but vaginally (I know TMI). But this is so if this round worked for me I have enough progestrone. This portion of it is new to me. But I don't have any side effects this way.
  • 2012AMB
    2012AMB Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it! It's good to know others have been there.
  • ShannonJohnson
    ShannonJohnson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have taken Provera which is basically the same thing but that is the brand I always get perscribed. I really do not ever get my period on my own so my Dr says that it is good for me to do after about 50-60 days on my cycle cause it is good to just clear everything in your uterus out, plus hope that it kick starts my system to make it through a cycle alone.

I had no side effects. It has been different each time for me, I've gotten it on day 6 or 7 of the pills, I've gotten it on day 10, day 11 and this last time even on day 14! They said it could take up to a week after you are done with the pills to get your period so it is different for everyone.
  • 2012AMB
    2012AMB Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Despite a surgery that my Dr. thought may help clear up some issues preventing me from having a natural cycle, it hasn't worked that way. It's been over 50 days since my last cycle so it's time to help my body kick it into gear!
  • gagirlkat
    Options
    I haven't had a period since I went off BCP (Yaz) and my Dr. proscribed me provera on Tuesday. I am hoping it jump starts my system. Also going in on Monday for blood lab work.
  • powellfam2006
    powellfam2006 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yup several times... be warned your first period in a long time will be pretty bad.. so stock up...but you will feel so much better after it is all over!! Good luck :)
  • chickpea00
    Options
    I haven't had a cycle since I stopped taking my BC in April and my doc prescribed the same thing for me. I am kind of nervous about taking it after reading the ridiculously long list of side effects, but hope it jump starts my system as well.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Chickpea, it's a lot better than the side effects of not having a period. If you go over 90 days and not pregnant it can set up possibility of uterine cancer.
  • minor007
    Options
    without it I pretty much for the most part don't have a cycle. Been taking it off and on for about 3 or 4 years. I thought I was going in to early menopause but hormones were still good so if I want to have a period I take it. Kind of nice to be able to plan for it. That is the upside. I had already had my children before I even found out I had PCOS. I lost every other pregnancy, just thought I was to blame cause I messed up on my birth control pills but then found out later what the real culprit was.
  • michellevt725
    michellevt725 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm taking it right now. I was on CD55 or so when I called the Dr and I have a wedding that I'd like to not get my period for in 3 weekends. I've taken it several times before. The first time I took it my Gyno scared me to death about how my period would be. It was nothing, I used lite tampons and that was all. I've had worse periods after cylces that I've o'd on femara.
  • chelle866
    Options
    hiya :)

ive never had a natural cycle and have been taking provera 4 times a year for 5 years.

i take 3 tablets a day for 10 days and generally get a "period" 2 days after ive finished the dose.

i take it 4 times a year to keep my womb "healthy", ive never had a problem with them, beside the terrible pain that i get with my cycle, now my gynea has prescribed me mefanamic acid tablets which i take for the pain and they are brilliant. only downside is you can only take 1 up to 3 times a day and they knock the pain off for about 2 hours.

my "periods" do last 2 weeks when i take the provera but it doesnt bother me considering i only have 4 a year :)

gynea is starting me on clomid after christmas :D

good luck :) xx